🌎 🙇 World | Service getting much worse outside Asia

The employer is the one who does the actual background check. The employee doesn’t have to do any work other than provide their SSN and DOB, etc.

I don’t think anyone who successfully got hired into an entry level job would care that their employer ran a background check on them.

I flew through the US on the way to and from Canada this summer. Airport bar in San Francisco was very busy and understaffed, the one person working wasn’t stressing herself, but was pleasant enough. There were several people who walked away from the bar without a drink because she wasn’t hustling and paying attention, but the bartender shouldn’t have been waiting tables to begin with :man_shrugging:

At the same airport, I had an 11 hour layover so I went to the counter and said although it was very early I’d really appreciate a boarding pass to get past security into the interesting part of the airport. The nice lady said she would do that for me, and then said 11 hours was too long tobwait and just put me on an earlier flight. Great service!

In Vancouver, service was almost always great. It did occur to me a few times on that trip how nice everyone was. There was one person who was maybe having a bad day, or just shouldn’t work in service, but they weren’t rude just completely disinterested

10 Likes

I had arrived at hotel in Milan early more than once as my flights from Asia arrive at 7am. I asked can my store my bags till check in time, and answer was would like to store in your room, I can check in so you can a shower or nap after a long flight. So I think do not think always true (its a lot on how you treat people too, saying Buongiorno or other greeting helps a lot in getting good service)

4 Likes

This is because the threat level has increased dramatically. Taiwan has the law against public insult and defamation and you can see it at work here, but I do see people generally acting rude or frustrated towards people in supermarkets or anywhere else in the UK, not all the time or even that often, but it does happen quite commonly, and if you were in that job it’d be exhausting quite quickly.

Shops close down because security and police can’t really do anything about shoplifters (false imprisonment is a way more serious crime than a shoplifting offence so think twice about stopping someone running off with something) so you get organised shoplifting gangs now, steal-to-order and all that, and the police is not popular at the moment at all.

Maybe it’s regional? I’ve been in Dallas, Texas at the moment and the vast majority of people 99.9% have been really wonderful in spite of wages not matching inflation.
If I’m in a good mood, I get the opportunity to interact with great folks. And vice-versa…

1 Like

COVID did a number on the service industry. In my home country in Europe it’s now often staffed by foreigners with poor English skills and little training or teenagers doing part time work in the Summer and also no training. Staff always chopping and changing. Little effort needed as well by many as they can always find another job in the same industry. In Taiwan they may try to just use robots and QR codes but it’s not going to improve on the existing service which has always generally been… whatever. Except for the convenience stores, they are quick anyway.
Public services are WAY better in Taiwan than most countries . Not even 2x, more like 5x better!

2 Likes

Really , their employment numbers are phenomenal and average pay there is actually good. For any professional folks and most middle class it’s probably never been better except for maybe the 80s. USD is strong and they have great purchasing power overseas. The USA is a consumers wet dream.
Yes stuff is expensive there for those poorest folks on minimum wage that is a big challenge ESPECIALLY if they get sick.

1 Like

I got guys in Cali complaining about paying 10 or 15nt per kWh for electricity. Cost to exist in America is astronomical unless you sleep in a tent it seems.

The US is not a good place to be poor, not a good place to be sick. It is one of the only examples I can think of among advanced industrial nations where the life expectancy of males is dropping . . . :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

In Mexico, services excels at courtesy and friendliness, more so than speed.

US is only good if you live away from big cities.

Some of the worst health outcomes in the US are in rural places such as West Virginia.

Living in the bigger cities though certainly will cost a lot nowadays. Taiwan is similar in that way, isn’t it.

Guy

Yea, but inner cities are not only poorly developed, the crime is bad too, high odds of getting shot. It’s probably “cheaper” to live in due to high crime too.

West Virginia is a bit more like Russia, extremely poor yet extremely republican.

But I’m really speaking of suburbs. Low crime, good healthcare (if you can afford it) but not cheap to live in either.