Writing on Chinese banknotes

What are the other 4 languages on a (say) 100 ZHONGGUO REMIN YINGHANG bank note - I guess one is arabic - one might be bahasa (I know a little but never ventured into this kind of discussion) - one might be korean (but it does not look right) and the other could be sanskrit for all I know?

they are representative of the languages of China’s happy 53 ethnic groups: off the top of my head I think you’ve got Arabic, Tibetan, Chinese characters, and one or two others.

I carry a 1-fen Renminbi note in my wallet for good luck. The four languages are those of the five autonomous territories. There’s Mongolian for Inner Mongolia (no, it’s not Manchu, despite what anyone will tell you. Manchu is almost a dead language.), Uighur for Xinjiang (which uses the Arabic script), Tibetan, and of course, good old Chinese, which is the only language used in Guangxi and Ningxia autonomous territories.

Bahasa Indonesia wouldn’t be needed anywhere in China. I don’t believe there are any Austronesian family languages native to Mainland China, though I could be wrong.

The Uighur (Turkic language with Arabic script) says Cin Halk Bankasi (Cin pronounced like “chin” and halk like hulk as in the incredible hulk.) - Or something like that, anyway - The first word looks too long to be just “Cin.” Sorry, I only got part way through learning the Arabic alphabet, and that was a very long time ago.

The other language Dave didn’t mention is Zhuang. I mean the bit that says Cunghgoz Yinzinz Yinzhangz.

Click here to see some Chinese banknotes.

Click here for a magnified image where you can see the writing.

So which language is the little vertical squiggles?

I am impressed with the knowlege in this forum.

[quote=“rian”]So which language is the little vertical squiggles?

[/quote]

I always thought it was Manchu. It’s the same script as on all the Qing dynasty imperial buildings and temples. Why would the Qing use Mongolian?

Here’s a page with Manchu script (both graphical and unicode), pretty cool:
uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357/Test/Manchu.html

I always thought it was Manchu[/quote]

Dave is right - Why don’t you guys try reading the thread?

Plenty of languages use Latin script. There are also several that use Arabic or Cyrillic script. Why shouldn’t Mongolian and Manchu use the same or similar script? They are next-door neighbours, after all.

In China, Mongolian is written with Mongolian script - that sounds obvious until you realise that in Mongolia it is written with Cyrillic script (same as Russian.) Therefore I can read (but not understand) Outer Mongolian Mongolian, but not Inner Mongolia Mongolian - er, if you see what I mean.