Wow...Yamaha Cygnus scooters are FAST

I’ve owned my Cygnus for about 4 years now. When I first bought it…it had a top speed of about 105…110 if I was lucky. I put in a bigger engine which helped the acceleration but it still couldn’t top 110. Then after a year or two the modified engine burnt itself out. So I threw the stock one back in. Now it had a top speed of about 95 or 100. Recently I noticed I can barely reach 90. So I take it to the Autobike shop in Chung-Li. He does some legal mods to the gears as well as replacing some parts that were starting to wear. So yesterday I’m on an open road…and the scooter flys up to 115…I’m thinking “WOW” then I realize I’m still sitting straight up…so I lean forward and the speedo starts moving again…120…125…130…and then something starts to slip so I lay off. But wow…crazy…stock 125cc scooter doing 130.

The guy at the shop has some more serious mods on his…he can do 160 with acceleration (up to 120) faster than some yellow plate motorcycles. Crazy.

I gotta know where this shop is.

I need details: Parts, mods. What did he do. Can I do it to a new one with a TPS?
Right now my old Suzuki AN125 can out everything my new Cygnus. What can I do. :help:

From the “Reccomended Mechanics” thread:

They aren’t afraid of a little work and they are amazingly honest. They also have a few metal workers there so if a part isn’t available…they’ll create something that’ll work well enough. They are also very good at doing hi-performance mods to scooters and 2-stroke bikes.

Their number is 03-433-3232. The owner speaks minimal English.

[quote=“Chicken”]I need details: Parts, mods. What did he do. Can I do it to a new one with a TPS?
Right now my old Suzuki AN125 can out everything my new Cygnus. What can I do. :help:[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he just put in a different clutch spring…and rollers. Trick is knowing which ones to put in. I’ve had him change my spring and rollers at least 3 times before…with little improvement. I guess through trial and error he’s found the “sweet spot”.

Is the bike less fuel economic now or still the same?
I’d love to get some mods done to my Kymco EGO 150cc, but I’d hate to sacrifice fuel economy.

Sounds like he replaced your pulley. What happens is any older pulley tends to have what’s called a speed groove. The pulley is basically worn down at 70 or 80 whatever speed you top at during most frequent rides. It creates like a bump on the pulley and the belt can not get past it once you reach a certain speed. From that speed, the engine has to rev higher in order to go faster as there is no more tranny leeway.

New pulleys means that you belt goes a bit higher on the pulley at high speed which creates a faster gear ratio. It enables the engine to run at lower rev while going at the same speed. New pulleys save gas consumption and increases both acceleration and top speed on a scooter.

My BWS tops at 100 since I replaced the pulley. I can do 105 on a downhill road. Before that, the engine would rev just as high and the bike would top at 90-95. 10KMH or so, difference. Not a big difference but I find I can reach that speed much faster too. The BWS is nowhere near as fast as the Cygnus at take off though.

Performance pulleys are engineered for the belt go further up a tad on the pulley in terms creating an even faster gear ratio. I think it’s worth it to pay a bit more than just buying the stock replacement pulley.

A new pulley on any 4 years old scooter will make a big difference in all round performance.

I sincerely hope that this ‘guy’ has so much sense not only to make the scooter faster but also to upgrade the suspension and brakes to the new top speed. Anything else is irresponsible. :help:

[quote=“bobepine”]Performance pulleys are engineered for the belt go further up a tad on the pulley in terms creating an even faster gear ratio. I think it’s worth it to pay a bit more than just buying the stock replacement pulley.
A new pulley on any 4 years old scooter will make a big difference in all round performance.[/quote]Bobpine -
Thanks for this tip!
Sounds like a good one to keep in the trick bag.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“bobepine”]Performance pulleys are engineered for the belt go further up a tad on the pulley in terms creating an even faster gear ratio. I think it’s worth it to pay a bit more than just buying the stock replacement pulley.
A new pulley on any 4 years old scooter will make a big difference in all round performance.[/quote]Bobpine -
Thanks for this tip!
Sounds like a good one to keep in the trick bag.[/quote]

Did it with my Ford Mustang…stock to 3:73’s and on the weekend threw in 3:10’s.

Bottom end I flew but the top end speed was lowered a tad unless I installed a new 6 speed tranny.

Monster -
I think you mean you threw in a 4.10 rear end for the week end.
Maybe even a 4.11. That seems to be what I remember.
But coming from a 3.73, which is pretty hot already, to a 3.10 would raise your top end and slow your hole shots greatly.

the cygnus is a good scooter… that’s for sure… tho stock for stock i don’t think it could take down my fighter :wink: i’ve got another 200+km left till the mods start…

as for a top of 130… my old forte could reach 135 indicated on tai-yuan rd. (taichung)… i’ve read in reviews that the fighter max’s out at 140… tho i haven’t had a chance to test this yet (hey - she’s still in break-in mode)

and a hornet 250 max’s out at 170…

(the fastest i’ve gone was 185 on a 2002 zx6r)

[quote=“x08”]the cygnus is a good scooter… that’s for sure… tho stock for stock i don’t think it could take down my fighter :wink: i’ve got another 200+km left till the mods start…

as for a top of 130… my old forte could reach 135 indicated on tai-yuan Rd. (taichung)… i’ve read in reviews that the fighter max’s out at 140… tho i haven’t had a chance to test this yet (hey - she’s still in break-in mode)

and a hornet 250 max’s out at 170…

(the fastest i’ve gone was 185 on a 2002 zx6r)[/quote]

I’m a very strong believer in the “hard break in” method. And I suggest you take it up to it’s maximum speed ASAP to help offset any damage you’ve already done by riding it slowly at a time when you should be setting in the oil rings.

mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

But riding it hard will hurt other things? No, it won’t: mototuneusa.com/circular_logic.htm

[quote=“Mordeth”]I’m a very strong believer in the “hard break in” method. And I suggest you take it up to it’s maximum speed ASAP to help offset any damage you’ve already done by riding it slowly at a time when you should be setting in the oil rings.

mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

But riding it hard will hurt other things? No, it won’t: mototuneusa.com/circular_logic.htm[/quote]

actually… i believe in not treating it too soft, but not too hard too… i’ll give it bursts, but not for prolonged periods… and i refuse to bring her up to 3 digits yet (advised limit is 70)

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Monster -
I think you mean you threw in a 4.10 rear end for the week end.
Maybe even a 4.11. That seems to be what I remember.
But coming from a 3.73, which is pretty hot already, to a 3.10 would raise your top end and slow your hole shots greatly.[/quote]

Yip…typo.