Would you try to stop an urban wildlife hunter?

Yes, that’s what I said. Which is completely different than what you claimed I said in my first post. If you don’t fully understand my point, then ask me to clarify, instead of putting words in my mouth.

1 Like

OK…
So you saying, torture of animals for sports entertainment is less unsettling?

Correct?

I’m saying that if someone is hunting birds for food in an urban setting like a city, it has more unsettling connotations than someone hunting birds for sport in a city… which is already plenty unsettling. Because it means either the person is completely insane, or someone is so starved they’ve resorted to such a desperate measure.

(I’m not talking about someone hunting birds for food in a rural environment. I’m assuming you saw this in an urban environment)

1 Like

Perhaps my signification was not entirely claire? I am totally opposed to the practice of hunting for it is veritably an horror for an animal to live in liberty and then to die violently like this. It is surely something that I could not deny. At the same time I admit that I have myself partaken in the hunting for the Christmas pudding, of which the taste is irresistible! It is particularly savourous if it is drowned slowly in creme.

Hunting squirrels is very common across SE Asia and used to be common here.

He shouldn’t be hunting squirrels in an urban setting but if he did it further in the bush I would have zero qualms (as a meat eater) with that.

1 Like

It’s common to see Vietnamese/Thai/Filipinos hunt for food in the countryside, not for sadistic entertainment.

maybe next time you see them again, you can go up to them and tell them, for health reasons, they shouldn’t be eating wild meat…we don’t want Ebola spreading across Taiwan.

We probably need a whole new thread for this. I would say it’s much less horrible than living your life in a concrete box full of shit and disease, and then being packed off to a killing floor where you can see all your cellmates being inexpertly dispatched and gutted. Do you disagree?

Most hunters, I believe, pride themselves on a clean kill, and AFAIK they don’t take pleasure in actually ending a life. The aim is to provide meat for the table.

Humans eat meat. I get that some people would prefer not to, but 90%+ of them do and always will. Reconciling that aspect of ourselves with a concern for animal welfare is a challenge, but I don’t think it’s an insurmountable one.

Killing animals with the intent to cause suffering is just psychopathic.

Nah, it’s for entertainment. There is no wildlife in an urban setting that’s useful for food. Except stray dogs, I suppose. And as you said, it’s a health hazard; animals that live in cities survive mostly on trash and carrion.

Do you understand how dairy cattle are raised?

1 Like

I agree.

an animal to live in liberty and then to die violently is a natural thing.

1 Like

22 posts were merged into an existing topic: A completely useless thread

TBH, I’m not sure if @Fabrice was being sarcastic, trolling, or maybe just honest, dunno, and this is probably because of the way he expresses himself in English, which seems to be a bit bombastic. I haven’t read the last message though, maybe it was revealing.

Anyway, please let’s stay on topic. I love eating animals. I think I’ve said it before, but every time I visit the zoo I feel hungry as fuck, all the time wondering what’s the best way to cook that animal, if barbecue is enough or if perhaps a pit oven would be a better approach. Same when I go to a big aquarium. Hmmmmm… tasty…

I guess that kids are not super empathetic with animals, I’ve done my own share of fucked up things when I was a kid, but I always loved animals and now I even respect them most of the times. To inflict unnecessary pain to an animal is just wrong, and it shows that there’s something off with the person who does it. A normal grown up shouldn’t do it.

Now, that’s nothing to do with eating. Eating animals is why God put so many around, so we could try them all. Even human flesh might be interesting…

Eh…what’s up doc?

Animals don’t live in liberty. They ain’t woke.

That, and being a steward of the land. Too many deer equals chronic wasting disease sooner or later, which is just horrible. Maintaining the population also allows smaller beasts and birds to return to a region, as the deer pretty much ravage the land. The only animal worse for the land I can think of are beavers…and we trap them ostensibly for their fur and whatever the Chinese are willing to pay for the fur, but really because they are the terrors of the water table.

Now if you want to talk meat, I’d vote, like literally cast a vote, to shoot hawks. TRY and find a rabbit stew in September in upstate NY. :rant:

1 Like

In the country, they are targets. :whistle:

FIFY

What, kids don’t have rocks in the country of your country?

1 Like

2 Likes

First Principles, pilgrim.
Everybody got rocks.
The question is, what are you goin to do with them??

@arcticsquid I changed the title as a TL3 member (not as a mod) because I thought it was vague and confusing. Interesting post, though.

Until “gutted”, I thought you were talking about humans! Change it to “emotionally gutted” and I suppose it works… :frowning_face:

I thought he was reminiscing about his school days in England…

1 Like

Nah, that would be ‘buggered’, not ‘gutted’. Have to keep that middle wicket sticky, chaps!