Xinbei City?

[quote=“scomargo”]What I want to know is how are addresses in Taipei County going to be written under the Xinbei City system?

Current Sytem: 台北縣中和市… (Taipei County, Zhonghe City…)
New System: 新北市中和市…? (Xinbei City, Zhonghe City…)?

I don’t see any way around that because different cities within Taipei County use the same names for different streets. However, it looks strange to call your address New Taipei City, Zhonghe City… A city within a city. How many levels of nested cities can you go up to? As if that wasn’t enough, Xinbei City will completely surround Taipei City.[/quote]

The 市 should become 區, but they were resisting this as it would be a downgrading. Not sure what solution they found in the end.

It’s not hard if your thinking is not too rigid.

The City of London, or the City of Westminster are ‘cities’ within Greater London (London Boroughs). Hove(actually) is part of the city of Brighton and Hove, albeit the more upstanding end of town. Parishes can exist within towns that absorb them, within cities that have absorbed them.

Not all addresses have to follow the same formula, do they? Maybe, Chinese nomenclature and ideas of status are that rigid.

Why not just ZhongHe, XinBei City (or vice versa). ZhongHe is an area (or is that an Area?) of XinBei city.

by doing so, I think the government could easily pocket in another few dollars of cash~
signs to be changed, booklets handed out, new zoning, new address plates…

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“scomargo”]What I want to know is how are addresses in Taipei County going to be written under the Xinbei City system?

Current Sytem: 台北縣中和市… (Taipei County, Zhonghe City…)
New System: 新北市中和市…? (Xinbei City, Zhonghe City…)?

I don’t see any way around that because different cities within Taipei County use the same names for different streets. However, it looks strange to call your address New Taipei City, Zhonghe City… A city within a city. How many levels of nested cities can you go up to? As if that wasn’t enough, Xinbei City will completely surround Taipei City.[/quote]

The 市 should become 區, but they were resisting this as it would be a downgrading. Not sure what solution they found in the end.[/quote]
I called the gov’t’s IFF (Information For Foreigners) hotline and asked. All the cities of Taipei COunty will become Qu (區). And today in the mail we got a booklet from the Taipei County Government - the English being used is “New Taipei City” not Xinbei City. God, it sounds so SPP!

Yes, let’s fight for Xinbei City. New Taipei City is also horribly confusing.

funkykev100:

[color=#0000BF]“by doing so, I think the government could easily pocket in another few dollars of cash~
signs to be changed, booklets handed out, new zoning, new address plates …
”[/color]

I think you’re really onto something here with what it’s all about … on one level anyway.

There’ll be quite a lot of newly empty office space up for rent, as well.

If a single ‘mayor’ is to lead what’s been known up until now as Taipei County, others look to be out of a job. Please correct me … someone … if I’m wrong.

[color=#004040]world’s biggest area city[/color]

[quote=“mallard”]If a single ‘mayor’ is to lead what’s been known up until now as Taipei County, others look to be out of a job. Please correct me … someone … if I’m wrong.[/quote]I think you’re wrong. Taipei County has a County Chief or County Magistrate (縣長; xiànzhǎng) right now - an empty suit called Chou Hsi-wei - his job will be converted into the Mayoralty of this new city and get a bump in status. The mayors of the individual cities will become District Chiefs (or whatever English they come up with) - in Chinese 區長 (qūzhǎng). In administrative terms, it’s a rebranding. However, as the new city will become a directly-controlled municipality under the ROC government, it can access more funds - there is currently a huge gulf between Taipei City and County in terms of per citizen government cash available - much more than is accounted for by greater per capita tax revenue in Taipei City and expenditure on ROC central government admin/projects. The key to this whole restructuring, as with so much in politics, is money.

Thanks for that poignant clarification.

[color=#004000]friendly off-shore linguistic skills advisor[/color]

If India can handle Delhi and New Delhi, I think Taiwan can handle Taipei and New Taipei…

Ok, what I want to know is, how about:

-taxes
-garbage fees
-utility fees

Don’t tell they’ll be charging the county the same as the city. If so, I’ll move to Taoyuan…

You will be triple charged because you’ll be a citizen, not an countyzen any more…

[quote=“Icon”]Ok, what I want to know is, how about:

-taxes
-garbage fees
-utility fees

Don’t tell they’ll be charging the county the same as the city. If so, I’ll move to Taoyuan…[/quote]

What do you think Ma the incompetent will do?
No need to ask!!

Loo-ee the thirteenth, Ma the Incompetent, Chen the thief, LIen the wifebeater, Lee the Japanophile, what other cute names we got?

Hey member when Taipei city used to not include shihlin, neihu, tienmou, shihpai, tanshui, etc? And in even earlier times didnt include bangka or chientan?? Now every one of those places are part of Taipei City?

Heck Taoyuan city seems soon to be part of Taipei city too after Banchiao gets swallowed up.

Is Yungho now considered part of Taipei city too?

Eventually NewTAipei will be the northern 1/5 of the island and will be all one city.

let us just make one Chinese Taipei, and everyone living inside is living in a big city, and not a country anymore…

Hey that kinda makes (too much) sense . :smiley:

Shi Lin et al became part of Taipei City in 1968. So I don’t think many of us remember it not being part of Taipei.

No.

No way the powers that be in Taipei City will allow their city to be merged with those rabble across the river. Might end up with a DPP mayor that way.

Well whenever those places became officially Taipei City, I should think the locals still refer to those places individually? LIke they would say “oh im going to tienmou to…” “going to a shop in shihlin” , etc.

Old thread, but I just caught on to this Xinbei City bit.

Frankly I think it is absurd to name a county city. Doesn’t make sense.

Where I’m from there’s the city of Los Angeles which is in Los Angeles county. It’s
a very simple concept. Within the boundaries of Los Angeles county there are
many cities, villages and towns one of which is the city of L.A.

In this case of Hsin Pei (wade-giles to the end) the geniuses have decided that
from the air it looks like one big city! So let’s call it a New Bei!

And if you’re going to go with “New” it should be New Taipei. But that would
be 3 syllables… lol…

Anyhow…I’ve been here over twenty years, I’ll get over it. :bow:

-sf

And I think it’s absurd to speak of “counties” which have no counts.

If they all combine with Taipei, we could call it Megacity Ninety-Four-and-a-Half.

The new name is dumb, they should have gone with something else.