Would this idea work?

So I just came across this article ( taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archiv … 2003058036 ) and thought, hmmm…I could do that. So here’s my thought, for those of you who’ve been in taiwan for a while and have a pretty good understanding of the taiwanese, what’s the feasibility of offering private lessons on how to be a vinyl dj? Let’s say I manage to get the word out somehow and give the lessons at my apartment, what do you think would be the response? Of course, I don’t speak chinese, so that’s something to consider. anticipating questions And my club ‘resume’ isn’t too long, but my skills are solid. But then again, how can anyone possibly check up on this…so I could lie my butt off and say anything really.

But back to the point of this post…what’s the possibility of someone paying for such lessons?

oZzo

I can’t for the life of me understand how being a DJ has become “cool”. When I was young, playing the guitar was cool.

[quote=“ozzo”]But back to the point of this post…what’s the possibility of someone paying for such lessons?

oZzo[/quote]

Reading the article, it sounds like you could make more money selling vinyl from your apartment.

Your best bet is to first approach that company and try to get a job there. After you have worked “in the local industry” for a few years, you will be much better off trying to gauge your own chances for success if starting out on your own.

(P.S. Whether or not you could actually get permission from the goverment to work legally at that company is an additional consideration . . . . )

Yeah, selling vinyl sure sounds like a lucrative business from what the article said. Well, so long as you pick the right music to sell. But if that famous place in Taipei (AC-DC) went out of business, there must have been a good reason why. What kind of taxes are imposed on importing vinyl records anyway?

Tigerman, don’t worry, playing the guitar is still cool. The “coolness” of being a dj seems to come in spurts. Like any fad, it comes and goes. Playing the guitar has always seemed to be cool. :slight_smile:

Well, if this is a new fad in Taiwan, then maybe there’s some possibilities. Like, yeah, opening a record store. Would like to hear from someone who has experience in Taiwanese music. I’m new here, so I don’t know what kinds of music they like. But I’ve got a good ear for music and know where to get the vinyl (and of course, a degree in business…for whatever little that $70,000 piece of paper is doing for me!). Any entrepreneurial spirit out there?

oZzo

cmon, it is cool. mixing different sounds to make new sounds of your own. what was that dark star album you were talking about a while back? same kind of story.

You might find some good info here;
vinyl.org/

Personally, I dislike it. The last jacket I bought cracked within two weeks.

Local dj’s import their vinyl records from British- or US-based web sites, if they can’t find the stuff at local stores.
As to teaching dj classes, in Taipei one IT company already organizes classes at a hefty 40,000 NT or so, with one of the island’s top dj’s, @llen, as teacher.
Visit any Tower Records for more information.

Is @llen @ bit of @ w@nker, by @ny ch@nce ?

Well, I’m a bit out of the Taipei loop, so can’t do much there. And wouldn’t want to work for some company. Just thought I’d make some extra cash (and a few new friends) by teaching privately. I honestly think paying is crazy…easy to learn on your own…but I guess people don’t want to dive into it by themselves. So would be easy to teach.

oZzo

cmon, it is cool. mixing different sounds to make new sounds of your own. what was that dark star album you were talking about a while back? same kind of story.[/quote]

Maybe it is “cool”, but this seems to be one of those instances where “cool” is quite subjective… I’m not denying that loads of people think it is cool… I just don’t get it.

And daltongang… ooh, I beg to differ… have you ever heard the Grayfolded recording? Its not like DJing, per my understanding… the guy took about 60 versions of the Dead performing Dark Star live and recorded them on top of each other in various places… so that the result is a 27 year old Jerry Garcia playing a duet with a 50 year old Jerry Garcia in some parts of the song. And its lots of guitar and no record “scratching”.