⚽ Football | World Cup 2022

Shockingly, I do not see a thread for the 2022 World Cup! Unless my search capabilities are crap, that is.

In any case, I’m also in shock that after England’s poor performances lately against Italy and Germany they still are 7/1 to win the tournament. It must be a weak field this go round.

On the positive side I must say I like England’s new away kit:

In any case, will there be much interest in Taiwan for the world cup? (I hope so since I should be in-country during that time!)

3 Likes

English fans are mugs and will bet no matter the price. The odds are a reflection of how much will be/ has been bet on it.

There may be some truth to that. Maybe!

I thought Italy might have good chance until I remembered they didn’t qualify :rofl:

Edit:
Here are the odds as of today:
Brazil @ 9/2
France @ 6/1
England @ 7/1
Argentina @ 7/1
Spain @ 8/1
Germany @ 10/1
Netherlands @ 12/1
Portugal @ 12/1
Belgium @ 14/1

Edit: Added full list.
All the other countries in order of odds:
Denmark
Croatia
Uruguay
Senegal
Switzerland
USA
Poland
Serbia
Mexico
Ecuador
Canada
Wales
Cameroon
Morocco
Japan
South Korea
Ghana
Australia
Qatar
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Costa Rica

1 Like

Not sure about Brazil and Argentina, but all the big teams in Europe have not performed well of late, so England has as good a chance as any team.

1 Like

Yeah, must be. After seeing the England highlights from this year I thought I may just not even bother watching this world cup (which could never really happen). But after seeing the odds I’ve changed my mind. The whole field is weak except for Brazil. All the European teams seem to be running on empty right now.

Seriously confused how Italy is not in there. With such an open field they would have had a chance to win the thing.

Considering the location, this will be a South American World Cup. Either Brazil or Argentina will win this.
If Messi win it with Argentina, he will be remembered as one of the GOAT, even ahead of CR7.

1 Like

I think he does not need that to be considered one of the GOATs. Of course depends on how many GOATs you want to list. Cruyff is definitely one of them and he did not win a WC.

1 Like

Based on achievements, for sure Messi gets the GOAT accolade. Personally, I think Ronaldo is better. At the international level Messi has a great team around him. Portugal are “B” level imho (only sliding up to the A level because of Ronaldo) and so Ronaldo has to work harder for his goals.
So, if we have one GOAT, I think it is Ronaldo.
Oh, and as for Pele - brilliant but I dont feel the competition was anywhere near the level that it is today.

Let’s see, Top 11 [since the 70s]

Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Maradona, Ronaldo [Brazil], Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo [Portugal], Ronaldinho, van Basten, Platini?

Gullit
Buffon
Beckham
etc. probably not GOAT material

Haha! England? Don’t make me fall over laughing. They are pathetic.

That could actually be a good starting point for them, low expectations, less pressure by fans and media, overachieve in the tournament.

1 Like

1 Like

I always bet Belgium. One day

1 Like

Hope springs eternal in the human breast.

Good list there. For me, I would have Maradona and Ronaldo (Portugal) as #1s. Then Pele (due to less competitive nature of his era). Messi 4th.

The top level that all people would agree as GOATs are Pele and Maradona. Let’s consider this as class 1.
In my opinion everyome else not close to them. The closest would be Cruyff, Beckenbauer, di Stefano, Zidane, Platini, Messi, Ronaldo Fenomeno, CR7… all on level 1.5.
Ronaldinho, Zico, van Basten, Gullit, Matthews, Maldini, are all below them on level 2.

The Groups:

Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands
Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales
Group C: Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland
Group D: France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia
Group E: Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan
Group F: Belgium, Ghana, Morocco, Croatia
Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon
Group H: Portugal, Canada, Uruguay, South Korea

1 Like

I guess Italy missed out because of Wales. Which world cup do they think they’re in? :slight_smile:

No need to waste any time watching the games.
Here is what will happen:

Groups winners:
Group A: Ecuador, Netherlands
Group B: England, USA
Group C: Argentina, Mexico
Group D: France, Denmark
Group E: Spain, Germany
Group F: Belgium, Croatia
Group G: Brazil, Serbia
Group H: Portugal, Uruguay

Round of 16 winners:
Group A: Netherlands