Would you live in a place that someone died in?

If you buy a home through a real estate agent, you’ll come across an odd item in a myriad of papers they present to you; whether the property is a Xiong Zhai (a “violent house”). It means no one has died of unnatural death in the house. I guess it’s a way to certify the property is not haunted. While I wouldn’t purchase a xiong zhai, I probably wouldn’t mind living in a place someone died of natural death. But my Taiwanese friend advises me not to live in ANY building that someone has died in. Would you?

It’s pretty difficult not to, if your house is more than a generation or two old.

Can’t see that it would bother me.

If the seller had cleaned up the blood spatter and remains and if the price were right, then sure, why not? I know of property investors in HK whose specialty is buying up these sorts of flats, renovating them and then renting them out to foreigners who don’t care about the history of the place.

Generation after generation used to be born, raised, grow old and die in the same house. Why do people now shy away from such places? Doesn’t make sense to me. You drive your car or ride your bike on roads people have died on too. Avoiding such a spot seems very superstitious to me.

I have a very, very small number of real antiques (and a bunch of nice fakes) and once my Thai language exchange partner saw them and nearly freaked out. She said they made my place haunted. :laughing:

I prefer them. It’s like an excuse on a platter.

Ghouls are great for bringing perspective to any scenario.
Just ensure that the vagabonds understand exactly who is in possession.
Otherwise they tend to ride roughshod over the limp-wristed… :taz:

Sure, as long as the house wasn’t built on a piece of land that used to be a sort of insane asylum for Native Americans who were sick and dying.

Carol Anne! Carol Anne!

I guess you’ll never know if you’ll be living with Casper the friendly ghost or a poltergeist until you actually move in.

Well this Taiwanese couple wouldn’t live in a murder house.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Election-2004/Family-too-scared-to-live-in-house-of-horror/2004/10/04/1096871816447.html

The real estate agency ended up refunding the AU$80K deposit, the 2 agents who sold the house were fined AU$20K and the govt passed a law making it illegal to sell a house that a murder has occurred in without telling prospective buyers about the murder.

Milking it for all he can get.

We all were born on Earth, and we will all die on Earth (well, probably). In fact, many of us already have. It’s just the exact part that varies from person to person.

It’s no big deal.

I’ve lived in at least two houses in which someone has died (but not violently - one died of cancer and the other died of old age).

Never had a problem with ghosts! :slight_smile:

Some places, you have to put traps down.

The reason I don’t live in England any more is because that’s where all my grandparents died.

Well a good way to make sure there’s nothing “unclean” in your home is when you get up at 3:00 in the morning to pee, look into the mirror and make sure there’s no one (nothing) behind you. And if you see “red rum” written in reverse, start reciting the Lord’s Prayer. :wink:

Most of us think if we live there ,it will bring us the bad luck.

My house in the States used to be the town hospital.

A local historian asked me if I ever heard “strange noises” in the house. Nope, not yet…but it would be really cool if I did.

I would be uncomfortable. And you must notify buyers or renters if a unit has had a death in it here in the bay area.

IN Taiwan, usually those rooms would have nicer decor and have flowers in them if its in a hotel.

The house I grew up in was more than 300 years old. I know for a fact that one previous owner blew his brains out in the living room with a shotgun, and I’m sure that others would have died there over the years. So what?
The place my old yins live now had clansmen and redcoats killing each other in the garden. So what? It’s cool to find the basket off an old claymore or an engraved escutcheon plate or the firing mechanism off an old flintlock or something (all of which my dad has found while turning over the soil there). Adds a bit of colour and atmosphere to think of the footsteps that have walked before you.
There’s a couplet in a Robert Frost poem, the title of which escapes me, that says “There walk no ghosts something something something New England’s byways something something something
But one misses the ghosts.” I wish I could find it again.