Worst menu translation

this one will be hard to top, seen at “valencia” steakhouse

“美國無骨牛小排”

“USA has no bone to arrange small”

Haha, I showed it to the man who responded with his first English mistake EVER.
American Boneless Felt

Not in Taiwan, but in China (Shanghai):

“Fried Face”.

(The Chinese was fried noodles; the simplified forms of mian4 for “noodles” and “face” are identical, although the characters are different in full-form characters.)

[quote=“ironlady”]Not in Taiwan, but in China (Shanghai):

“Fried Face”.

(The Chinese was fried noodles; the simplified forms of mian4 for “noodles” and “face” are identical, although the characters are different in full-form characters.)[/quote]A similar thing: recently in the paper there was a photo of an open market somewhere with a big sign saying “Fuck the Fruit Area”. (It was supposed to be dried fruit but I guess someone got too enthusiastic with an electronic dictionary).

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“ironlady”]Not in Taiwan, but in China (Shanghai):

“Fried Face”.

(The Chinese was fried noodles; the simplified forms of mian4 for “noodles” and “face” are identical, although the characters are different in full-form characters.)[/quote]A similar thing: recently in the paper there was a photo of an open market somewhere with a big sign saying “Fuck the Fruit Area”. (It was supposed to be dried fruit but I guess someone got too enthusiastic with an electronic dictionary).[/quote]

Didn’t Huang Guang Chen post a photo of something like this recently from a HK supermarket?

Hot Cassiae Semen

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“ironlady”]Not in Taiwan, but in China (Shanghai):

“Fried Face”.

(The Chinese was fried noodles; the simplified forms of mian4 for “noodles” and “face” are identical, although the characters are different in full-form characters.)[/quote]A similar thing: recently in the paper there was a photo of an open market somewhere with a big sign saying “Fuck the Fruit Area”. (It was supposed to be dried fruit but I guess someone got too enthusiastic with an electronic dictionary).[/quote]

Didn’t Huang Guang Chen post a photo of something like this recently from a HK supermarket?[/quote]That’ll be the one, though I don’t think it was from HK, but from mainland China (I guess nobody will have any objections to me using that expression in this particular context :wink: ).

When a CNN journalist went to a restaurant in Beijing, he found some strange tranlations on the menu:

"夫妻肺片 "
“couple lung slice”

“四喜丸子”
“four glad meat balls”

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]this one will be hard to top, seen at “valencia” steakhouse

“美國無骨牛小排”

“USA has no bone to arrange small”[/quote]
If they translated it to ‘American boneless beef steak’, though not entirely accurate, I would have no complaints. Why is the translation so difficult? Everyone under a certain age here has studied English; there are plenty of foreigners around to ask.
I know, though, that if I were to point out the absurdity of the translation, tell them it’s wrong, and offer to give them a better one, they would refuse to believe me, saying something along the lines of ‘but the person who translated it has a BA in English,’ or ‘the person who translated it has been to America.’ And thinking ‘but how could this foreigner, clearly an idiot, possibly know her native language better than I, a intellectually-superior Chinese?’