Wuliao Jian: Definitely NOT a Boring Hike! June 18

OK, we are once again heading out to the razor thin ridges south of Sanxia. This is one of the groups favorite hikes. Not the be missed. Rat, you missed it last time, so plan to come along. Same with you Ironman. Omni, you have been quiet lately. Hope you can make it.

Like last time we will have a slightly later start so we can end with dinner at Belgian Pies. If I remember, the hike was 6 hours in total including lunch and breaks. So we would want to be starting around 11.

The Taoyuan people can just meet us in Sanxia and maybe give us Taipei people a ride to the trail. Taipei people: I suggest we take the MRT to Yongning station and then a taxi to Sanxia. Should be less than NT200. I suggest the MRT because the only other option is the train to Yingge, but then we still need to cab it to Sanxia. I much prefer the convenience of the MRT, not to mention the cleanliness and lack of crowds.

BTW, one of the reasons I want to plan this hike is that Belgian Pie is closing at the end of the month. Since a stop at his restaurant after a Sanxia hike was about the best thing one could expect, I want to get the experience in as much as we can before it is over.

So, one of the best hikes in the north followed by a wonderful meal. Don’t miss out.

Here is the link to the old Wuliao Jian thread. Page 1, 7, 8 are best:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … c&&start=0

Some pics to whet the appetite:

I’m definitely in.

One word of caution: as you can see in the above pictures, there’s one particularly tricky descent down a rock face via a knotted rope. It’s easier than it looks, but you need to have a head for heights. We’ve done this hike twice before and everyone made it fine - people of all ages do it - but there were a couple people who were somewhat freaked out by the descent. This is also a hike recommended for dry days only, as it would be very dangerous on those rocks in the rain.

But it’s one of my favorite hikes because of the challenges and the sheer beauty of the surroundings. And unlike most hikes you will also give your upper body a workout.

[quote=“Chris”]I’m definitely in.

One word of caution: as you can see in the above pictures, there’s one particularly tricky descent down a rock face via a knotted rope. It’s easier than it looks, but you need to have a head for heights. We’ve done this hike twice before and everyone made it fine - people of all ages do it - but there were a couple people who were somewhat freaked out by the descent. This is also a hike recommended for dry days only, as it would be very dangerous on those rocks in the rain.

But it’s one of my favorite hikes because of the challenges and the sheer beauty of the surroundings. And unlike most hikes you will also give your upper body a workout.[/quote]

Yes, good points. Of course we will only attempt it on a dry day as you say.

I just realized that Omni has a car now. Mr O, if you come along would you be willing to take a few passengers?

It sounds to be a very exciting hike, so I am in.
Don’t worry Mucha Man… I will bring enough water this time for 6 hours of hike…
Chris, is the hike okay for someone who climbed up the summit of jade mountain?

Yes, I think it should be no problem for you, Jen.

Bugger. I’ll be overseas for the next two hike weekends. Last hike reminded me how much a walk in the wilderness with a nice bunch of people helps survival here.

Have fun guys.

Yes, I wanted to go on this hike and a stop at BP’s place afterwards would be great. I am sad to hear that he is closing, though. Nevertheless, I am only tentative in. It is still two weeks until the hike, and I am currently in the process of getting a diving license as well. So I am in between chairs and I will have to see how everything is working out.

D’oh. The hike s for THIS coming weekend. The 10th not the 17th. Sorry folks.

Well, the weather does not look too good for this weekend. Maybe we should have a back-up plan, the ceramic museum in Yingge followed by a dinner at the “Belgium Kitchen”. But again, Saturday is my scheduled diving day, but with the rain, I almost doubt it will happen.

It’s unlikely, I’m afraid. I’m taking a much-needed week’s holiday starting today, and am off to the east coast tomorrow in my car. My travel plans are open-ended, so I don’t know whether or not I’ll be back by Saturday, but I hope the trip and weather will be good enough that I’m not.

It’s unlikely, I’m afraid. I’m taking a much-needed week’s holiday starting today, and am off to the east coast tomorrow in my car. My travel plans are open-ended, so I don’t know whether or not I’ll be back by Saturday, but I hope the trip and weather will be good enough that I’m not.[/quote]

Oh, too bad. Do let us know what you see and do on the coast though as I am planning a similar trip at the end of the month (though only for 3 days or so).

I loved this hike when we did it last time! It’s on Saturday this week, so no-can-do :frowning:

BTW, I’m leaving in two months, we’ll have to get together before that, fellow tree huggers. :banana:

L.

the pictures look amazing, this is my first time coming on a hike so excuse the silly question. What will you guys do if it rains ?

Not a silly, but a sensible, question. For this hike, we won’t go. It’s just not possible in the rain, or even after a rain, as you have probably guessed already.

For others, we sometimes still go, depending on the trail. Often you can carry an umbrella, or wear a raincoat. This time of year you have to be careful though because the rains or torrential and can cause floods or landslides. On the other hand, it is also warn enough that getting a bit wet doesn’t matter much.

With the weather report the way it is, it is very unlikely this hike will happen. I will post the final word Friday night. If the weather is still questionable I might change the plan to a Muzha hike where the trails are safe even in the rain.

BTW, welcome to the club.

Well, the forecast is too lousy. No way to do this one. Let’s hope for next week. In any case, now Ironman can join us.

Any alternatives for tomorrow?

Or is the weather going to be really bad?

[quote=“Chris”]Any alternatives for tomorrow?

Or is the weather going to be really bad?[/quote]

Looks pretty bad to me, thunderstorms and showers.
wwwa.accuweather.com/world-forec … 2&metric=1

the 31 degrees don’t help either :frowning:

[quote=“snafu”][quote=“Chris”]Any alternatives for tomorrow?

Or is the weather going to be really bad?[/quote]

Looks pretty bad to me, thunderstorms and showers.
wwwa.accuweather.com/world-forec … 2&metric=1

the 31 degrees don’t help either :frowning:[/quote]

Oh 31 is a nice temp as long as you aren’t out on a ridge the whole time (oh wait, Wuliao Jian is a ridge hike).

Anyway, the weather bureau was forecasting up to 2 inches of rain tomorrow.

Okay, we are going to try again this Sunday June 18. I believe the weather will cooperate.

We’ll want to meet in Sanxia around 10. Those coming from Taoyuan can go directly to Sanxia and meet us at the traffic triangle just before the turnoff for Belgian Pie. Those of us coming from Taipei will probably have to take the MRT out to Yongning Station and then a cab.

I know the rats are in. Who else?