Would you vote Palin for school board?

Congratulations, jetsetters and international people sounds like the sort of description you hear from people so vastly removed from such a lifestyle. Indeed it sounds like something straight out of the Palin suburban neanderthal drawer! :bravo:

C’mon, let’s hear your defence of Palin.

HG[/quote]

He supports a liberal elitist but makes statements that one could expect coming from the mouth of the very upstanding people he is ridiculing. Surely, we all expected more from such an urban sophisticate :smiling_imp:

So you can’t defend Palin either? Fair enough.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]So you can’t defend Palin either? Fair enough.

HG[/quote]

This is one explanation. The other is less palatable. Could it be that our friends on the Right: Chewy, Tainan Cowboy, and the rest of their gang, actually aren’t the people we presume them to be? We imagine that because they live overseas and have university degrees they don’t believe the world is 6000 years old, all life is descended from Noah and his animals, and that reading is a waste of time. I don’t like to believe this either, but maybe they support Sarah Palin because they are like her.

To be fair, it’s gotta take some balls to fly in the face of the obvious disaster they’ve backed for the past eight years and opt for an even dumber version of the same for the next four. Or maybe they have a vested interest in seeing America on it’s knees?

One things for sure, they’re not willing to defend Palin here, so at least they can retain some sense of dignity, Mind you that is never going to be enough to offset the godawful racist dribble they’re been playing with.

HG

Melanie Philips shares many of the same views as Palin, she used to be on the left but now she is known for her columns in the right-wing [color=#FF0000]tabloid[/color] the Daily Mail. The Spectator is a similarly right-wing publication, but written in a more high brow style than the Mail.

Like Palin she thinks that evolution is “merely a theory”, and supports the teaching of creationism in schools. She was also one of the leading voices in questioning the safety of the MMR vaccine, persisting in this against all scientific evidence. She also denies man-made global warming.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanie_Philips

Anyway maybe this should be on a different thread.

Chewy you forgot to reply to the topic, what do you think of the choice, and would you indeed vote for her on a school board (presuming her opponent wasn’t a radical Marxist, Islamist, terrorist supporter)?

[quote=“Mawvellous”]
what do you think of the choice[/quote]

Who was the first Forumosan to mention the merits of Sarah Palin? :whistle: She has energized the grassroots. She is a tremendous choice.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=67582&p=832416&hilit=palin#p832416

Ah yes.

HG

[quote=“ScottSommers”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]So you can’t defend Palin either? Fair enough.

HG[/quote]

This is one explanation. The other is less palatable. Could it be that our friends on the Right: Chewy, Tainan Cowboy, and the rest of their gang, actually aren’t the people we presume them to be? We imagine that because they live overseas and have university degrees they don’t believe the world is 6000 years old, all life is descended from Noah and his animals, and that reading is a waste of time. I don’t like to believe this either, but maybe they support Sarah Palin because they are like her.[/quote]

Nothing these people have said over the years would suggest they are Christian fundamentalists. Tigerman for one has come out in defense of gay rights (and Chewie more tepidly but I believe he is sincere) and claims to have written to Rick Santorum criticizing his anti-gay agenda. So, like I said, it’s partisanship. They vote the ticket. Party before country. It’s pathetic but that’s about all there is to this.

So what? Whatever merits she has, and obviously she has some, are offset by her championing of ignorence, her fundamentalist mindset, her corruption, her abuse of powers, her race baiting, her bizarre ability to lie outright (the report cleared me of any ethical violations) and so on. She is not a maverick who will sweep in and clean up the corrupt old boy’s network but someone who brings her own corruption to the table.

It’s fine to have been impressed with her a year ago, or even when she first appeared on the national scene. I even said at the time she seemed an interesting figure but one had to watch in the coming weeks. Well, the coming weeks came and went and they swept aside in most rational people’s mind any notions that this woman was suitable for the vice presidency.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Mawvellous”]

Who was the first Forumosan to mention the merits of Sarah Palin? :whistle: She has energized the grassroots. She is a tremendous choice.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … in#p832416[/quote]

So that’s going to be your answer? Someone you wouldn’t want teaching your children is great because another group of people you wouldn’t invite over for dinner gets excited.

I’m actually a little surprised at how easily you’ll fallen for this ‘energizing the roots’ stuff. Why are the rural white men who overwhelming support Palin “the roots”? Oh, I forgot, the well-informed person who called Obama an “Arab” is a woman.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Mawvellous”]

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=67582&p=832416&hilit=palin#p832416[/quote]

Apparently the choice hasn’t helped McCain much this election, do you think a different choice would have given McCain a better chance of winning the election?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

Nothing these people have said over the years would suggest they are Christian fundamentalists. Tigerman for one has come out in defense of gay rights (and Chewie more tepidly but I believe he is sincere) and claims to have written to Rick Santorum criticizing his anti-gay agenda. So, like I said, it’s partisanship. They vote the ticket. Party before country. It’s pathetic but that’s about all there is to this.[/quote]

Not tepidly. I fully support gay rights as I support other rights between loving couples. A hole is a hole. As long as it’s between two consenting adults, whatever one they prefer is no one’s business but their own. :laughing: As long as they’re getting off, it’s all good.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Mawvellous”]

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=67582&p=832416&hilit=palin#p832416[/quote]

Apparently the choice hasn’t helped McCain much this election, do you think a different choice would have given McCain a better chance of winning the election?[/quote]

Why don’t you think it hasn’t helped him? Huge crowds have been generated everywhere she goes. The press can’t stop talking about her. The grassroots of the party (vital to any Republican winning) have been energized. She hasn’t put her foot in her mouth nearly as many times as consumate Washington insider and plagarizer Joe Biden has. That she has sparked so much debate and been attacked by so many liberals illustrates one thing to me. The Dims are scared of her.

So you’ve always thought it was OK to be VP if you think foreign policy is looking at another country from your house and scientists don’t know anything about science? Or is that you didn’t know about this then, and now that you do, it doesn’t matter?

The Meister of Chew said: [quote]Not tepidly. I fully support gay rights as I support other rights between loving couples. A hole is a hole. As long as it’s between two consenting adults, whatever one they prefer is no one’s business but their own. :laughing: As long as they’re getting off, it’s all good.[/quote]

So, if they are not getting off, then you are against gay marriage. How will they prove that they are enjoying sex?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
Why don’t you think it hasn’t helped him? Huge crowds have been generated everywhere she goes. The press can’t stop talking about her. The grassroots of the party (vital to any Republican winning) have been energized. She hasn’t put her foot in her mouth nearly as many times as consumate Washington insider and plagarizer Joe Biden has. That she has sparked so much debate and been attacked by so many liberals illustrates one thing to me. The Dims are scared of her.[/quote]

I admit I am scared of her. But then I am a “leftist.” The problem is that many centrist/swing voters (and even some Republicans) are also scared of her. So although she has energised the base, on balance she hasn’t helped the McCain campaign.

So, if they are not getting off, then you are against gay marriage. How will they prove that they are enjoying sex?[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: If they’re not getting off, maybe they should try someone new, rent a video, or have an old-fashioned wank.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Muzha Man”]

Nothing these people have said over the years would suggest they are Christian fundamentalists. Tigerman for one has come out in defense of gay rights (and Chewie more tepidly but I believe he is sincere) and claims to have written to Rick Santorum criticizing his anti-gay agenda. So, like I said, it’s partisanship. They vote the ticket. Party before country. It’s pathetic but that’s about all there is to this.[/quote]

Not tepidly. I fully support gay rights as I support other rights between loving couples.[/quote]

Bullshit. Plain un-deodorized bullshit.

You support a woman who energizes a base that is hostile to gay rights. This is not about being an adult and having more than one issue that is important to you. To you, Palin’s appeal is she energizes bigots. This can’t square with a belief in supporting gay love.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Muzha Man”]

Not tepidly. I fully support gay rights as I support other rights between loving couples.[/quote]

Bullshit. Plain un-deodorized bullshit.

You support a woman who energizes a base that is hostile to gay rights. This is not about being an adult and having more than one issue that is important to you. To you, Palin’s appeal is she energizes bigots. This can’t square with a belief in supporting gay love.[/quote]

Mucha Man,

Politics isn’t so black and white. I don’t agree with the Republicans on some issues. However, it would be fair to say, I agree with them on more issues than I disagree with them on and certainly on more issues than I agree with present-day Democrats on.

As I’ve stated on so many occassions in the past, if I were an American, I would be a Scoop Jackson or Joe Lieberman type of Democrat. :laughing: Moderate to liberal on social issues, moderate to conservative on economic issues, and a hawk on foreign policy. Lots of neocons (Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, Elliott Abrams, Charles Horner, Douglas Feith etc.) all started out as Jackson staffers or proteges.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_M._Jackson

However, if the Dims keep on nominating McGovern-, Dukakis-, Kerry, or Obama-like candidates, then I’ll be hoping the Republicans keep on winning.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Muzha Man,

Politics isn’t so black and white. I don’t agree with the Republicans on some issues. However, it would be fair to say, I agree with them on more issues than I disagree with them on and certainly on more issues than I agree with Democrats on.

As I’ve stated on so many occassions in the past, if I were an American, I would be a Scoop Jackson or Joe Lieberman type of Democrat. :laughing: Moderate to liberal on social issues, moderate to conservative on economic issues, and a hawk on foreign policy. Lots of neocons (Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, Elliott Abrams, Charles Horner, Douglas Feith etc.) all started out as Jackson staffers or proteges.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_M._Jackson

However, if the Dims keep on nominating McGovern-, Dukakis-, Kerry, or Obama-like candidates, then I’ll be hoping the Republicans keep on winning.[/quote]

So again, why champion a woman whose views are inimical to yours? Why champion a woman who would undermine issues of basic human rights that you are in fully in support of?

You don’t have to like Palin to still think the Repub ticket is better overall for America. I can perfectly comprehend someone voting on the larger package. I cannot understand someone champion a person who will energize the bigoted base of the Republican party when they do not agree with the agenda of that section of the party. And that is what you have done.

It’s cynical to applaud someone for getting the Repubs into power when you have no intention of actually rewarding those people with the social policies they favor. So what is it about Palin you like? Her championing of ignorence and bigotry, her corruption, her abuse of power, or her ability to get the voters out for MacCain regardless of the demands those voters will put on their candidate.