Worms for my compost pile?

I would like to start a compost pile in my apartment and, unless I am mistaken, the piles that use worms have the least amount of problems with odor. Can anyone suggest place to look to buy worms? I live in Miaoli county and make it to Xinzhu about once a week.

fishing-earthworm.com.tw/earthworm.asp

Buy a blender while you’re at it. Worms got smalls mouths.

Worms will die in a compost pile. It will get too hot (assuming you’re doing it right).

To avoid smell and get proper decomposition, you just need to keep it big enough, and ensure adequate airflow - the usual method is to put it on some sort of grid and then stick some poles in it.

If you’re thinking of a wormery, it’s a completely different construction. You can find ideas on the internet, but basically you need something like two bottle crates filled with earth, one stacked on the other. You just throw your food scraps on the top. If the worms are unhappy for any reason they can escape out the bottom into the other crate, and it also catches the drips from the top tray. It’s important to keep the thing somewhere cool.

[quote=“finley”]Worms will die in a compost pile. It will get too hot (assuming you’re doing it right).

To avoid smell and get proper decomposition, you just need to keep it big enough, and ensure adequate airflow - the usual method is to put it on some sort of grid and then stick some poles in it.

If you’re thinking of a wormery, it’s a completely different construction. You can find ideas on the internet, but basically you need something like two bottle crates filled with earth, one stacked on the other. You just throw your food scraps on the top. If the worms are unhappy for any reason they can escape out the bottom into the other crate, and it also catches the drips from the top tray. It’s important to keep the thing somewhere cool.[/quote]
I saw big old bamboo steamers the other day that would be great.

Quite possibly the funniest post I have ever seen.
Just a general question - Have you thought this thing completely through?
Perhaps on a balcony, but even there, this does not sound like a good idea.

Also, the worms are added to the soil that the finished compost is added to.

Quite possibly the funniest post I have ever seen.
Just a general question - Have you thought this thing completely through?[/quote]
He’s probably a student :smiley:
I had a compost pile in my room when I was at uni. It wasn’t supposed to be, of course.

yeah, that sounds ideal for a wormery.

Yes, that’s a wormery rather than a compost heap. You need a particular kind of worm. Not all of them will eat kitchen waste. I think brandling or tiger worms are recommended. You can get them mail order but I don’t know about Taiwan. Australia for sure, if they’ll ship overseas.

You’ll need a flyproof container of some kind, in two layers, as other have said, so that the liquid can drip down into the bottom layer. The liquid needs to be diluted before using it as a liquid feed.

They’re actually quite tricky to get working correctly. Personally I wouldn’t do it in this climate where waste starts to stink within hours. Put it on your balcony at the very least, but it must be in complete shade or you’ll kill all the worms.

You can buy live earthworms at any fishing shop…

Agree with Petrichor - it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth in Taiwan’s climate, especially since Taiwan does have municipal composting facilities (it doesn’t go into landfill) and you can buy 25L bags of it for about NT$80.

Strangely enough I got “spontaneous worms” in one of my balcony planters. I have absolutely no idea how they could have got there. I do occasionally scatter food scraps on top, but worms are only small. They don’t eat a lot.

Pengyou, I called http://taiwan-earthworm.com/shop/ about 6 weeks ago but they aren’t delivering for four months because they need to replenish their worm supply. In any case, they’ll deliver once they have worms available.

Finley, where can I get 25L bags of compost for NT$80?

Pretty much anywhere in Toufen, where my land is. All home DIY shops seem to have it for about that price. In Taipei … yeah, probably a bit more expensive. Anyway, avoid B&Q!

While on a holiday with my family in the U.S., I was attracted to a road sign that pointed the way to “WORM FARM”. I couldn’t resist and made the detour. My mind was rampant with worms growing like asparagus. What I found was a worm factory. Numerous refrigerators buried so only the door opened. The guide showed us that they had a "starter set of worms. Some soil but also vegy waste tossed in on top of the soil. When the vegy material was lifted we could see millions of worms entangled. Weird site and I guess it impacted me in some way because it has been more than 30 years since. Where to find the starter worms? Sorry, I can’t answer that but, like rats and rabbits, it wont take many to start the farm. Looks like there might be a market.
“Buffalo Jump” was another excursion taken on my wife’s driving duty. Another story. Ever seen buffalo jumping?

Seems the native Americans had a unique was to capture Bison, Thus “Buffalo Jump” They would choose a place that narrowed to a cliff. The young men would herd the bufflo to the cliff, Therein the buffalo would fall to there death. Womenfolk, as called back then, would butcher the animals and dry the meat in the sun to provide for their families in the winter,
Thus, “Buffalo Jump”. Wonders never cease when on a holiday and wife unit is driving.