Writers Unite

A “clearinghouse for information” might be the best description. I’ve given my reasons for email over a website, but would agree that when people think of “mailing lists” they start throwing chairs around and gnawing at the curtains.

I may have to go the website route if feedback is generally negative or hostile. I will see what happens over the next few weeks.

My goal - I’ve said it many times - share information. That is it. That’s the idea, the agenda, the concept. This in turn will remove the isolation a little.

For you and others with vastly more experience, then it’s highly probable you won’t come on board, but some other foreigners in China have formed similar opinions to my own. I won’t convince everybody here, but some have become sick and tired of the status quo. They and myself want to share a little.

A “non-union union”. Hmmm.

You’re experienced. You’re connected. Good for you. But, not everybody is.

You’re only looking at this from your perspective, while I’m trying to look at the bigger picture.

But I don’t just want to sit back, do nothing and hide in the shadows. That hasn’t worked. So, I’ve decided to try a new approach. Perhaps, it’s the wrong approach, but I won’t know until I try.

[quote]
It is now nap time for us older folks after having a wonderful Subway sandwich which my teaching, not my writing, paid for.[/quote]

I get the point. You made it many times.

[quote=“sandman”]So what you really seem to want is to set up some kind of deal whereby you have a way of telling young kids not to undercut the market?
That would be great, but its not going to work. There will always be someone willing to work for virtually nothing in order to get their foot in the door. Its the nature of the business – of practically ANY non-union business, in my experience.[/quote]

I understand your points. It’s not just focusing on the problems of undercutting, I’m aware of them. You’re right - it is the nature of the business - and I can live with it.

[quote]
As for the email thing, I agree with the others – just more junk to have to deal with every day. A Website would be far better, IMO. [/quote]

All opinions are valid and interesting to me.

I might give it a consideration, but wouldn’t jump to conclusions.

If most people form the same views as you and Brian, then clearly the idea is doomed. However, if most people have the alternative stance that the idea has some merit, then it could work.

I’ll soon find out and thanks to the people here for their astute observations.

I’m just curious.

Is this so a writer can gain exposure through free work that is published and they can then refer to it in their resume.

Or, is it something else again.

Let me give you some positive advice. Rather than spending time trying to get your mailing list going why don’t you just tell us right here on this thread some of the things that we would learn if we joined the ShapeSphere Official China-Taiwan Writers Mailing List.

As a show of good will I will start; here is Brian’s Writers Fact for the Day: the average law book sold to a Taiwanese publisher for a 3 year copyright gets you $85,000 NT (minus the tax bite). When you divide that among the hours that you, your wife and your local attorney friend spent editing it you realize the real money lies in owning a noodle push cart business.

See I helped you even though you were kind of snide to me. I feel “irie” because I am listening to Radio Zion on this Sabbath morning.

catch a fire brother,
Rasta Writer Brian

San Min pays 12,000 per kids book and they will never ever, ever pay you royalties no matter how long you discuss it with them so save your breath.

Taiwan Foreign Language Editors’ Corner

A relevant thread on Forumosa:

I’m just curious. Is this so a writer can gain exposure through free work that is published and they can then refer to it in their resume. Or, is it something else again.[/quote]

It could be, if you view things in a negative and cynical light. Maybe you’re right, but I look at it another way.

The website admin provides the service free of charge. Yes, it demonstrates their website is good and helpful, and so more people will return and thus keep the website alive and possibly generate some revenue from all the ‘clicks’ people make. That’s how I see it.

I already have. Gave you all some useful info on reputable organisations in Beijing. That’s an idea of the plan.

You originally expressed no interest in my idea and dismissed it: “I do not need an email list or a non-union union to know these things”, “And in any event it is much ado about nothing since the editing/writing work pays so little …”

Now you’re keen on sharing information. Why the sudden change of heart?

While I’m determined to make this work, I clearly have to focus my time on getting the message across in the simplest means possible.

You’re also missing the point. This is not just a one-man show. I need more people to join, and so each piece of the jigsaw we have can be combined to form a clear picture across China & Taiwan.

Thank you. I’ve not written a book yet, but it’s very useful.

I think most members will contribute about article/magazine writing & editing. But, any aspect of this profession will be interesting and relevant.

In which sentence was I snide?

I’ve only had to repeat myself on many occasions to get my point across and I’ve been remarkably polite considering the hostility, negativity and little “digs” received. Others would have moved on, but I’m more determined and thick-skinned.

However, people’s reactions are expected. I’m an unknown quantity and have just come into your clique attempting to get an idea across. Naturally you’re all sceptical and so I would be if the tables were reversed.

I’ve explained the concept to the best of my abilities and believe the premise is not complicated, but arguably methods of communicating its data are something I need to think about. Cheers.

ShapeSphere you’re trying too hard. You’re like the salesman with his foot in the door.

And now you’re going to give me an overly-defensive 600-word essay about how you’re not selling anything, we’re not listening etc etc etc blah blah blah

[quote=“ShapeSphere”]
I’ve explained the concept to the best of my abilities and believe the premise is not complicated, but arguably methods of communicating its data are something I need to think about. Cheers.[/quote]

“communicating its data”? Are you sure this is a group for native English speaking writers? Or is it China-creep (you’ve been in China so long you’ve started to lose your native usage in English)? The usage throughout this thread does not sound like a native English speaking editor/writer to me.

Next time I’ll try less harder and aim lower.

I think my previous post was a clue: I’ve explained the concept to the best of my abilities and believe the premise is not complicated, but arguably methods of communicating its data are something I need to think about. Cheers.

Thanks for all the points made.

[quote=“ironlady”][quote=“ShapeSphere”]
I’ve explained the concept to the best of my abilities and believe the premise is not complicated, but arguably methods of communicating its data are something I need to think about. Cheers.[/quote][/quote]

What on earth are you on about? Do a google search and for heaven’s sake think about what you write.

Yes. Next question.

You mean some people get confused by ‘he’ and ‘she’ or ‘do’ and ‘does’?

I’ve seen so many people make that accusation of other people on other sites, that it defies logic.

Your accusation reveals more about your own persona than you could possibly imagine.

Clearly, this thread has reached a “certain” point and my original message has been lost.

“Discuss the message, not the messenger.”

Good bye.

About my “persona”? :loco:

You express “data” about a mathematical operation or other problem involving, well, data. You do not “express data” about a situation or proposal such as you have outlined.

Discussing the message and the messenger in this case are just about the same thing, if you’re recruiting for a writer’s whatever-it-is. And if you’re seeing that sort of comment about your English frequently, people just might be onto something.

God, the nit-picking going on in this thread! Can you believe it? The guy is suggesting something as simple as a mailing list where interested people can share information about bad clients and best practices for writers and editors. It’s simple, folks. No need to go into attacks about abilities or bad choices of words. That kind of stuff is off topic. If you don’t like his idea, don’t join in. If you like it, join.

The point is, he’s suggested the same thing about seventeen million times so far. The response has been underwhelming…so give up already! Start your list and figure that those who are interested have already been informed. If he keeps it up, he has to expect that people are going to start wondering just what his deal is.

And every time anyone asks for more details, he says exactly the same thing with a note saying he’s already explained it. Hence some of the shittiness. Plus the fact he seems very much unaware of the dramatic differences between the markets on either side of the strait. And also the fact that if all he’s suggesting is a mailing list of the fashion you say, why bother? There’s already plenty of them. Anyone professional enough who gives a shit will already be involved with one of those, be it in website, mailing list, or some other form.