World's Happiest Country 2019

these surveys… well… based on what I experienced not sure if this list is entirely correct :smiley:

Like you said, happiness can’t be quantified. Neither can misery. Those dickheads lead empty lives; they have everything they want except love, respect and accomplishments. They won’t leave a legacy, except that of entitled twat. Is that better than leading the drone’s life of frenzied hand-to-mouth desperation? Eh, at least that keeps their days busy. Choose your poison.

Or maybe imagining those dickheads are miserable makes the drones’ lives just a little more bearable. :wink:

Let me live in my dream world please.

Salaries?

1 Like

You would know if you read the methodology.

Just. Tell. Him!

You don’t always have to be snarky towards people. It’s okay to be helpful once in a while.

At least we know you’re not from Finland, Mr Grumpypants!

“The survey, conducted by Gallup, uses a three-year rolling average of survey responses around six factors: GDP per capita; social support; life expectancy; freedom to make life choices; generosity; and corruption levels.”

GDP per capita is obvious (but with the caveat that there seems to be much hidden wealth in the country). Generosity? I have no idea. Corruption? Probably not high but I would have to check to be certain.

They use GDP per capita adjusted for purchasing power.

Everyone know North Korea is the happiest country in the world based on the reports from them. You’re not allowed to be unhappy there.

2 Likes

Loads of them are miserable bastards, nearly topped myself after living over there. :grinning:

Scandinavia, where people can literally see through you without looking at you.

My understanding is that Taiwan does very well in this regard. So then what is the cause of bringing the ranking down for Taiwan? Or is 25th pretty good for Taiwan (assuming Icon is correct that this is the ranking)? Probably not a bad ranking, actually.

Let’s see… China: 93

Bhutan, the Happiest Place on Earth (or is that Disneyland?): 95

Yep, checks out.

1 Like

Yeah, wasn’t Bhutan the happiest place a couple years ago? These lists are baloney.

1 Like

According to its own home-grown “Gross National Happiness” index, sure. I like to compare GNH with North Korea’s Juche.

There was another list floating around that surveyed “expats” on the internet. I always wanted to stuff the ballots and propel South Sudan to number 1.

The source ranking Bhutan #1 was a different one and that happened once, in like 2006. :roll:

Nordic countries have always been on top with this one.

I remember Costa Rica was the happiest country before. I loved visiting as well, really beautiful country.

Oh it was a different list? Well, that just shows how subjective (at best) or completely fraudulent (at worst) these lists are if they have such disparate placings.

And how do you go from number 1 to number 93 in 13 years anyway? Did they have a few 9/11s in that period? C’mon it’s bull.

1 Like

Different methodologies result in different rankings. This one incorporates parameters like life expectancy and GDP per capita. A poor country would never score high though a rich country could score poorly (e.g. Japan, Korea, HK all have horrible placements) because they have this variable called “dystopia residual”, which I guess is more subjective (so it probably just means that people there aren’t very happy or something). But there are exceptions, such as…

Costa Rica, which scored very well. Higher than for example, Germany, despite being a developing country.

I don’t think it’s bad. If you take a look at the countries ranked above they tend to be countries that are just better in almost all fronts like Switzerland and Denmark and Australia and shit.

Japan, Korea and Hong Kong are pretty bad, though. They are ranked in the #50s or even like #76 in HK’s case.

Meanwhile, this survey ranks Taiwan near the bottom in terms of people’s stress level and well-being. :thinking:

https://wellbeing.cigna.com