World of Forumosa?

Read this article and thought of Miltownkid first, then the rest of the site.

[quote]“The definition of MMO will change - the line will blur,” said Mark Kern, president of Red 5 Studios.

"It will be really hard to tell what is and what isn’t an MMO. There will be a lot of experiments in convergence between social networking and MMOs.

“Five years from now a social networking site without a 3D universe will look like a dinosaur.”

He said there was a lot of similarity between how a social networking site cultivated and grew a community and the work done in MMOs. [/quote]

Will forumosa one day be a 3D ‘world’?

Isn’t a 3D world just like… going outside?

Bah, the universe is 12D, and some brainy types have come up with a 248D thingy: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%E2%82%88 … ematics%29

No, the sun is shining outside and there were interesting aromas to experience on my morning walk.

Now I’m in a windowless office, wondering how a 3d forumosa would work. Would there be room for all of us and Almas John?

Thank you for posting this. I’m not a gamer, but I have heard of World of Warcraft (never played it, tho)

I can’t believe I actually know this guy! Mark Kern lived in Alabang (southern Metro Manila) when we were in junior high school. We were classmates in 7th and 8th grade. Looking back, it makes perfect sense that he would be involved in something like WoW - he introduced me to RPGs (I never could get the hang of those) and showed me where “Filbars” (at the old Goldcrest in Makati) was to buy “AD&D modules”.

And he’s since parlayed that hobby into the largest MMO on the planet and a cool US$ 18.5M? Chalk one up to Doing What You Love in your life. I gotta check outta this rat race, sheesh!

French politics have already crossed over to the virtual world. Second Life

It puts an interesting twist into politics and life in general when you can throw grenades at your opponents or barrage them with a herd of pigs, all in cyberspace so there are no physical repercussions. Don’t like what they’re saying in IP? Who’s up for storming the IP forum armed with guns and multicolored pachyderms?

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Imagine directing your avatar through forumosaville into the unmoderated areas of the site, suddenly there isn’t any caped crusader to maintain law and order. You recognise poster XYZ standing on his soapbox, and run over to kick him in the nuts.

But we need more females on forumosa, Lola, not fewer.