Worldwide wireless hotspots

I’m noticing that free wireless access is not really widespread in other parts of the globe yet, US and Europe included.
Or am I wrong?

I just scanned this site (which is just one company) to see how much wireless access there is around Thailand’s islands if I wanted to take a working holiday, and seems not much, AT ALL, with the exception of Phuket airport!
trustive.com/

Interestingly, the Philippines is far more ‘wired’ than Thailand or Indonesia, according to this site. And you know how easy it is here…so
that means that we’re living a very cooshy high tech life here in Taiwan, indeed.

Blueface, what’s the real sitch with wireless hotspots in Bali? I was there last year and I remember that plain old dial-up was very spotty some days.

Also, how about the US or Canada??? How common is it to find free wireless there?
Europe?
Do you feel like you live on the cutting edge in Taiwan? I sometimes do in comparison.

Wireless is great, but the current format may soon be superseded:

[quote]Is WiMax a promising new wireless technology, or just a load of hot air?

IF YOU find it difficult to get excited by the details of a new wireless-data protocol, you are not alone. So what explains the current buzz in the telecoms and computer industries surrounding WiMax, a high-speed, long-range wireless standard? This week investors pumped $20m into Aperto Networks of Milpitas, California, one of several firms planning to launch WiMax products this year. Heavyweights such as Intel, Nokia and AT&T are lining up behind the standard. Sean Maloney, the head of Intel’s telecoms division, says it will put

[quote=“Alien”]
Blueface, what’s the real sitch with wireless hotspots in Bali? I was there last year and I remember that plain old dial-up was very spotty some days.[/quote]

Haven’t seen wireless here yet…although I hear it’s coming. Cable is here but it costs around $250US/month and is dogslow. Service is a joke.