Would The Rust Fairy Be a Felon?

Thanks, got some searching to do now.

1 Like

Yeh, but you being pretty annoyed isnā€™t really a legal opinion.

Iā€™d be interested to know how Authoritay would react in such a case.

Would they take the ā€œNo real harm done, Ma fanā€ position, or would they throw the book (if there is a book for this) at you, to defend the sanctity of the private property that they are quite likely to tow away and scrap next week.

My guess is itā€™d be the former at the beat cop level, and prosecution to the full extent of the law if it got to the courts, but I donā€™t know.

Hypothetically, itā€™d almost be worth turning myself in to find out.

Not quite though.

No rust removal in my hypothetical,

OTOH, the oil mix hypothetically used would be protective and long term the vegetable oil component polymerises by oxidation to form a sort of paint.

Thats quite a few irrelevancies-in-context youā€™ve introduced so far, but I suppose you can have your own set of hypotheticals if you really want them.

If I was treating this type of surface rust on my own vehicle, I would abrade the rust with aluminium foil, finishing off by using straight vegetable oil as a binder, This forms a slow-setting aluminium paint in situ which is quite effective at preventing further rust.

I wouldnā€™t do that in this case because (a) it takes too long, (one inevitably attracts a pack of barking stray dogs, Taiwans Guardians of Conventional Behaviour, doing this sort of thing at night) and (b) it alters the appearance of the vehicle,

Its just possible (though very unlikely) that the owner would specifically want to preserve the "ā€œpatinaā€ of his old truck, Some old car enthusiasts use straight boiled linseed oil for this purpose,

About 27 minutes in

I dunno if you can get linseed in Taiwan. Maybe Tung Oil?

Sunflower oil sets more slowly, and the hypothetical mix used in this case was designed for cavity use, with mineral oil to increase penetration and further retard setting, so heavy rain or solvent might shift it off surface rust.

Sure, but then I didnā€™t make a hypothetical ā€œHelp me decide what to do?ā€ (Apparently as some kind of Adam Smithian rational actor in my own material self interest) post.

I made a hypothetical ā€œIā€™ve already done itā€ post, (Adam Smith does not/need not apply) and invited comment (or speculation, since Iā€™d guess no one really knows) as to the likely (criminal) legal position.

Frivolous civil prosecution (or not so frivolous baseball bat chastisement) are maybe more likely, though theyā€™d still have to catch me.

They wouldnā€™t dismiss it nor ā€œthrow the book at you.ā€ Theyā€™d view it as property damage and/or trespassing and a lot would depend on whether the owner of the truck you ā€œfairiedā€ wants to press charges.

I would suggest retiring as a ā€œRust Fairy.ā€ Itā€™s a service no one asked for and one that risks adverse consequences for you. Itā€™s also one of the most bewildering things Iā€™ve read in the Legal forum.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: From rust fairy

One thing that comes to mind, where I come from, if I see someone pouring shit on my car, Iā€™m not thinking ā€œoh how nice, heā€™s helping me to prevent rustā€ but ā€œthat mf poured shit on my car!ā€ and assume itā€™s probably about as damaging as hydrochloric acid. I wonder how proving your good intent might go. Also you might tend to be blamed for any existing rust, dents, or whatever seemed convenient.

3 Likes

Sure.

The risk is acceptable, as I think weā€™ve already covered.

Plus (presumably) we arenā€™t where you come from, where, depending on where it is, I might perhaps get shot, which wouldnā€™t be.

I think the moral of the story is when dealing with any personal property ask the owner if you can do whatever it is you are about to do. Or ask him to do something about the rust and if he says he canā€™t afford to offer to pay for the supplies for it.

But if you are just scrubbing someoneā€™s car and spray painting it, 99% of the owners are going to think you are vandalizing their property, or worse, trying to steal it.

1 Like

To get somewhat silly,maybe theyā€™re developing a patina for a cool rat rod? :wink: more seriously, if it wasnā€™t abandoned, I wouldnā€™t want anyone putting diesel and hydraulic fluid on my car, no matter how ratty they thought it was. and it certainly can, at minimum, stain the paint if left on.

To answer the topic, it most likely would be a misdemeanor, not a felony. Felony is if you wound up killing the owner.

1 Like

I think Taiwan is rather like where I come from in that!

If thereā€™s even anything in here about damaging property, I canā€™t find it

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=C0000001

This may contribute to that point in that a local regulation had to be enacted against graffiti

https://english.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=A11F01CFC9F58C83&sms=DFFA119D1FD5602C&s=B5D044DC5AFF6101

Thereā€™s a law on vandalism. Itā€™s ęÆ€ęē½Ŗ
I donā€™t know if this is something the owner needs to press charges on or the government does, but thereā€™s also civil suit for damages.

2 Likes

Yes, Article 354

A person who abandon, destroys, damages, or renders useless a thing belonging to another which is not specified in the two preceding articles and causes injury to the public or another shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than two years, short-term imprisonment, or a fine of not more than fifteen thousand dollars.

Iā€™m a little unclear what they mean by ā€œcauses injuryā€, ā€œč¶³ä»„ē”Ÿęå®³ę–¼å…¬ēœ¾ęˆ–ä»–äŗŗ者ā€ in Chinese. Anyway I guess this is the worst?

How would they even find you? What are they going to do? Run around the whole country with the video of you, and stop people in the streets and ask if they know who you are?

If the owner reports it to the police they will find you. They can run facial recognition and compare it to your arc or whatever. So probably a good idea to wear a mask. They are very efficient at catching criminals here.

Applying stuff to something not belonging to you, without the owners permission, would qualify as damage. That is if he wants to press charges. Always ask the owner permission if youā€™re going to do rust fairy thing. And definitely settle up if he catches you because then he probably wonā€™t press charges. You donā€™t know why the car is rusted, maybe he likes the look. He sees you put something on the car panel it might as well be acid for all he cares. Thatā€™s not to mention improper rust removal would actually damage things.

But then Iā€™m clearly not ā€œjust scrubbing someoneā€™s car and spray painting itā€ or anything like it.

You seem to be suffering from some kind of RIS (Repeated Irrelevance Syndrome).

My point is, you donā€™t do anything to peopleā€™s properties without asking their permission. Itā€™s called respect. You donā€™t so much as touch it if you can avoid it.

Only material one there I could possibly hypothetically be guilty of in this case would be ā€œdamagesā€, and that would be a huge, contentious and frankly ludicrous stretch.

If ā€œcausing injuryā€ extends to mental distress, that could of course be claimed, but the ā€œandā€ (in English, at least) implies both have to be established. On that basis I ought to have a good chance of walking.

But I reckon they might ā€œmake an exampleā€ anyway.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t stain my paint.

(The cool rat rod aspect is sort of acknowledged above with the video link, and is a reason for using oil, which has minimal effect on the appearance of the vehicle)