Would the MOE hire a Taiwanese-American or ABC?

Would the MOE hire Taiwanese-American or ABC to work as a foreign teacher if they have teaching license?

Bump…

From a legal perspective? In which case I would assume that the MOE would hire such a person. However, you may want to check in the legal forum. There may be some clause along the lines of “No person who looks a bit like us shall be employed.”

From an immoral, business-needs perspective? I have no idea, TBH. I find it unlikely that the public sector would follow the standard buxiban line that ABCs are bad for business. My gut feel is that, if you have the necessary qualifications, the MOE would employ you.

[quote=“tomthorne”]From a legal perspective? In which case I would assume that the MOE would hire such a person. However, you may want to check in the legal forum. There may be some clause along the lines of “No person who looks a bit like us shall be employed.”

From an immoral, business-needs perspective? I have no idea, TBH. I find it unlikely that the public sector would follow the standard buxiban line that ABCs are bad for business. My gut feel is that, if you have the necessary qualifications, the MOE would employ you.[/quote]
I taught English as a volunteer in Taidong for the MOE. Keep in mind that it wasn’t a paid position, and only temporary. I agree, however, that the MOE would probably be less stringent than the buxiban.

I do not know what you mean by the MOE hiring people. I presume you mean teaching positions in public schools. Very, very few of these are run through the MOE. Almost all teaching positions in elementary or high schools are run through local boards of education or even the school themselves. The MOE would probably hire whoever they can that’s qualified for their positions. for the people they want, the money is not very good and teachers I have spoken with are not happy with the people they can get. Positions that are funded through other sources? Who knows? Could be if you are experienced and have relevant qualification for what they’re looking for.

But almost none of the teaching positions for foreign teachers in Taiwan public schools are funded through the MOE. For example, this job is NOT an MOE job
tealit.com/ad_categories.php … anguage=en
nor are these jobs
All their hiring is done locally.

These are MOE jobs
fetit.eng.ntnu.edu.tw/index.php? … &Itemid=64

Those schools from the links you had are not public schools…

Some of them are.

In theory, there shouldn’t be a problem. It probably really depends upon the individual school though. I don’t know of any people with an Asian background working in the MOE programme, but that doesn’t mean they would be excluded. I can try to find out for you.

More like only one is a public school.

GuyInTaiwan…thanks.