Wuhan lab leak theory

I think finley is more looking at their anger at being under the thumb of Western powers for 200 years and the useless Opium Wars that were a part of that, and then invaded and raped by the Japanese.

but maybe their anger goes back further, to when the British stole their tea, and used that to set up their riches in the Indian Empire, at the expense of the Chinese.

or maybe the humiliation of the end of the Qing. and having to ‘give up’ Taiwan to Japan, as well as Hong Kong to the British. (Not that they ever had any strong hold over Taiwan other than a few farms along the west coast, and Tainan. Woohoo!)

or anger at the fact that Okinawa was never a part of their territory, successfully playing both sides (Japan and China) by paying tribute to both of them until the Meiji period when Japan formally annexed the Ryukyu kingdom.

or maybe they’re just annoyed that the British claim to have invented both golf AND football, when they are clearly historically Chinese.

2 Likes

Yes, all of that: and in addition, the tradition of completely unconstrained power accorded to Chinese leaders, allowing them to follow their darkest whims wherever they might lead.

I agree with the view that it was an accident, but perhaps the accident just happened a bit ahead of schedule.

1 Like

I’m sure Xi is terrified of Blinken and Biden.

They won’t do nothing.

1 Like

What did they screw up and is there evidence substantiating it?

Is that a serious question?

China has produced at least three novel viruses over the past decade or two, mainly (as far as we can tell) due to their appalling disregard for natural biohazards, in particular their insistence on appallingly low standards of care for animals in farms of various kinds. They do not deny that this happened.

China isn’t unique in this regard - all countries maintain standards of animal care that are almost guaranteed to cause rampant infections that have potential to jump species - but they certainly plumb the depths.

1 Like
3 Likes

It’s not just the care of farm animals, but the utter unhygienic of the food markets.

I don’t even go to Taiwan meat markets because I can’t see how a slab of meat that’s been left in the sun all day, poked and prodded by everyone who walks by and served by a bloke who hasn’t washed his hands for 6 hours can possibly NOT be riddle with bacteria.

In China, it’s even worse. Imagine buying your pork chops for the night 5 yards away from where a bloke is skinning toads …

1 Like
1 Like

Daszak totally had a conflict of interest and no way should have been on the ‘exonerating committee’ that was the WHO investigation. I think Fauci was far enough removed to not deserve the blame he is getting, but Daszak definitely deserves all the blow-back he’s getting/about to receive.

3 Likes

If this does hold up, I hope it’[s a lesson for scientists to stop faffing around developing diseases and viruses.

Not just in China, but they’re at it in other places too

How about just don’t create viruses in labs.

3 Likes

FFS. Smart people can really do some astoundingly stupid things.

1 Like

Well, we sure do understand them a lot better now, don’t we?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m so glad Wuhan scientists enhanced our understanding of coronavirus. It’s definitely worth having millions die, many more lose their jobs and businesses so we can understand future viruses better.

All it takes is one idiot for a virus to leak out. Just look at the number of disasters—radiation leaks, poisonings, gas leaks etc that are caused by one idiot. I’m surprised a major virus lab leak didn’t happen sooner tbh.

4 Likes

It’s not like they didn’t know it was dangerous. I think we can probably draw the line at creating new ones. Figure it out somehow else, people of science

3 Likes

Yeah, I fail to see how recreating smallpox or the bubonic plague is worth the risk.

I think in the 70s in the UK, a lab nearly leaked out smallpox after a researcher fell ill. And I think a lab in America was storing smallpox in a bog standard fridge.

Just leave it alone. There’s way too many idiots around to be trusted with experimenting on deadly viruses.

2 Likes

I actually get why they want to study a virus or develop a vaccine for a yet to be discovered virus but it is not as you say without risks. Which is why I get why Obama shut the program down in the US (mostly anyway) I am less sure why he reversed that decision just before leaving office.

A lot of what annoys me is the covering up and misdirection, China was locking down it’s own cities in mid January and by the last week of January had shut all flights internally from WuHan, yet continually pushed the WHO to claim there was no pandemic and anyone shutting international travel was over reacting. That’s one aspect which is bad.

The other which I noticed today was Matt Gates talking to Chris Wray. This is worth watching up till about the 1.05 mark.

The woman he is talking about is Dr Li-Meng Yan, I’d seen her on some talk shows but didn’t know she handed over text messages between herself and the head of the CDC in China that seemed to indicated they were discussing the military involvement in development of Coronavirus in WuHan lab as far back as December 2019. Wray seems to brush Gaetz off though.

2 Likes

nothing wrong with that if the fridge itself is well contained. well, most long term storage would be done in a freezer, so maybe it was a standard house hold freezer. how exactly does that differ from a research freezer, IDK.

for chemicals storage, the only difference is the use of brushless motors, so there’s no spark and consequent explosion risk when the motor kicks in. but for viruses, all you need is a box full of coldness. you can store it safely enough in a foam box filled with ice, as long as you observe the right enclosure protocols.

1 Like

Taking what’s likely happened I have to agree .
We can do partial experiments , this receptor with this receptor site , but not the full gain of function experiments.
We can try to model in computers .
We should stop all GoF research on pathogenic viruses.

And the collection of samples from the wild of zoonotic pathogenic viruses and cell culture of such , it’s probably got to stop. The risk is too high versus the reward.

2 Likes

Suggest you find more credible news sources. There’s no evidence covid originated in China, though there is evidence it was present Spain/Italy and US, where it was misdiagnosed as flu prior to first case discovered in Wuhan.

The irony of blaming China, is that US funded viral research in Wuhan and has plethora of bio-labs around the world, with unsurprisingly none located western Europe.

Um, there are many labs in Western Europe that work on such viruses. Just none of them receive US funding because the EU has money of its own.

and if you’re so gung-ho about the fact that the US funded Wuhan lab, why is it not marked on your map?

5 Likes