Writing characters important at universities?

I was considering signing up for a Chinese class at one of the universities in Taipei. I have already studied for awhile, but haven’t focused on writing. While reading is important to me, writing by hand isn’t.

With this in mind, how important is writing - by hand - at the local universities? Could I get by without having to focus on writing characters by hand? Thanks

At Shida the teachers often give dictations, which require you to write characters by hand. All tests - which they waste one day a week with - require you to write characters. Non-university schools won’t require you to write characters, as long as you let them know you don’t want to when you enroll.

Thanks for the reply. It was my impression that the writing was a big part of the curriculum. I wouldn’t mind dictation if I could use a laptop to type, but learning to write characters just isn’t practical for my needs… something I do if I have spare time and the willingness. The test & class grade aren’t of importance either… assuming it didn’t keep me from going to another level.

Anyways, a private school might be a better choice, but I thought I would ask.

Now THAT’s an interesting idea…arranging to bring a notebook computer to class for dictations. It actually makes sense.

(Forget it…they’ll never go for it. But if enough students start requesting it, who knows??)

At my uni (Feng Chia) characters are important but I find most people have much more trouble with speaking than with writing and remembering characters.

[quote=“ironlady”]Now THAT’s an interesting idea…arranging to bring a notebook computer to class for dictations. It actually makes sense.

(Forget it…they’ll never go for it. But if enough students start requesting it, who knows??)[/quote]

Yeah, I tried suggesting that to the charming office staff on the 6th floor last year.

“You pay tuition, then you can ask teacher”

“And, If the teacher doesn’t agree?”, I asked.

“You pay tuition first”

Cue one angry “customer” making a quick exit.

You could always bandage your hands for each class and claim you have to type using a pencil held in your mouth…

I recently saw a reference to a class in the States that is emphasizing computer input and character recognition over production by hand. Very encouraging from my perspective.

Sounds like the “penless” method. (See also Penless Chinese.)

For the OP: As for universities in Taiwan, Kainan’s Mandarin center makes a point of emphasizing computers and its “e-pen software” (whatever that is). So you might want to check with them. They also have some sort of partnership with TLI, I believe.