WTF is my kid watching?

[quote=“keroliver”][quote=“irishmoe”]@Keroliver, there are times when a parent really needs a break to get other stuff done such as housework, cooking baby’s food, preparing lunch, whatever. Please don’t judge someone by the fact that their child watches a bit of tv and it’s a little unfair to imply that someone is not doing their job as a parent by allowing their kid to watch tv. My kids watch about 30mins of tv a day but I’m lucky I have two of them and when mum or dad have to get the dinner on they entertain eachother.
I think the OP is just unhappy that this show their child loves is actually crap![/quote]

May I suggest you do this other stuff altogether? Housework? Give them a broom. Cooking food? Bring him/her next to you until he can help. Wash clothes? The same. Do it together. And so on… FYI, yesterday after dinner, we prepared compost with our leftover. We don’t need TV. Neither do you.[/quote]
Dude, you’re crossing a line here. Take a step back. :thumbsup:

He’s not beating his kids. He’s letting them watch crappy TV. Chill. :thumbsup:

[quote]Dude, you’re crossing a line here. Take a step back. :thumbsup:

He’s not beating his kids. He’s letting them watch crappy TV. Chill. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Oh, I dunno. Maybe he’s being a bit blunt about it, but if you don’t like what’s on the TV, there’s always the option of throwing it off the roof. Back when finley had a family, we spent a lot of time glued to the shit pipe and thought nothing of it; that’s what everyone did, right? I don’t have a TV at all now, and I do wonder - 15 years on - if it melted our brains a bit. I don’t think it’s a good idea to tear a young kid away from a favourite show, and I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with bears and rabbits speaking to each other in Chinglish (I mean, seriously, how many bears and rabbits have you met who speak the Queen’s English?). But I’m sure kids used to grow up just fine without TV.

I think the guy was having a rant. Certainly wasn’t asking for parenting advice. Especially the old TV is the devil standby. :wink:

[quote=“keroliver”][quote=“irishmoe”]@Keroliver, there are times when a parent really needs a break to get other stuff done such as housework, cooking baby’s food, preparing lunch, whatever. Please don’t judge someone by the fact that their child watches a bit of tv and it’s a little unfair to imply that someone is not doing their job as a parent by allowing their kid to watch tv. My kids watch about 30mins of tv a day but I’m lucky I have two of them and when mum or dad have to get the dinner on they entertain eachother.
I think the OP is just unhappy that this show their child loves is actually crap![/quote]

May I suggest you do this other stuff altogether? Housework? Give them a broom. Cooking food? Bring him/her next to you until he can help. Wash clothes? The same. Do it together. And so on… FYI, yesterday after dinner, we prepared compost with our leftover. We don’t need TV. Neither do you.[/quote]

Well bully for you! :slight_smile: my kids are 4 and 2 and when mummy is busy and daddy is at work they watch 30 mins of tv. Big deal, and they watch nick by the way which has no advertising not for educational purposes or whatever but just for fun. What’s the big deal with that.

I commend you on living your life with no tv etc, but each to their own. I certainly will NOT judge you on your parenting skills so don’t judge me or the OP on ours.

HI
Not very sure what means ‘Well bully for you!’. I hope it’s polite. I was not trying to bully you or the OP.
I was suggesting a few activities for your children instead of these 30 minutes of TV. I did not judge.
If you feel so, then please try to read my posts again as a non native English speaker.
Maybe I should add some smileys. Let me try again:

May I suggest you do this other stuff altogether?
Housework? Give them a broom. :discodance:
Cooking food? Bring him/her next to you until he can help. :discodance:
Wash clothes? The same. Do it together. :discodance: And so on…
FYI, yesterday after dinner, we prepared compost with our leftover. :popcorn:
We don’t need TV. Neither do you. :noway:

Anyway, do as you want.

[quote=“kaikai34”]There’s a show that follows Teletubbies every morning that my kid likes to watch. It has a pair of siblings dressed up as a rabbit and a bear teaching English. It’s not the terrible accent that bothers me, but the terrible grammar. The sentence this morning was:
There are seven corns in the cornfield.

How hard would would it be to get a native English speaker to proofread the script?[/quote]

Bad show. Try Blues Clues. You can find some via torrents, but more on Youtube. It’s well done, without the Chinglish, and the content is very educational. Curious George is also well done, and educational.

Blue Planet and Planet Earth by the BBC got a lot of air time when my boy was younger. :thumbsup:

I think Blue’s Clues is pretty good as well. I had him on Baby Einstein for a while before my PS3 bit the dust. But yeah, I’ve got Planet Earth too. I’ll throw that on next time he watches TV, which really isn’t all that much. Less than 30 minutes a day under my care even though I don’t need to defend my parenting skills, but thanks to those who did stick up for me.

[quote=“keroliver”]HI
Not very sure what means ‘Well bully for you!’. I hope it’s polite. [/quote]

It means good for you and here’s a smiley face just for you :slight_smile: