Xenophobia in Taiwan/China survey

Hi all! I am currently doing a survey on experiences of xenophobia while living in China or Taiwan. I realize Taiwan and China are very, very different places. But for convenience it is just one survey. If you would like to expand upon the differences, please feel free.

I am planning on writing an essay on the topic but first wanted to hear your insights and think over it all before writing anything. I am also just very, very curious to learn about the view points of foreigners. What common experiences are there? Why? It’s not long: only 7 questions. It is also anonymous. I may be sharing the responses with friends and others, and may be posting results in places on the internet.

Thanks for participating.

surveymonkey.com/s/LDVWP3C

I think you may find more posters on here who have Xerophobia… :lick:
I will have a go at the survey

You might want to adapt your survey a little bit towards the “specialness” of Taiwan. For instance, ask which country the subject is from and what his/her skin colour is. There is actually a kind of positive discrimination (at least superficially) in Taiwan towards white foreigners, it’s kind of difficult to describe what that is like unless you have been to Taiwan. Dark-skinned people- blacks, Southeast Asians etc. will experience more of the kind of classic xenophobia that your survey appears to be aimed at currently.

There’s also an issue called micro-aggressions which was debated very hotly on this forum before, which some people think is complete tosh, and others believe actually exists.

My point is that the situation in Taiwan is more complex than your survey currently allows for, so if you want to get a realistic view then you would need to adapt it a little.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”]You might want to adapt your survey a little bit towards the “specialness” of Taiwan. For instance, ask which country the subject is from and what his/her skin colour is. There is actually a kind of positive discriminatation (at least superficially) in Taiwan towards white foreigners, it’s kind of difficult to describe what that is like unless you have been to Taiwan. Dark-skinned people- blacks, Southeast Asians etc. will experience more of the kind of classic xenophobia that your survey appears to be aimed at currently.

There’s also an issue called micro-aggressions which was debated very hotly on this forum before, which some people think is complete tosh, and others believe actually exists.

My point is that the situation in Taiwan is more complex than your survey currently allows for, so if you want to get a realistic view then you would need to adapt it a little.[/quote]

^This

Do you intend to mix the results together as well? Like saying “x% foreigners did encounter xenophobia in China/Taiwan”? Would not make any sense, but the survey surely gives this impression. Which is why I chose not to take part.

Please see my suggestions for other great surveys as below:

The political system of China/Taiwan: Are you satisfied with elections/human rights?
Pollution in Beijng/Taipei
Traffic in Beijing/Taipei

Or this:

Standard of Living in Cambodia/Switzerland

done.

Ya’ll, this is not meant to be scientific or thorough, as I said. It’s for personal use. I’d like some insights based on these questions. …I just KNEW posting here on Forumosa would get a bunch of negativity. :unamused:

Well, yeah, no rocket science, I have to admit. :smiley:
And a very logical reaction… [insert tongue-out icon here]

Why be a negative Nancy when you can be a positive Paula!? :slight_smile:

Or a logical Lilly.
A sane Sybil.
A reasonable Rachel.
A wise Winona.

[quote=“bob_honest”]Or a logical Lilly.
A sane Sybil.
A reasonable Rachel.
A wise Winona.[/quote]

Ooo I am all of those things! My name is getting pretty long: Paula Lilly Sybil Rachel Winona. Really, that is quite the name!

It’s just that my experiences of Taiwan and China were completely different, with regards to your questions. If you are Likert scaling something that might have a positive and negative answer to the same question, then people will just put something in the middle, or respond about what they remembered first. Either way, you data will be mush. Is this for university?

If you just want anecdotes, there are tons of threads.

Is there some private PM’s going on here that I don’t see? What negative comments? I don’t see any insults? I just see some corrections and suggestions.
For goodness sakes, if someone doesn’ t agree with your original hypothesis, or experiencing things first hand that you are surveying… listen. It may change your ideas or broaden your mind. And if it is total crap what people are saying… ingore them.

So how is your Cambodia-Switzerland survey going? A lot of things Phnom Pei and Basel have in common I am sure… :stuck_out_tongue: :discodance:

A belated welcome to the Grumpster, Jialin.

The Grumpster is somewhat like a dumpster, but with two main differences:

(1) People aren’t usually dumped into the Grumpster; rather, they seem to stumble into it somehow.

(2) The Grumpster somewhat resembles a garbage truck, in that while it isn’t mobile, it does contain a compacting device. Now, this compacting device is an old, crinkum-crankumy sort of thing, and is therefore often slow to kick in, so its victims are frequently lulled into a false sense of security, then taken by surprise and mauled. Some of them escape in time to avoid serious injury, but an unfortunate few are mercilessly crushed.

I’m a long-term resident of the Grumpster and have thus acquired a perverse kind of allegiance to it over the years (“My Grumpster, Right or Wrong!”). So I hope you will forgive me (it’s nothing personal–I’m just doing my duty as a Grumpsterite (Grumpsterer? Grumpsterian? Grumpsterese?)) for adding my voice to our sacred Grumpster ritual:

You’re doing it all wrong!
Etc.

Yeah Okay, but we should let him have the last word. Just the OP closing with something witty and smart and then we silently leave this alone.

I was just kidding. And besides, the grumping in this thread is ultralight grumping.