Write a negative restaurant review in Taiwan and go to jail

I agree that a wider perspective is sometimes needed, but there might be more than one wider perspective at work here.[/quote]
Absolutely. And about the issue at hand: it is not difficult to document that there exist some silly laws in Taiwan (I know you appreciate good documentation and don’t just make up your mind on a fact-free whim), and it is also not difficult to document that there exist silly laws all over the world. You can also find people who make use of certain laws in ways that were not intended or envisioned by their framers and that arguably cause more damage to society than the laws were meant to prevent - and again, this is not unique to Taiwan but applies to anywhere in the world.

Knowing that Taiwan is not unique when it comes to silly laws is no reason to ignore such laws or even pretend they did not exist - on the other hand, none of that negates the fact that we can find plenty of accurate, sensationalist, or outright false reporting as well as many unfounded/unsupportable opinions (inlcuding hasty generalisations and judgements) - both in the mainstream media and on BBSs and blogs… :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, there’s a lot of crazy doings in my home country. But they’re crazy doings that I’m used to.

A lot of my internal life here is just a lengthy process of learning the mental and emotional ropes. And even if I had a way to assay everything–if I could put everything in some kind of centrifuge–and if I found out from the assay that things are actually better for me here on balance than they were back home, there’d still be a process of getting used to things.

A lengthy process:

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Skyfae”][color=#0040FF]I will be coming to Taiwan next month and I just wanted some opinions on adjustment. How long did it take you all to adjust to living in Taiwan? If at all…:slight_smile:

Thank you!
[/color][/quote]

20 years give or take :smiley:[/quote] How long did it take you to adjust? - #23 by Satellite_TV

Satellite TV is also a naturalized citizen of the ROC.

A long time ago, one of my uncles (now deceased) told me, “Any job you have, there’s going to be something you don’t like about it.” I would say that in my case, the same kind of principle applies to places of residence.