World of Warcraft

I have been waiting for World of Warcraft for ages. I have seen it in 7-11, Blockbuster and several places but it is either 60 or 150 NT$. That’s way too cheap and I suspect its just an offline demo. Does anyone know if these versions are the full game, and if not when will the full game be released? Also, does anyone know where I can buy a PC game called F.E.A.R in Taiwan?

Offline demo would be impossible, or at least stupid, for an MMORPG. It’s the real deal, although I’m not sure if it’s still the open beta or not. Anyway, they’d be stupid to try and sell it much higher - have you seen the price every other MMORPG is here? They make the money out of people buying time for their accounts rather than the software proper.

And as for FEAR, I think it might be available in Guanghua Market - I saw a couple of posters for it there the other day.

All online games in Taiwan are sold for 50-150nt, with sample points and stuff. In fact it can be downloaded off the net as well. The point is you buy time for the accounts rather than pay by the month in the USA. Well you can pay by the month too, it costs around 350 NT, ask for a “month card” or something. It seems that not everyone has credit cards and most people arent confortable with sending credit card information over the net. So they use this method instead.

The low price deals are beta tests for the full game, with which you can play for a limited time. They are all in Chinese. It’s free to play for about a month, and then you’ll need to start paying about NT$5 an hour to play WoW, or $450 for a year.

I started by buying the $59 DVD. Then I walked around killing things and talking to people with question marks hovering over their heads. I can figure out their quests because they’ll show pictures of the things I’m supposed to get.

Most of the things are the same for the US WoW and the Taiwan system, so you can check the web if you’re not sure what to do at a certain time and can’t read the Chinese.

how did you manage to register? I slugged my way through it all only to tell me that the system was busy, try again later

or maybe a more accurate question is: when did you register?

I can see an advantage to playing the Taiwanese version of WoW be becuase of something like internet speed or perhaps the idea you can play at so many internet cafes.

I played the North American version for many many months before finally quitting. Internet speed rarely had any affect on the game. I guess if you’re afraid of using your CC on the internet there might be a problem.

Not sure why you would want to play without being able to read the Chinese that’s in game.

The setup is the same here as it is in the States, except there’s a bit more flexibility here in Taiwan. The US version you have to pay per month whereas the Taiwanese version you can pay per hour which isn’t worth it if you’re gonna play a lot. Either way it’s the exact same game.

Another thing is if people can’t read Chinese too well why would you play the Taiwanese version? You can use Taiwanese CC’s to register for the US version and they’ve recently released “Oceanic” servers meaning that Austrialian and people in the Far East can congregate on these servers for a better gaming experience such as easier to find groups for quests, better raid times and just generally play with people in your timezone.

There are plenty of sites out there that will sell you a legit CD key for a fraction of the price since they don’t have the ship the game to you. Then you can get someone to burn your a copy of the disk or just DL the game off the net.

Someone above mentioned 5nt an hour OR 450 for the year. 450nt would only pay for a few months in the U.S. , not to mention the 40 bucks american for the game to start.

I’m pretty sure that you can only play on servers that are designated for your country…and you can’t choose. There is a web site that will register your game on their computers to allow you to play on American servers: prod.gamerloot.net/catalog/prod … cts_id=359

I only know of one place that you can DL the game from (the link above). And they’re actually a bit more expensive then if you bought the game yourself. But if you live somewhere where they don’t sell the English version…you’re going to pay it.

Someone above mentioned 5nt an hour OR 450 for the year. 450nt would only pay for a few months in the U.S. , not to mention the 40 bucks American for the game to start.

I’m pretty sure that you can only play on servers that are designated for your country…and you can’t choose. There is a web site that will register your game on their computers to allow you to play on American servers: prod.gamerloot.net/catalog/prod … cts_id=359

I only know of one place that you can DL the game from (the link above). And they’re actually a bit more expensive then if you bought the game yourself. But if you live somewhere where they don’t sell the English version…you’re going to pay it.[/quote]

I checked that link and you cant download the game. It doesnt say that anywhere.

The US version of WoW costs $14.99USD per month, I’ve never played the Taiwanese version yet but I have played Lineage 2 here in Taiwan. Lineage 2 uses “Gash” cards or “points cards” to play and each point costs about 1 NT. So in order to have unlimited playtime for a month you’d need 350 points or $350NT. So although it’s just an assumption I doubt WoW would be so cheap as only costing $450NT a year.

If you buy the US version of the game you can play it from anywhere in the world as long as you have an account with em. I’m in Taiwan and I registered my US WoW account with my Taiwanese address using a Taiwanese credit card.

I recall seeing a couple auctions on the Ebay and Yahoo for WoW cdkeys which were pretty cheap compared to other places like the link provided by Mordeth. But like they say, beggers can’t be choosers so you might have to pay a bit more to get the game if you’re not in the US or Australia.

LOL heres a vid on WoW, but u have to download it, coz putfile is acting wierd purepwnage.com/

I went and bought it from Guanghua, along with FEAR. I used Gamesloot.com to activate and am currently using my free month trial. I honestly have to say that this is the slickest, most addictive and deep game I have ever played. I play on Oceania servers, and even though the ping is about 300, this is not a first-person shooter so I don’t even notice any lag. I will certainly buy another gamecard from Gamersloot.com. What a great service. BTW, when I bought it, it was the last copy. They had all the latest games except for Call of Duty 2, which I already have anyway (great game, BTW).

:astonished: !!! You got FEAR? I hate you Taipei people…I need to find this Guanghua place. Are you refering to the market underneath a raised highway that everyone else talks about?

Also you say you used gamersloot to activate…does that mean I was right about not being able to play on USA servers if you activate from here?

Yeah, that’s the one. Corner of Xinsheng South Rd. and Bade Rd. If you go to the top floor of the two, head down the left side go right to the far end, it’s the last game shop on the right. They’ve got a few English games; Path of Neo, WoW, Guild Wars, Civ IV, FEAR, and a few others. But you pay for the privilege - they’re like NT$1600 per game.

There’s a tiny place on the top floor, left side, far end on the left that have been pretty helpful in the past. They managed to get me a copy of Everquest 2 in English, though it took them a couple of weeks.

:astonished: !!! You got FEAR? I hate you Taipei people…I need to find this Guanghua place. Are you refering to the market underneath a raised highway that everyone else talks about?

Also you say you used gamersloot to activate…does that mean I was right about not being able to play on USA servers if you activate from here?[/quote]

The place I used is on 2nd Floor Guanghua indoor market. If you use the entrance that faces the road leading from Zhongshan Xinsheng station, go up the stair and turn left. WOW was 2350 NT$, and FEAR was 1650 NT$. WOW is a great buy. You just pay Gamersloot to sell you a game card and activate the game on US territory. You can play on US servers if you want. I had that option. I used my credit card to pay Gamersloot. I had to say why I had to be called away from my billing address in the UK. They called my Mom in the UK and me in Taiwan for verification within 30 minutes. Then my account was activated with my one month free trial. The game is great and if anyone wants to get together online in the evenings I’m more than up for it. I am only a level 10 Nightelf Rogue, but I love doing all the little things like using herbs and stuff to make things. Its great, but I have to cut down. This game is freaking addictive. BTW the servers have a 15-20 minute wait on Sundays.

Oops, my bad - it is left, not right.

Reaperjim are you on the PvE server or the PvP ones, from what I’ve read the PvE server (Khaz’Goroth) is already massively overpopulated with queues of 300 or more during US prime time. I wanted to start a fresh toon on there but I decided to wait until they release more Oceanic servers in the future.

Since you’re lvl 10 you should have gotten your first talent point, be sure to check a couple forums to see how you should spec. If you need a couple pointers feel free to post here and I’ll help you out, lemme link a couple good Rogue FAQ’s for you to check out if you’re new to the game.

General Rogue FAQ

Another Rogue FAQ

[quote=“Qrap”]Reaperjim are you on the PvE server or the PvP ones, from what I’ve read the PvE server (Khaz’Goroth) is already massively overpopulated with queues of 300 or more during US prime time. I wanted to start a fresh toon on there but I decided to wait until they release more Oceanic servers in the future.

Since you’re lvl 10 you should have gotten your first talent point, be sure to check a couple forums to see how you should spec. If you need a couple pointers feel free to post here and I’ll help you out, lemme link a couple good Rogue FAQ’s for you to check out if you’re new to the game.

General Rogue FAQ

I just leveled up to 11 and have hopped on a Hippogrif to Darkshore. Cool journey. Can I get my own ride later?

Another Rogue FAQ[/quote]

Well you can’t buy a flying mount, not until the expansion atleast. What you can get is a rideable sabre mount, they cost 100 gold and you’ll be able to purchase em at lvl 40. The price drops down to 90g if you reach “Honorable” faction rank with Darnassus, press the “U” key to see what your current faction is.

Oh yeah talking of Gryphon/Hippo masters, be sure to speak to every one of them when you reach a new town so you activate that flight path (similar to teleportation points in Diablo 2 if you’ve played that game) so you can just fly back next time instead of running.

If you need any help with quests you can check out Thottbot or Allakhazam’s for more indepth info and spoilers. Here’s a website with map’s to all the zones Maps. The aformentioned sites can be classed as “spoiler” sites so don’t use em if you don’t like spoilers.

There are a lot of mods you can download which will enchance WoW and you can get em here Cursed Gaming