World Healthcare efficiency rankings

Taiwan #9
China #20 (edit change from 19)
UK #35
Germany #39
Russia #53
USA #55

Feels good going to the doc in Taiwan.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-09-19/u-s-near-bottom-of-health-index-hong-kong-and-singapore-at-top

2 Likes

How is China 19th?

They barely have enough doctors. And if you want them to not kill you, better bribe them for anything serious. Thereā€™s no que to anything, itā€™s shove your way pass everyone, and Iā€™m not joking. Hundreds pile up on a few windows to get medicine and try to push their way to the front. Also counterfeit medicine are often sold to the poor.

Itā€™s cheap apparently, and a good example of you get what you pay for. Pay a little and get a little.

My friends father is a Chinese American doctor. Immigrated from China. Told me before I went there I should fly out of any medical issues outside of the basics like a cold.

I got pneumonia in China, staying in their hospital is not something Iā€™d wish on almost anyone apart from maybe child rapists etc

Harsh !! I am curious , what was so bad ? Everything?

That ranking is pretty one-dimensional. They basically only measure the share of healthcare expenditure and populationā€™s life expectancy. Since the healthcare expenditure is low in China and the life expectancy is pretty good for a developing country, itā€™s naturally ranked leagues above the US where the healthcare expenditure is off-the-charts and the life expectancy is the lowest amongst developed countries. It doesnā€™t take into account the quality of care or the experience at the hospitals at all.

Generally it was more that no one obeyed the rules. Intensive care wasnā€™t bad, but I was moved during recovery and it was things like almost no one obeying hospital rules. Smoking everywhere, constant very high noise levels for 24 hours, terrible hygiene, very dirty toilets etc. It was very dirty. The doctors often miscommunicated with each other too despite lots of paper work. Just a mess. However that was 10 years ago so maybe itā€™s better now.

So at least some mitigating things ā€¦:wink: Sounds bad.

yeah even some of the doctors smoked in the hospital . And the noise made it very hard to sleep. Itā€™s bearable but yeah not nice especially ith any kind of respiratory condition!

That is hard, especially where the family is the only support and visiting so often . Ups and downs , I guess

1 Like

To be fair they went more out of their way for me more than the locals as I had to wait a while before visitors came. And yes family is expected to do a lot. However, thatā€™s a cultural thing.

1 Like

Awful. I wasnā€™t even that sick. I just got my meds and left. I canā€™t imagine going through that if I was seriously ill.

I believe China also under reports on early deaths, especially from those villages where they dump carcinogens in the river and whole villages die from cancer without much medical care.

What tier of city? Iā€™ve seen hospitals over there, good and not so good, in first and second tier cities, but Iā€™ve never seen one that resembled an unlicensed bus station.

The hygiene aspect ā€“ I heard horror stories while I was there, but they were always from years earlier.

(Thatā€™s only if air quality doesnā€™t count as a hygiene issue. :mask:)

Would you consider chengdu as first tier? I also went in Wuhan but thatā€™s 2nd tier and was a absolutely a mess. Chengdu at least had a international department that spoke English if you have the travel insurance that covers it.

Apparently theyā€™re both ā€œnew tier 1ā€ as of 2017.

I mean chengdu is decent enough. I personally prefer it to other big tier 1 cities. But I wouldnā€™t categorize wuhan in tier 1. Itā€™s not very nice. All my clothes smelled like pollution.