Would you pay 400USD to volunteer?

This is unbelievable. Where do these guys get off? Imagine someone actually going for this…PT Barnum is laughing his head off in that big top in the sky.

Shall we write to them :smiling_imp:?

:shock: The scary thing is they’ll get people.

I certainly wouldn’t have any dealings with an organisation that wrote such a poor ad!

This is the reason English teaching jobs in China aren’t worth doing. Enough fools who’ll do it for nothing !

I can’t find any information about the organisation sponsoring this.
It’s not clear if it’s a charity, company or other organisation.

It’s ripe for abuse, for unsuspecting fools.

Kenneth

I found a guy that would be perfect for the job.

Depends on the organization. If it is a charitable organization, then if someone wants to volunteer, fine. Lots of volunteer ESL opportunities in the US. A volunteer opportunity that offers “pocket” money, room and board, and airfare… if it’s legit, a pretty good deal. But one should definitely check it out thoroughly before signing up and make sure they that really are providing classes to needy folks who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity as opposed to taking advantage of naive English teachers and pocketing their would-be salaries.

They find enough suckers to go to Taiwan for nada, too:

eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=6928

Between $1000-3000NT pocket money, plus an amazing 100-400NT telephone allowance. At eight hours a day working, that’s a steal! Woo-hoo!

If you’re only looking for a week or two experience, it’s really not a bad deal. Not to make money, of course. Just to have a cheap excursion.

Of course, it would appeal mostly to undergrads who are more likely to have a week or two to spare and they’re asking for college grads. And who knows what their program is like - but they can’t expect much from inexperienced, just-off-the-plane volunteers, or give them much responsibility. Lead songs, play games… just be a foreign face and native English speaker for the English camp. I mean, if you shelled out money to send your kid to Chinese camp in your home country, wouldn’t you expect at least a few Chinese there?

So I could see how for a new college grad who hasn’t gotten a full time job yet and isn’t looking to work/live abroad for any extended time, it could be a relatively cheap interesting experience.

[quote=“mod lang”]They find enough suckers to go to Taiwan for nada, too:

eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=6928

Between $1000-3000NT pocket money, plus an amazing 100-400NT telephone allowance. At eight hours a day working, that’s a steal! Woo-hoo![/quote]

Qualifications:

1. Native English speakers
  2. At least hold BA/BS degree
  3. Energetic and outgoing
    4. Make up your decision soon

ha ha… thats rich

I guess you have be pretty stupid and desperate to accept that offer.

I’ll do it :stuck_out_tongue:

YMCA in Kaohsiung ran a beautiful scam a while back. Free housing, “practice your Mandarin”, “experience an exciting culture”, and a $20,000NT a month stipend. All you had to do was teach 40 hours a week. :laughing: