Would anyone like something from the US?

This post is inspired by “For what do you pine?” I will be coming to Taipei on Feb. 17, 2005. Would anyone like me to bring them something from the US? Non-perishables only and NO glass please!!!

If so, please PM me and let me know what you would like. Max 2 items per person and it will have to be first respond first served. I will pack a bag of these items until it reaches 65 pounds. In your PM let me know your name, phone number, the item(s), and an alternate item if I cannot find your first preference.

I will bring these items to Alley Cats on Sat., Feb. 19. I will need reimbursement in cash plus a small service fee added. I will only add on 20%. Serious responses only please. If you can’t be at Alley Cats on Feb. 19, please send someone who can be there.

Actually, I don’t even know if this is legal. I just thought after reading the “For what do you pine?” post that I could satisfy some cravings. Hope to see you in Taipei. jm

I think you will find that you will want far more of your own comforts than you can fit into your baggage allowance. I brought two extra suitcases, and still left two large boxes at home that I will need to drag over here at some point. I brought a few items over for people, but not half my baggage allowance like you seem to be planning on.

Unless, of course, you’re just visiting for a week or two. Then no worries.

dear maposquid,

thanks for your reply. i am visiting a friend for 3 weeks. i planned on bringing an empty suitcase to accommodate all the items i will purchase in Taipei during my visit. so instead of bringing an empty suitcase i will fill it with stuff for others and then when its empty i can shop for gifts and souvenirs to bring back.

this is my first trip abroad and i am very excited to see what life is like on the other side of the globe. thanks again. jm

If there’s a Mr. Donut store where you are, could you bring a couple of dozen?

That Renee woman from the Jerry MacQuire movie.

A Thickburger.

Yes please. I’d like an evening rise on the Blackfoot or maybe the Snake.

kerosene heater wicks and starters - just as an emergency backup thingy, in case my heaters break down.

I am not joking, will give you serial numbers etc.

A used bowling ball, nothing fancy. Also a concrete cinderblock. Can you get me a price quote first, though?

Could you bring me some of those morals people keep talking about? cheers.

dear sandman,

ahh, you know of missoula i see. i just spent last sunday sauntering up the blackfoot river from tibedaux falls to whitaker bridge. it was wonderful. have you lived in missoula or vacationed here? those juicy trout taste lovely roasted over a campfire.

dear mopasquid,

gee, i would have thought taipei had plenty of cinderblocks judging from the photos ive seen. perhaps you could find a bowling ball on ebay mr. silly pants.

dear damage,

i think you have to contact someone in the bible belt. or ohio. we here in montana are a bunch of brazen outlaws chugging homemade whiskey in saloons.

dear richard m,

sorry, no mr donut here. not even a dunkin or a krispy kreme.

dear mr he,

kerosene heater wicks and starters? ok, i will check the army/navy surplus store here and get back to you.

renee zelwiger or whatever is too busy, she told me to leave her alone or she would give me a wedgy.

and i aint transportin’ no beef!

well i think that covers it. thanks for the chuckles. maybe we can have a beer in taipei. you do have beer, right? jm

Pot. A big ole set off the dog’s nose pot… :bravo:
just kiddin

I would like a couple of bottles of Hydroxycut, but don’t get it yet. As I will let you know about 2 weeks before your arrival date. And thanks so much for your kindness… :notworthy:

Lead weights for a drysuit…

if anyone can think of any other really heavy items that would be really funny. bowling balls, cinder blocks, lead weights. oh thats rich.

keep crackin me up.

anyone need an old bumper off a '64 cadillac

or how about some old barn lumber

maybe you could use a new washing machine or dryer

oh, i know, who needs a set of dumbells. oh thats a good one.

how about some of those irons they used before electricity. oh im peeing my pants. jm

dear namastestore,

what in the world is hydroxycut?? is it legal to transport it??

neverheardofthestuff. jm

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”]if anyone can think of any other really heavy items that would be really funny. bowling balls, cinder blocks, lead weights. oh thats rich.

keep crackin me up.

anyone need an old bumper off a '64 cadillac

or how about some old barn lumber

maybe you could use a new washing machine or dryer

oh, I know, who needs a set of dumbells. oh thats a good one.

how about some of those irons they used before electricity. oh I’m peeing my pants. jm[/quote]

Nice reply :bravo:

I had a good laugh at this one, thanks :slight_smile:

I think your offer is a good idea, and it’s very generous of you to think of it. If I was from the states and there was something that I was pining for then I would certainly take you up on your offer!

I have a good one.
How about one of those blow up sex dolls… Western women version please!

Sorry mate, couldn’t resist. :smiley:

I think if you post this closer to the time of your visit, you will get more serious responses. Personally, I’m planning on visiting home before then, so doubt I’ll need anything. Even if I were to need something, though, given the three-month leadtime, I’d probably get it mailed now.

You might also run into difficulties with Customs if you bring in expensive merchandise. If you declare a bunch of, for example, computer equipment and you cannot show that it is used equipment for personal use, they’ll sock you with a 25% import duty. I’m not sure under what circumstances they might confiscate it, but if you didn’t declare it and tried to hide it, you might be at risk.

Just a reminder, plants and unprocessed foods are usually no-nos. There are fixed limits on cigarettes and alcohol, as well as other items – but for those, the Duty-Free shops in HK are cheaper sources (unless someone wants a specific brand which is unavailable there, such as Newport Lights).

Hydroxycut is a diet pill. They can’t sell it here, why i don’t know. Some ingrediant. But I am sure probably can be brought as personal stash…Any one know if this true?

OK, this post is officially closed.

This offer is now expired.

Thank you and good night!

jm