Would you dare?

Everyone who posts here, would you dare talk like you do in REAL LIFE to other people like what you do here? I think this website is excellent, but, I only post now and again, but I really think alot of you guys who post here are intelligent people who hide behind a keyboard and must feel really insecure in “REAL LIFE”
Don’t worry, think of life before the keyboard, you can do it!
All this stuff is new to me, call me old fashioned, but I think this is all very sad!
I cannot express myself so well on this site, but I’d love to chat to people like Sandman and TainanCowboy in the flesh sometime. Anyways, enough waffling, hope to see you guys in the flesh soon!

K.

Wow. To sit on a pedestal like you behind a pseudonym as creative, meaningful, and interesting as “guest 123” and point fingers at people hiding behind their keyboards…

Cough, cough…

Damn bronchitis.

Anyways, as for the way I talk online versus IRL, I guarantee you I do talk the same way in real life as I write on forumosa, and my spelling and grammar is just as impeccable. I have to warn you, though, that in real life my “stinky face” is much, much cuter than this guy’s => :stinkyface: .

OOH, that was quick, I knew someone would bite! Sorry about my grammar, it must be really late. BTW, IM whatever, I don’t give a shite about my onscreen name, Guest 123 whatever, so what? Do you feel superior with a cool name? How sad! I don’t really care. Be real!

I wasn’t knocking your grammar as much as I was polishing my shiny grammar police badge. I earned it as a young maverick cai niao (a year or two before that title or any other title had even existed on this website). Although I do have to correct your spelling of “shit”. There’s no silent ‘e’ at the end of it.

Do I feel superior because of my name? Hardly. It’s like asking if I feel superior because I wear clothes (which I try to do often). It’s just who I have been online for the last 6 years or so. But implying that others hide behind names like Sandman (which is meaningful to his name) and Tainan Cowboy (which is meaningful to his location) is a bit ironic coming from someone with a name like “Guest 123”. That’s all.

Try not to read too much into it and go to bed, young man (or woman seeing as your name is as genderless as it is generic). It’s getting late. Or is it too late for it to be late which would make it early (or too early if I am making this statement before it’s time to)? See what you’re making me do now…I’m waxing philosophical.

:stinkyface:

[quote=“Guest 123”]Everyone who posts here, would you dare talk like you do in REAL LIFE to other people like what you do here?[/quote]Yes, of course.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]…I do have to correct your spelling of “shit”. There’s no silent ‘e’ at the end of it.[/quote]Magic ‘e’, not silent ‘e’. No correction needed. Or were you being ironic?

You can’t ask questions like that of me at 4 in the morning…wait a minute - that was 4 prepositional phrases in a row. Is that grammatically legal?

[quote=“ImaniOU”]You can’t ask questions like that of me at 4 in the morning…wait a minute - that was 4 prepositional phrases in a row. Is that grammatically legal?[/quote]Looks OK to me. You could tidy it up a little by saying “ask me questions like that”, I suppose. But at 4 (now 5) in the morning, who really cares?

On the offchance that you feel like doing a word puzzle:

This sentence, written by a student of Steven Pinker, isn’t clear at all. But it is grammatically legal.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Can you work it out? (I cheated and read Pinker’s explanation.) An important tip: ‘buffalo’ is a verb as well as two kinds of noun.

Guest 123 . . . . I definitely need to get out more than I do. But, most/all of my posting on this site takes place during the work day as I have not gotten internet service at home (new home) yet. So, I am not really giving up opportunities (yet) to develop a “real life,” in order to interact with others on this forum.

Furthermore, I deal with a lot of dumb people everyday in real life. In contrast, I enjoy the intelligent conversation/debate that goes on with the folks in this forum. In real life, I don’t know that many people who I find it interesting to talk to. I guess I have a little problem, in real life. But the intellectual stimulation I get interacting on Forumosa compensates for it a lot. Still, you’ve got a point about getting a life, in real life. That’s a way good thing I agree.

Cheers
Bodo :rainbow:

[quote=“joesax”]On the offchance that you feel like doing a word puzzle:

This sentence, written by a student of Steven Pinker, isn’t clear at all. But it is grammatically legal.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.[/quote]

I can see “Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo” (in other words, how Buffalo buffalo could buffalo Buffalo buffalo). I can even understand if “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo” (those same buffalo from Buffalo doing the Buffalo buffalo, like the Tennessee waltz and the Charleston, to other Buffalo buffalo). I can even see “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo” (those same shaggy creatures doing the Buffalo buffalo to buffaloed Buffalo buffalo). But I cannot see “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo” as making sense. Unless of course there’s a special way to buffalo buffalo in Buffalo. Then it would be “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo”.

The sequence would be (adjective to describe location of) noun + epynomous dance + eponymous form of bullying + (adjective to describe location of) noun. The buffalo from Buffalo do the Buffalo buffalo dance with those buffalo from Buffalo which have been intimidated (or buffaloed) in a way that is particular to Buffalo. New York, that is. Glad I explained that because when I look at it again, I will probably forget how I reasoned it.

And of course, now the word “buffalo” looks like a nonsense word to me since I’ve been overstimulated by it. It looks like it would make more sense backwards… olaffub… to help clear my mind.

I think I’ve just found a new swear word. Olaffub you and the buffalo you rode in on!

BTW, I haven’t heard the name Steven Pinker since I finished my linguistics degree five years ago.

And I think I win for the most uses of the word “buffalo” in a single post where it makes sense.

OK, I’m going to “out” myself. Shock, horror, get a life everyone!
My name is Kevin, I live in Taichung, Guest 123? What is that? Hi everyone, let’s hook-up at Smooth, Forumosa HH next week.
Don’t be scared, get away from your keyboard, let’s party!!!
This is not REAL LIFE; understand?

ok, crap, my wife is giving me shit (shite for you Im) I should be in bed asleep. I will be sober at Smooth!

Either “Imani” or “ImaniOU”…I even like to be called “ImaniO”, but never ever ever “Im”. In speaking, that would be pronounced “Eem”, but it’s not possible since the ‘I’ is its own syllable and the next syllable would be pronounced “mah”. Man that grammar police badge is coming in handy. :cop:

Anywho, I doubt I could make it to Taichung, but if you decide to come up to the big city for the next Taipei Happy Hour, I may have put aside enough money from my meager income to buy you a drink, Guest 123.

Like your style Im… whatever, I would love to meet you for a beer in the big bad city, JB’S would be good
I’m nice in real life! Honestly!

[quote=“Guest 123”]
This is not REAL LIFE; understand?[/quote]

Thank goodness it isn’t. This is the only place where there are no man eating zombies trying to gak me.

I think zombies in general are a bunch of weirdos or something.

Oh my god! After that last post I am seriously going to smoke a “fag” and go to bed before my wife BEITCH slaps me!

[quote=“Guest 123”]OK, I’m going to “out” myself. Shock, horror, get a life everyone!
My name is Kevin, I live in Taichung, Guest 123? What is that? Hi everyone, let’s hook-up at Smooth, Forumosa HH next week.

Ok, now Kevin, stop being a dick, ok? Ok? Ok!

[quote=“Guest 123”]Like your style Im… whatever, I would love to meet you for a beer in the big bad city, JB’S would be good
I’m nice in real life! Honestly![/quote]

Wow, you make no sense. If I get what you were saying, you said that people here are mean because they hide behind a keyboard…but that they will propably not dare to do it face to face.

And then you say mean things (using your keyboard) saying that you are nice in real life.

sooooo…aren’t you doing the same thing? Or do I need to go on meds :loco:

I think the first part of your question is interesting. For me, there’s no way I would ever carry on in real life the way I do here. Are you nuts? Have you seen some of the things I say here?

Funny, I myself am much more polite and use a lot less profanity on this website than I do in REAL LIFE (oh, the screaming hurts my ears )

[quote=“Guest 123”]OK, I’m going to “out” myself. Shock, horror, get a life everyone!

Sure, I understand. However, you miss what happens outside these forums. I’m sure if you took a poll to find out who did something with another poster in real life in the past week, you would see that many of us use this site as a conduit to better “realer” things. :slight_smile:

I’ve met lots of forumosans, and most of them DO actually speak the way they post, friendly and respectfully, with good humor. :slight_smile:

Have a good time at the Taichung HH.

jds