X-Men: Dark Phoenix

This is the next comic book movie after Avengers: Endgame. It comes out in Taiwan on June 6. Who’s excited about this movie? Who could care less?

I’m pretty sure I’m going to miss it in the theater. They played the trailer before Avengers: Endgame, and I could not have been less excited about what I saw.

Ding ding.

Days of Future Past was good-ish, but Apocalypse blew, and the production behind this latest one is very troubled by reports; lots of unhappy test screenings, extensive reshoots (including the ending), on-set and off-set drama, etc. That never bodes well for a movie.

Not trying to derail, but that was by far the best X-Men movie for me and I thought it was great.

It was pretty great. No X-film is better than ‘Logan’ though. That to me was the second best comic book movie after ‘The Dark Knight.’

1 Like

I don’t have high expectations for it, but I am curious to see what they do with it.

I have pretty low expectations for the X-Men movies, particularly the more recent ones. Logan was dope. Deadpool’s been fun. X-Men though? Feels like a mess. I’ve never liked Sansa Stark as Jean Grey so I don’t know how excited I am about a movie centered around her.

I can’t wait for Kevin Feige to get his hands on the X-Men.

EDIT: All that being said, I’m probably front-and-center on day 1.

That GOT actress as Jean Grey is the real weak point of the movie for me. Nothing she did in Apocalypse was even remotely memorable, and somehow now she’s supposed to carry a whole movie. Simon Kinberg helming his first big budget movie is also not a good sign.

Yeah, I hate to be an RT snob, but I don’t see this film getting rated “fresh.” It’ll probably be a dog like Last Stand or Wolverine Origins.

Most likely. I was kind of looking forward to New Mutants, but that movie seems to be in limbo right now.

New Mutants is coming out in August.

Finally has a Taiwan release date? Good to know.

New Mutants could be interesting but it was also supposed to go through extensive reshoots that haven’t even taken place yet. Disney have said they’re releasing it still so maybe they’ll do it as is.

August isn’t far away. I’m mostly looking forward to it because I loved those comics as a kid.

Hey, you too @TimesThree ? My older brother got me into them when I was a real little kid… great characters… Warlock, Sunspot, Magik, Wolfsbane, and all led by a reformed Magneto… ah, I’m really showing my geek roots now. :flushed: They were great. I think they still hold up. Of course the series went to crap near the end when Rob Liefeld took over and ushered in the 90s with all its excess and faux extreme… ness (what’s the noun form of “extreme”?).

To be honest, I don’t have high hopes for anything based on that old property though. Would love to be wrong though.

Think the word you’re looking for is “extremity,” but I’ve heard that era referred to as “90s extreme” many times. Ah, the pouches, shoulder pads, mullets and gun belts of yesteryear. And feet? What self-respecting comic book character needs proper feet to stand on anyway?

Yeah those are the exact comic books I was talking about. Not that the movie is likely to be awesome whatever they do.

1 Like

So… apparently somehow people stopped talking about this movie. Perhaps because all of the negative reviews out there swayed people from watching it?

I went to see it anyway, mainly because of my love for First Class. I though Apocalypse was crap, but thought this one can’t be any worse.

I came out of the theater pretty satisfied actually. I went in after reading about the stuggles between Disney and Fox in background. Having that knowledge and knowing they planned to have skrulls in there really helped. That’s probably the one thing the adjusted version didn’t do really well, they didn’t bother to explain who the villains were and where they came from.

Although the movie isn’t really about the villains. It’s about Jean struggling with her upbringing and guilt. I think that’s the core of the story and it’s wonderfully done.

All the fights are pretty amazing by the way. The only thing that takes me out is that Magneto seems to be invincible, cause no matter how hard he gets smashed, he would always get back up. The dude can control metal, but he’s no Wolverine you know…

The pacing of the movie is incredibly intense. I really had a blast. It isn’t as well made as First Class, but it certainly way beteer than Last Stand, the previous attempt at the Dark Phoenix saga. It also is at least as good as Days of Future Past.

There isn’t a lot of the more comedic or light hearted scenes in this movie that made First Class and Days of Future Past so great. So I get why people would complain about that. Though since it is so intense from the very beginning of the movie, I don’t think there’s a place for that tone in this movie.

Did I mention Magneto kicks ass? If this turns out to be the last movie for this version of Xavier and Erik, I’m gonna be pretty sad. I wouldn’t feel that way if Apocalypse ended up being the last of this iteration, but this one doesn’t deserve such a bad rap.

I think we have very similar taste in movies. Very good taste.

1 Like

That is indeed what happened in my case.

I think it’s funny that Magneto stays a 30ish year old Michael Fassbender from 1962 to 1992, and then in 8 years he suddenly ages into an 80ish year old Sir Ian McKellen by 2000. The 1990s were very stressful for mutants, I guess…

I have no interest in this film, personally. Sophie Turner annoys me, and from the trailers I’ve seen the villain antagonist played by Jessica Chastain looks super-generic and dull. I also thought Apocalypse was pretty bad, but at least the villain had a memorable look… not a great look, but memorable. Furthermore, the plots just seem like pale retreads of previous iterations, and I’m not just talking the Phoenix stuff… I mean, all the story beats. The X-franchise would’ve gone out on a high note if it ended with the two-punch combo of ‘Days of Future Past’ and ‘Logan’, imo. But this just seems like it’s treading water…