X Men 2 and the censors (spoilers)

I went and saw X Men 2 in Yung Ho on the opening night. It was a decent movie, but I was really pissed off by the shitty half-assed editing/censorship job by our information masters at the GIO. I was watching the movie and in parts the movie just jumps, same scene, just a part blatantly removed.

It really destroyed my experience. I was under the impression that this is a free society. Why do you need to have a movie so blatantly censored? Now some might think it’s just the projector, but I was there and the parts normally had something to do with someone getting hurt or killed.

ImaniOU- Sorry baby, I forgot after I saw that the theater had the new X men 2 movie. I know that I’m a dead man though.

Tomas- Thank you for taking me to such a wonderful place.

Cheers,
Okami

Are you sure? It has been many years since I have seen any cutting for violence here. Also, I wonder just how much could be there in a film rated PG-13 for sci-fi action/violence, some sexuality and brief language.
I suspect that the film itself was damaged or the theater was cutting it for length – a more common form of ‘censorship’ here.

I know theaters cut a lot for time, and that maybe is what they did or it could of just been a blip.

But the GIO has gone backwards. It seems they did made great strides in the 90s with regards to silly censorship. “Showgirls” and “Ready to Wear”, while not that great, were both shown with no cuts. But “Y Tu Mama Tambien”, a movie that was an international hit, was severely cut and basically flopped here because of it. The GIO is also trying to impose restrictions on the number of foreign films being shown here. But don’t just blame the people at the GIO, blame the ruling party – just check out this article out for a taste of their committment to expression and freedom of the media.
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arch … /03/200641

why is this in the flame forum - or is it because you want it to vanish really soon?

i saw the Xmen 2 last night as well. Didnt notice anything cut or jumps. saw it at warner village. everything seemed ok. which part of the movie are you referring to?
Thought the storyline was better developed than the first one. Thought Pyro would look different though (isn’t he part of the New Xmen or the young Xmen, I forget the name. Don’t remember him going to join Mephisto in the comics though)

I believe this may also have applied to the movie “Double Vision”, from which about 30 minutes was cut, as it was apparently deemed to be “too violent” for the Taiwan audience. Hopefully though, we’ll get to see the original version when the movie is released on DVD later this month. :wink:

Cheers,

The Big Babou

Maybe this is why they stopped broadcasting scenes of Legislators braining each other with their cell phones? :laughing:

And this topic really should be moved to the Culture Forum.

I put this in the flame forum as I know that Warner brother’s normally shows the full movie. It was a blatant cut as I didn’t get to see how Wolverine took care of a woman mutant with similiar abilities to his. I know he killed her, but not how or by what means. So I would diafree with your take wolf, nothing personal, but I was there.

As far as gov’t censorship, any Chinese gov’t gets really irate about any questioning of its policies or handling of issues. Taiwan does this all the time and all TV, radio, and newspapers are owned by political parties, their members or their die-hard supporters. Singapore has laws making it mandatory for any publication criticizing it to publish Singapore’s rebuttal. China, the CCP controls the media. Hong Kong seems to be the exception to the rule, but there have been questions since the 1997 handoff.

I put this in the flame forum as it was just a rant and had no real value.

I’ll be waiting for the DVD of most movies now. Seems they show a lot more and don’t cut them, though I could be wrong.

Okami

DVD’s often turn out cheaper too, after you buy 2 tickets, popcorn and drinks all round, you’re might as well buy the DVD, and you can watch it again, and you get extra stuff, and you don’t get mobile phone’s going off ot people talking, if they do you can slap them because it’s your house :smiling_imp:
We only go to Warner because we get free tickets from earning points on the credit card.
In the UK, films are sometimes censored a bit, A 1/2 second heatbutt was cut out Attack Of the Clones so it could be seen by under-12’s. But the censors (they call themselves ‘classifiers’ but the end result is the same, they say what can or cannot be shown) say to the company “come back when you’ve taken that bit out” and let the film company do it so there aren’t any horrible jumps.
Cinemas here did use to cut films so they could show it more often, I thought/hoped they stopped doing that.

Who moved my post??!!

Okami

I saw x-men II tonight and it seemed to be intact. The Wolfman guy does indeed kill Lady Metalfingers. He does it by injecting her with a bunch of molten lead that is laying around. He puts so much in her that it comes out of her eyeballs or else she cries metal because she is a robot and yet, ironically, is afraid of death. I’m not sure.
One thing I didn’t like about the movie is what they did to the wonder twins. Zan is just a regular kid that makes other things out of ice rather than turn himself into ice stuff. Jayna is still an alien but is no longer Zan’s twin sister. She turns into other people, but never turns into an eagle or gorilla or anything. Boring! The thing that pissed me off the most is the way they made Gleek into a talking, maori, catholic gorilla. Myself, I prefer plain ole blue monkeys. I was waithing at the end for Zan to save the day by saying, “form of an ice ark,” but I guess he couldn’t do that since his sister was off in the helicopter with Mephisto.

Jack Burton, I think Pyro used to be a member of the Fabulous Four where he was know as the “Flying Fire Guy” I don’t think he was a mutant or anything, just a guy on fire who flew. My suggestion is that you just sit back and enjoy the movie rather than be such a nitpicker.

I guess you weren’t flaming enough

[quote=“chainsmoker”]I saw x-men II tonight and it seemed to be intact. The Wolfman guy does indeed kill Lady Metalfingers. He does it by injecting her with a bunch of molten lead that is laying around. He puts so much in her that it comes out of her eyeballs or else she cries metal because she is a robot and yet, ironically, is afraid of death. I’m not sure.
Zan is just a regular kid that makes other things out of ice rather than turn himself into ice stuff. Jayna is still an alien but is no longer Zan’s twin sister. She turns into other people, but never turns into an eagle or gorilla or anything. Boring! The thing that pissed me off the most is the way they made Gleek into a talking, maori, catholic gorilla. Myself, I prefer plain ole blue monkeys. I was waithing at the end for Zan to save the day by saying, “form of an ice ark,” but I guess he couldn’t do that since his sister was off in the helicopter with Mephisto.

Jack Burton, I think Pyro used to be a member of the Fabulous Four where he was know as the “Flying Fire Guy” I don’t think he was a mutant or anything, just a guy on fire who flew. My suggestion is that you just sit back and enjoy the movie rather than be such a nitpicker.[/quote]

umm who’s calling whom a nitpicker? isn’t that what you did?
having said that, i think you got grossly confused or else we saw different movies.

1. The female-wolverine ie Lady Deathstrike is not a robot. Wolverine just injected so much adamantium liquid that it gushed out of her orifices.
  2. This is X-Men not the wonder twins/superfriends movie. The character Bobby (kid with ice) is the future ICEMAN. He does turn into ice too, but not until he is older. and i agree, i thought he might have frozen the floodwater. And that was NOT his sister in the copter. ahem… they are girl friend and boyfriend or did the theatre cut out the part where they made out. BTW, she is Rogue.
  3. Pyro is from the New Mutants or Xmen Evolution (i forget which and actually that was my ORIGINAL QUESTION, not a nitpicking). As opposed to the TORCH from the FAB FOUR.
  4. Gleek? Hello? this is XMEN. The blue guy is NOT MAORI!!!. He is Nightcrawler, a GERMAN mutant who can teleport. Dude, what the *&^%$ planet are you from?
  5. the changeling is MYSTIQUE, who also happens to be the foster mother of ROGUE. (a leader of Freedom Force or something)
    6)FYI, the guy who turned to metal was Colossus, a Russian, but w/o a russian accent in the movie.

anyways, i did enjoy the movie. like i said, i enjoyed it more than the first one.

Get your story straight b4 you criticize others (although I can see you are not familiar with the XMEN from your post though you do seem to know your SUPERFRIENDS real well).

I don’t understand how you could think that Bobby is sister to Rogue. If he is called Bobby in the movie, why did you mistake him for Zan. and the monkey, how do you confuse a monkey named Gleek with a MAN who is called Nightcrawler and introduces himself with a German Name… I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic, or just really mistaken.

I am confused by your post. :shock:

Ohhhh. Your interpretation makes a lot more sense than mine. I think I like the movie now. Okay, maybe the blue guy wasn’t supposed to be Gleek the monkey, but how can he be a German Maori? I didn’t know there was such a thing.

You have to admit. It was an honest mistake. I mean come on!

BTW. Pyro was a member of Freedom Force. He had blonde hair and a flamethrower attached to his back that emitted flame from the wrists. :wink:

Pyro

I saw the film at the theater near the Shihlin Night market and there something cut. If you have not seen the movie, maybe you don’t want to read on…
I saw the girl fall out of the plane and then the blue devil guy to after her…cut to them somehow back in the plane.
Also, the movie almost ended with a pan close to the water with a pattern starting to show and then, WHAM, the credits start.
Did I miss anything?

the things you mention are deliberate.

(but the first maybe poor editing). Nightcrawler is a teleporter, so this part is intentional. he is supposed to have teleported out of the plane, grabbed the girl, then teleport back into the plane. that may be why it seemed “choppy” to you. Recall his attempted assassination scene.

The ending…it’s a hint of things to come, the pattern forming suggests that Jean Grey may not really be dead. IMHO that was also deliberate… kinda leaves you hanging…

Looks like the kind of movie where they should have left the whole thing on the cutting room floor.

I intimated the things you suggest, but the copy I saw was too stilted in these two areas to have been intentional.
By the way, in some scenes the film was definitely out of focus, but the Chinese subtitles were crisp. In this day and age how does one come to get a print that is out of focus?

This is just the kind of shite that Blockbuster and other vid chains buy BY the boxload to fill their shelves, at great cost to low-budget cinema worthy of being called film.

Funny,

that “damn GIO” has changed the initial title of the thread.
At least that nicely done, I bet not many people saw that one!

Frederic