World's hottest chile pepper discovered

ahh…here they are…

Tepin pepper 100k to 265k Scoville Units…also called chili pateens or bird peppers.

Capsicum annuum var. glabrisculum, also known as Chiletepin, Tepin peppers or “birdÂ’s eye” peppers are supposedly one of the hottest peppers in the world. Some chile enthusiasts argue that the Tepin is hotter than the habanero or Red Savina. These tiny peppers are about 3/8″ round to slightly oval, and are found in the deserts of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Northern Mexico. The word “Tepin” comes from the Nahuatl Mexican word meaning “flea”. In 1995, Texans named the Jalapeno pepper the official pepper of Texas, but two years later, the Tepin was named the official native pepper of Texas.

Them hot little buggers!

Hint: Do NOT drink water or beer to quench the pepper fire…it doesn’t work. Capsaicin isn’t water or alcohol soluble, but it is soluble in fats. Which means that when you O.D. on chile peppers or pepper sauce, the worst thing is a glass of icewater (which merely spreads the undiluted capsaicin around your mouth and tongue).

IMO milkfat is best, and it breaks down the capsaicin almost immediately.

Not butter or cheese, but a swig of heavy cream, half and half, or a few spoonfuls of high-fat ice cream like B&J or Haagen Daas.

If you accidentally eat a few bird peppers in a Thai restaurant, ask them to bring you some coconut ice cream, which they always have.

home.att.net/~larvalbugrex/birdpepper.html

Yeah, I know bird peppers. These are different – they’re not capsicums. Cut open a tiny little bird pepper, for example, and it’ll look just like other peppers, i.e., full of seeds.
These things I got are more like tiny coffee beans or something, with a single hard seed surrounded by green flesh. Or maybe more like peppercorns or something.

Has anyone tried this or seen any of the various Marie Sharp’s sauces in Taiwan? Belize has an embassy here, so maybe someplace carries it.[/quote]
I’ve recently seen several varieties of this hot sauce in Jason’s (Banqiao) and in Mitsukoshi (Tianmu). Each bottle is sells for about NT$300.

I thought the Scotch bonnet was the stongest…

Me too. They look nice a tasty until they blow your head off

The supermarket in Muitsukoshi near the 101 has chipotle pepper sauce which is really decent as well as some other kinds, all for under NT$50 a bottle…

isn’t shan hu jiao some kinda sea coral…? btw, what’s the hottest sauce you guys have ever tasted? and if it’s homemade, wud you care to share?

nytimes.com/2010/09/21/scien … ppers.html

An interesting article on the science behind the chili and our love of the pain.