Worst Taiwanese Pop Star

Who would you say is the worst, most factory packaged studio trash popstar on the market in Taiwan? The kind a record company manufactures for mass consumption and for the greatest number of albums before the star fades… A real Air Supply meets Debbie Gibson meets The Aztec Mummy… The star so big two names just won’t fit on the marquee.

Freya, Ay ya, Bjack, Jolin, SHE, Energy, F-4, Shephanie (Sun Yan Zi), FIR, Power Station, Yuki, Jolin, A Mei, Evonne, Cyndi…?

What’s wrong with Power Station and Amei?

I vote for Jacky Wu

That’s like asking which is worse – runny diarreah or blood-flecked vomit.

閃亮三姊妹 (What are they called in English? Sparkling Three Sisters?) :smiley:

Stephanie (Sun Yan Zi) is Singaporean.

You may put Elva Hsiao 蕭亞軒 (Xiao Ya Xuan) aka Elva Siu on the list but dare you to say anything bad about her. :wink:

The one who sang “fan le” over and over again. Who was that?

I thought Sun Yanzi was from Hong Kong.

I used to hate A-Mei when she was in her yelling phase, but she’s got a bit better now. She’s been getting a lot of stick recently - Let’s give her a break.

How about Naicha (Liu Ruoying). Good actress, pity about the music.

Nope. I wasn’t 100% sure but just looked it up and edited my post to reflect this.
I also do remember now that a friend from Singapore told me she was his professor’s daughter.

eVonne? I’d vote for her…bad, bad…really bad. Her video makes me almost cry…
What happend to the good old days where there were stars like Andy Lau, Jacky Cheung, Leslie Cheung?

Out of that list, I’d say the big money goes to F4 for sheer fakeness. I mean shit, the band was only formed because those guys’ TV series got popular and the band was a logical way to milk their 15 minutes.

Although, I thought F4 were mainlanders.

I’m getting confused here. I thought the question was “who’s the fakest” not “who’s the most crap”. If you’re going by crapness, it’s a tight run race between 90% of the gangtai (HK-Taiwan) market.

Terrible in no particular order:

5566 (all that fake emotion they squeeze out of their insincere eyebrows!!!)

Jolene (she makes me angry)

Sammy Zhang (she’s pretty and I don’t mind her in movies but she when she sings, she makes my skin crawl - her makeup commercial are irritating too)

The guy on the “george and Mary” credit card ads. He’s everywhere lately, and his claim to fame is having grown up in America and having studied the ABC hip-hop yo-yo-yo thing. He brings new meaning to the words “syrupy” and “insincere”.

Machi-didi (I like my rap from people older than 14, but that’s just me)

S.H.E. (if you are selling crap food for 7-11 just to make an extra buck, something’s wrong. Same goes for Energy, 5566, the “I like Q” band, etc…)

The one I think gets the least attention from Forumosans, and I’m surprised because she’s such a prime target…

The nun who is always on TV talking about Buddhist principles with backgrounds of scenes from nature in Taiwan. She’s considered on the same level as the Dalai Lama.

20 or so years ago, she was grinding it on tv in next to nothing in low budget Taiwanese videos. As I said in another post… she found the middle path and ditched the garters.

That’s cool to have a transformation, but only in Taiwan could you eschew the need for years of spiritual growth and go from Paula Abdul to Her Holiness… She’s also Zhang Fei’s sister…

I thought we were going for the worst. Joline is way up on my list as well

I have a thing against 5566 (or was it Energy? They all sound the same anyway) for their terible cover of “We Will Rock You”…

The guy on the “George and Mary” credit card ads. He’s everywhere lately, and his claim to fame is having grown up in America and having studied the ABC hip-hop yo-yo-yo thing. He brings new meaning to the words “syrupy” and “insincere”.

I think his name is Will or Wilbur.

The nun who is always on TV talking about Buddhist principles with backgrounds of scenes from nature in Taiwan. She’s considered on the same level as the Dalai Lama.

20 or so years ago, she was grinding it on tv in next to nothing in low budget Taiwanese videos. As I said in another post… she found the middle path and ditched the garters.

That’s cool to have a transformation, but only in Taiwan could you eschew the need for years of spiritual growth and go from Paula Abdul to Her Holiness… She’s also Zhang Fei’s sister…

,NO WAY!!! Unbelievable. I would never have guessed. I know I see her all the time on TV too but didn’t know she was related to Zhang Fei. hmmmmm interesting how the brothers and sisters know how to make money off the public.

Juba …

Shino Lin was the one singing “Fan le, fan le, fan le …” which at the time I liked because it expressed well how I felt about life.

As to who is the fakest, well, any boy band or singer who stands on stage lipsynching fits the bill. So that’s about 80 percent of Taiwan’s pop scene, I guess.

Gotta say nothin’ wrong at all with Power Train - pretty talented, IMO. Same goes for A-Mei - I think she did a lot to expand the bounds of what a female pop star could do. F4 (a Taiwanese group, not Mainland) was important for being one of the first boy bands. Copycats followed in a flurry!!! But yeah, they’ve got ‘industry creation’ written all over them.

It’s hard to pick out the worst of the rest. For me, they all blend together into a kind of pre-digested mush. :rainbow:

Scary and laughable but 100% true!

And she is widely considered to be the spiritual leader of Taiwan!!!

Mesheel - I hear you about the good ol days. Andy and J. Cheung are still around (amazingly, after all these decades). My personal favorite is Zhao Chuan. Some of the lyrics of his earlier songs are really quite profound. I can KTV a bit of his stuff in Chinese and Taiwanese. :rainbow:

Wow, where to begin?! It’s been awhile since I’ve actually listened to Taiwanese pop but from what I’ve heard walking by stores and clicking pass the MTV channel, I’d have to give the 2004 Britney Spears award to Jolin. Alex Du has been getting on my nerves lately with his song “tuo diao” (take off your clothes)…ahhhh, must get out of my head!
A Mei actually has talent so she shouldn’t even be mentioned here.
Willy (George and Mary dude) has his own show on MTV teaching kids “ghetto speak”…absolutely useless but fun to watch a geek trying to act cool. BTW, he’s rumoured to be dating A Mei (poor gal).
Canton pop is slightly better with Jacky Cheung (mmmm that voice!) and Faye Wong (now that she’s over her shrieking phase). Both are also extremely good actors.

Powerstation - seen them live and they went off big time. The crowd was right into it too.

Probably biased though, first CD I had in Chinese and I learnt all the songs, it’s kind of how I started learning Chinese.

I used to hate Wu Bai and China Blue, but after I caught a live show, dude, respect.