Would you go to Taiwan RIGHT now?

My husband and I are in a similar situation, he’s an MOE post-grad scholarship recipient. We’re meant to be applying for our Visas and booking flights RIGHT NOW.

We recently had, and recovered from, Covid-19. We’re fine, it was like a bad flu.

We’re going to get PCR tests again tomorrow, and there’s a strong chance that we will have false positive results. Not because we are still infectious, but because PCR tests often pick up the dead virus cells.

So if we don’t get negative PCR test results, we won’t be able to go to Taiwan, and we will most likely defer our course for a year.

Although I’ll be very disappointed if we have to defer, and put my life on hold for another year, my husband has a more positive outlook on staying home - what with the restrictions in Taiwan not going away anytime soon (he ABHORS wearing a mask); China could invade Taiwan; the flight we’re meant to take could crash.

You have time to weigh up your options. If you go this winter, you probably won’t have a great “student life”, and I totally agree that you cannot learn Chinese wearing masks. Taiwan isn’t going anywhere if you defer.
If you are happy enough with your situation in your home country, no harm in staying put for a while longer. If you are OK with restrictions and uncertainty in a foreign country, you may as well go for the experience.

It is a hard decision to make, since we can’t predict the future and so many things are outside of our control.

I’m personally OK with the PCR test results making the decision for us. My husband and I are older, we’ll be able to rely on each other during hardships, at home or abroad. I have lived in foreign countries since I was 19, so I’m used to not being able to see my family for weddings, funerals, etc. You have your own personal priorities though. Go with your gut instinct if the “Pros/Cons” list fails.

1 Like

No pandemic in the history of humanity has been forever. Sure, there are still pathogens around from previous pandemics, but they no longer necessitate the restrictions in our daily lives that we have been enduring for the last year and a half. We will see the back of this thing.

2 Likes

viruses are endemic.
covid is going to become endemic with the way its mutating and going over to animal resevoirs
its literally never going to end. but yeah the pandemic itself will end once we accept that. taiwan seems to be the least willing to do that.

2 Likes

We did manage to drive the smallpox virus to extinction and the poliovirus to the edge of extinction. It is possible.

What we need to do to get back to normal is vaccinate (and booster) the vast majority of the global population. We have made significant progress, and vaccine production will increase and reformulations will continue to be made.

Covid won’t stay out of Taiwan forever, so we need to vax the entire population of those eligible before we open up. We can achieve this before summer 2022 if we make a concerted effort.

3 Likes

the reason why small and polio were able to be destroyed was because the vaccine actually prevent transmission. the covid vaccines do not prevent transmission meaning herd immunity is impossible. again lets not turn this discussion debating vaccines. but yes hopefully they will realize they have to open up.

3 Likes

And how many people are willing to line up every few months for a booster. The flu shot uptake is not great, and I doubt people will be willing to keep taking Covid booster shots forever.

1 Like

Once a year, most people who already took the yearly flu shot will be willing. The problem will come if they want every man and his dog to take a shot every 6 months.

So far the biggest complaints I see are you have to wear a mask and there are plastic barriers in restaurants. Sounds so draconian doesn’t it?

I don’t get the complaints with wearing a mask because the need to wear them is not going away no matter where you live. And really it’s not that big of a deal.

If you are just beginning to learn Chinese then maybe it sucks not being able to see someone’s mouth, but pronunciation is like the first few months of learning. Once you know how to pronounce correctly, you don’t need to stare at someone’s mouth all the time. Even if class was online you still have the advantage of being in an entirely Chinese speaking environment and using the language wherever you go. If you really want to learn, then immersion is more important than sitting in a classroom with a mask-less teacher.

3 Likes

I would not come right now if I was you.

1 Like

I think the possibility of being involuntarily hauled off into solitary confinement for 2 weeks is pretty draconian, actually.

9 Likes

And so does the entire press. Do you work for Eva Air? Then I wouldn’t worry about it. As I said, in everyone’s experience here, the biggest complaint is a mask and some plastic at a restaurant. I know plenty of people that received a text of possible exposure, none of them were hauled off.

Being forced to change into diapers and hauled off to an unknown location with zero heads up with no ac and choice is the definition of draconian.

3 Likes

And you’re taking one isolated incident and extrapolating that to everyone. That is just not the reality on the ground.

3 Likes

Eva air workers don’t matter this can happen to anyone. You clearly have the reading comprehension of a two year old. They shoved everyone who was in contact with the pilot and his son onto buses… Students as well.

1 Like

It’s not an isolated incident. It’s literally going to be the case if there’s another outbreak which is matter of when not if.

3 Likes

No I have the experience of actually living here and knowing plenty of people that received exposure notifications. But whatever if you want to find any excuse to whine and be paranoid then go for it. Why ask if you’ve already come to your own conclusions?

4 Likes

And in Taiwan there is zero recourse. Especially as a foreigner if it happens.

3 Likes

If you actually loved and cared about Taiwan you would be criticizing this behavior… instead you’re making excuses for it. Sad.

1 Like

I think too early to say. We don’t have enough vaccines to make that judgement here

1 Like

Everybody has criticized this behavior which is why I know it will change. I have the experience of living through the last few months and seeing how policies have adapted and changed. You are making paranoid predictions without that experience. So if you’ve made up your mind already, then why bother asking.

3 Likes