Worse than being homeless

I went back home for two and a half weeks at Chinese New Year. It was the first time I had been back for over a year and a half. My grandmother was very sick and had been expected to die at Christmas time. However, she had hung on and I was very glad to see her again. She died a few days after I got back, but having been able to visit her one last time was great. I think it is important to go back as often as you can to visit your family. Every year they are getting older and it is important to stay connected with them.

back every year, have it extended to a month now, ha being your own boss is good.

used to go back around chinese ny, but it’s a waste to go back to ny that time of year. go back in the summer, escape the stifling heat for a month, enjoy the cool kornings and long evenings in the park like ny suburbs, even the air in the newark airport parking lot smells fresh after taipei. go to restaurants, take walks in the parks, hit nyc, head to the track, see the family and friends, drink some beer, grandparents spending time with the kids, how nice it is.

save chinese ny for thailand now.

Once every year. 2-3 weeks in summer. The only major gripe that “I” am 4 people, so the tickets end up costing US$3-4k. But it’s always great tobe “back” and catch up with the family, friends etc. Wil possibly keep going home once every year.

My father just seems to have had his second heart attack. Do you know how I know this? My mother decided to share this information IN A LETTER! Snail mail. Which means he is already back at home recovering now. Guess it’s time to admit that I’ve become nothing but financial support to them, which is probably only natural when you selfishly decide to leave the country and leave the beloved family behind.
What does this mean? They didn’t want to upset me? The heart attack wasn’t really serious this time?
Guess I should phone but I feel a little unstable at the moment.
Give it a few hours.

I’ve been back twice in 20+ years. Last time was 1993. My parents are pushing me to come back this month…I don’t know. Like ole Tom Wolfe said, “You can’t go home again.”

Twenty years ago, when I was living in Bangkok, I received a telegram from my sister telling me that my father had suffered a heart attack and was receiving emergency treatment in the local hospital. I was hugely shocked – the thought of such a thing happening had never even crossed my mind before – and extremely shaken and worried. As I agonized about whether I should drop everything and fly back home, word quickly followed that he was okay and I didn’t need to go back. He made a full recovery, adjusted his lifestyle, enjoyed an active retirement, and didn’t have any more trouble with his ticker until the big one took him away almost fifteen years later.

Thomas Wolfe

Thomas Wolfe[/quote]

My great-uncle was Wolfe’s roommate at UNC. He called him “Tom”.

Do you still have some kind of contact with your parents? I know a guy here who left his country without even telling his family that he was leaving or where he was going. Unless a person was mentally, sexually or physically abused in some extreme way, I find that kind of behaviour very strange. At least you still seem to be talking to your parents.

Guess I over-reacted before. Just felt like ranting somewhere before I phoned (which I haven’t done yet). I still think it’s strange that they didn’t tell me. I used to get an sms every time the cat went to the vet (it had AIDS so that was quite frequently). I think if you’re used to a certain kind of behaviour you freak out completely when that behaviour suddenly changes. Or I do.

Two navels.

Glad to hear your father’s ok, and you’re getting better.

But. The cat had AIDS?

HG

EVERYONE comes to Taiwan for a reason, including Two Navels. What I want to know is, did the cat give it to you or did you give it to the cat? :wink:

I’m going to hell, I know it!

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
But. The cat had AIDS?[/quote]
“Feline AIDS” == FIV. Different virus, doesn’t infect people, kills cats.

I went home over Thanksgiving last year. It was a big surprise since no one in my family knew we were coming except for my sister. We walked in before dinner, and the looks of shock, and then joy, were priceless, especially since they hadn’t seen my daughter since she was a year old (3 years ago). We spent about three weeks there, with a few days at DisneyWorld thrown in, and everything was great til the night before we left. My grandmother, who at 88 has more life in her than a lot of the people my own age, gave me a photograph of herself to keep for my daughter, and said in a rather casual way that she (my grandmother) most likely wouldn’t be around the next time we came back. Man, I tell you, I about lost it. I’m not an overly emotional person, but the finality of what she said really got to me. And then to realize that I was about to get a plane and fly half way around the world just compounded it.
I’ve always made the effort to call her and my dad at least once a month since I got here, so I don’t feel like I’ve lost touch with them, but I do wish I was able to go home more often,

I’m not telling. Maybe you should have a chat with the alleycats in my neighbourhood… :shock:

My mother would probably never speak to me again if I deprived her of the opportunity to plan and stress over THE BIG EVENT. About 3 months before I’m due home I start getting these messages on my phone: 80 days…76 days…31 days, etc.

Twice in 20+ years. The last time 10 years ago. wtf
There is a big difference between being an expat and being an exile.
Anyway, the statute of limitations has run out now. You should be able go back for a visit. :slight_smile:

Come on, head on back to SC for some good home cooking, bbq, and catfish. Now you know that nobody makes cornbread as good as mama does, right? At least be a better example for your kids. If you don’t go home once in a while to visit your folks, will your kids ever come to visit you after they move away?

Just get on the plane and go blueface.