Worried about school bullying and Chinese identity

What others said about probably not a good idea if she’s spewing CCP propaganda wearing a chairman mao shirt with PRC flag stickers on her computer.

But other than that, I would be more shocked if a kid went through school without some challenges in the social department. Learning how to navigate social circles is just as important at that age as anything she can learn at school. That being said.

Ugh girls can be 100x more cruel at that age vs boys. Boys bully verbally and physically, I would just tell my kid to not be a push over and stand up for himself and he’ll be ok. Girls, they will form cliches and isolate, talk behind your back, basically psychological torture.

Sorry I flagged this as inappropriate and now realize that it might not be so inappropriate. Perhaps it might indeed sound odd, especially for someone who does not have the same complicated language background as my family does.

My daughters first words were all in English. But as it turns out once we moved to France she mostly dropped her English in favor of French despite the fact that we didn’t speak French at home. It didn’t seem to have any effect on Chinese’s status as basically her second language. I had previously imagined that French and English would have jostled for top position and Chinese would have been in third place, but as it turned out the opposite happened. English was more or less totally over ridden by French and my daughters now mostly speak Chinese at home and exclusively French with each other and outside the home. She finds my efforts to get the family to engage with English embarrassing and tiresome, although obviously it is of benefit to her. Perhaps this will be a side benefit of moving to Taiwan, it might shake up that language balance. However this of course is not a major concern. I am mainly concerned about her ability to fit in with kids of her age at school.

1 Like

In my experience, kids are pretty resilient. Sooner or later they’ll have to deal with conflict in their life and having to make major adjustments. This could be a good thing for them. I grew up with a Taiwanese dad and Korean mom. Spoke Chinese and Korean at home. Later moved to the states and picked up English pretty fast and was honestly speaking and writing at a higher level than my American born peers after a year or two from not knowing any English.

Welcome to Taiwan

1 Like