Would you buy a g4 ibook without Bluetooth?

Hi,

I put a down payment on an ibook the other day but am having serious second thoughts.

Reasons:

Though very cheap, the ibook has 256 of whatever and no Bluetooth, whereas an itnernet search revealed that for a bit more moola, the same ibook can be had in the states with 512 whatchamacallit and BLuetooth.

What’s Bluetooth? I know the 512 is more memory.

What to do? Especially given that I want to use it to edit video

Bluetooth - you know when you see morons walking down the street talking to themselves… then you notice they are wearing some strange large plastic Star Trek like mechanism behind their ear and are talking on the phone? The technology that allows such a wank-fest to happen is Bluetooth. Allows you to run mouse, keyboards and other periphs wirelessly.

As for your ibook issue - you can simply add more RAM at any time no worries and a BLuetooth module can be added as well. Nothing to stress about. If you dont know what Bluetooth is you certainly dont need it! :slight_smile:

Bluetooth is great for bluetooth-enabled mobile phones and PDAs. I haven’t used a PDA in years.

With my Sony Ericsson T610, I can:

sync my contacts and calendar
see caller ID on screen
remote control iTunes, DVD Player, Powerpoint, or just about any app
mute iTunes when the phone is in use

Those last 3 are possible with Salling Clicker. I also archive my SMS messages to BluePhoneElite. Not that I ever look at them.

If you want Bluetooth, I think a trip to HK is in order.

512m of RAM isn’t really enough if you’re doing a lot of work. Final Cut Express/Pro or iMovie would do better with more. A gig stick to bring your iBook to 1.25 gigs would only set you back around 5k.

Have you considered a PowerBook? You’ll need a lot of space for video editing. You could use an external drive but it’s nice to carry the move with you. I think you’ll need around 12 gigs per hour of DV.

Lots of stores can upgrade the iBook HD. But why not just get a PowerBook. You can plug in an external monitor and get tons of screen space for Final Cut.

Does a trip to Hong Kong really make it cheaper? Seems like after a ticket and saved money is gone (well, you wold get to have a trip to Hong Kong).

When are the new ones coming to Taiwan, or are they always behind in this stuff? I don’t think they have new Powerbooks, so I suppose it won’t really affect my decision much.

[quote=“miltownkid”]Does a trip to Hong Kong really make it cheaper? Seems like after a ticket and saved money is gone (well, you wold get to have a trip to Hong Kong).

When are the new ones coming to Taiwan, or are they always behind in this stuff? I don’t think they have new Powerbooks, so I suppose it won’t really affect my decision much.[/quote]

The iBook is about 3k cheaper. The Powerbook is over 7k cheaper. That makes it worth the HK trip.

:astonished:

So they’re only about 49K in HK (I want the 12 inch)?

What store is this again (I know it’s been posted in other threads). That’s worth looking into, I’ve never been to HK.

Gary, video editing on an ibook is certainly attainable now. The new ibooks that hit Taiwan in a month or two (I guess that time frame) are the ones that OP is talking about. In Taiwan, apple dealers are phasing out the ibooks that come with 256mb ram and not bluetooth. They are 31900 I believe. Now, the newer ibook that will go for 36900 have 512mb of ram and bluetooth. Either way, Gary is right in that the more ram you have the easier things will go. My boss has made probably 20 dvds on her ibook that is only 867mhz i believe without any real stress. The first iobook that OP mentioned is the model after my bosses and the 2nd one he mentioned is the latest.

:slight_smile: Certainly.

For a while I was thinking my Powerbook 15 was a bit too heavy to carry around. I considered switching to a 12" but kept thinking I couldn’t live with the smaller screen or less than 2 gigs of memory. oh no. :slight_smile:

iMovie is still great at 1024x768. I don’t do much editing though I’ve messed with Final Cut Express just to try it out. More screen space might be nice with that. Certainly with Photoshop or any app that has lots of palettes.

It’s also nice to have the built in SuperDrive. You can always add it to an iBook or hack iDVD to work with external burners.

:astonished:

So they’re only about 49K in HK (I want the 12 inch)?

What store is this again (I know it’s been posted in other threads). That’s worth looking into, I’ve never been to HK.[/quote]

The conversion rate of HK$ 11,900 is 49,077 NT. In another thread, aflsc says:

My regular store is CableX on 12F of Windsor Building, near the Victoria Park exit of the Causeway Bay MRT station. They generally give the best prices and are the local store that Apple recommend for adding RAM. In addition to low prices and cheap AppleCare (typically HK$1200; NT$5000) they also have specials: such as a half-price Airport Express or iSight with a purchase of Tiger (10.4) when it launched.

When everyone has their new Apple notebooks, I’ll be jealous. We could do the tech club then.

[quote=“gary”]The conversion rate of HK$ 11,900 is 49,077 NT. In another thread, aflsc says:

My regular store is CableX on 12F of Windsor Building, near the Victoria Park exit of the Causeway Bay MRT station. They generally give the best prices and are the local store that Apple recommend for adding RAM. In addition to low prices and cheap AppleCare (typically HK$1200; NT$5000) they also have specials: such as a half-price Airport Express or iSight with a purchase of Tiger (10.4) when it launched.

When everyone has their new Apple notebooks, I’ll be jealous. We could do the tech club then.[/quote]
Thanks, @work now, so no time to be searching around…

cablex.com.hk/

For future reference.