Would you go to Taiwan RIGHT now?

Yeah don’t come to Taiwan

8 Likes

The bitterness is strong in this one.

2 Likes

Don’t let personal attacks against you get in the way of recognising the importance of the message you helpfully linked.

From the developer of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine:

Speaking at a UK parliamentary meeting on Tuesday, Sir Andrew Pollard, a professor of pediatric infection and immunity at the University of Oxford, said that achieving herd immunity is “not a possibility” now that the Delta variant is circulating.

“We know very clearly with coronavirus that this current variant, the Delta variant, will still infect people who have been vaccinated, and that does mean that anyone who’s still unvaccinated, at some point, will meet the virus,” Pollard said.

He said it was unlikely that herd immunity will ever be reached, saying the next variant of the novel coronavirus will be "perhaps even better at transmitting in vaccinated populations."

2 Likes

Infected vs. infected and put in the hospital are two very different things. Nobody is claiming that herd immunity is possible in the sense of wiping out the virus. People have accepted that this will likely become endemic.
So if the virus is endemic, and the majority of the population is vaccinated then they won’t be put in the hospital.

I’d rather covid turn into something along the lines of the common cold then overwhelming hospitals with the unvaccinated. That’s why when you talk about effectiveness it’s important to look at how effective vaccines are against serious illness, not just symptomatic infection. Serious illness is what matters.

From your own link:

With COVID-19, vaccines still fulfill their primary role: protecting against severe disease. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vaccinated people who catch the Delta variant are 25 times less likely to have a severe case or die. The overwhelming majority who do catch it will have mild or no symptoms.

The herd immunity thing or bringing up strains that are not currently dominant nor do we know enough about is pointless. That’s why IMO it’s fucking irrelevant.

3 Likes

Correct

And from my analysis of the UK latest figures elderly vaccinated people are 94% less likely to die from covid than the unvaccinated.

So the people who say vaccines are useless there is no herd immunity blah blah…It’s all just noise…they can be ignored. They make a lot of noise but it’s mostly from all the hot air they are producing.

They go on and on and on and on and on and on…And now infecting this thread also.

5 Likes

Yet another reason for the OP not to come to Taiwan! :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Agreed. That was my point in the post.

However, up to 50% of the population may have already had pre-immunity to Covid. Plus, a very small percentage of people get sick and/or die of it anyway. Add to that some intent to tackle the reasons underlying these ‘Covid sickness and deaths’ (mulitple comorbidities) and you are heading in a much better direction than relying solely on the lockdowns/masks/leaky vaccine program.

Unfortunately, the UK doesn’t even require a positive Covid test to count any death as ‘by Covid.’

You could get hit by a bus on the way to a COVID vaccine centre and it would be classed as a COVID death.

You should read about the llama drama that’s been unfolding here. They destroyed a llama with suspected TB. Now they can’t find evidence that it had TB. They will eventually offer up some bs data that proves they were right to destroy it.

Lies, damned lies, and murdered llamas.

It’s a long from Taiwan to British murdered llamas.

Six degrees of Kevin Bacon, innit.

2 Likes

Mmm bacon.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’d delay a bit. Taiwan will recover, but it’s not fun at the moment.
With language study, interaction is important. It may be 6 months or a year before Taiwan can consider reducing restrictions are gunning for 0 cases even though they say they are not. They are an extremely conservative society and politicians are doing what constituents want. The actions taken today are emotional, not rational.

6 Likes

Which studies are those?

Back in my hometown, it’s Saturday morning. So I wouldn’t go to Taiwan right now. I’d spend the weekend back home. Then I’d leave for Taiwan on Monday.

4 Likes

Bars are open?! Does that include discos? Here the virus has annihilated the club business.

One of the best comments on the thread so far.

I’ve been reading through his posts. Most expats only become bitter after being here for years. He’s trying to get that step out of the way by being extra salty before he even comes here!

10 Likes

That is a very good rate , way better than here.

2 Likes