XP and multiple internet gateways

I have XP on my notebook and an annoying little problem. At the office we have fulltime internet access via ethernet. In other words I just plug in the ethernet cable and I have access. At home we have ADSL via PPPoE. I have to install a connection and give it my username and password.
My problem is that once this is installed, when I go to work I have a dialog box pop up every 15 minutes or so that wants to dial up to the ADSL connection at home. I cannot just ignore this since while that box is open I cannot access the internet via our office ethernet connection. Some days it’s so bad I have to uninstall that gateway to get any work done. Other days it’s not so bad. I guess it has something to do with the stability of the connection in the office.

Anyway, how do I stop XP trying to ‘help’ me?

[quote=“redwagon”]I have XP on my notebook and an annoying little problem. At the office we have fulltime internet access via ethernet. In other words I just plug in the ethernet cable and I have access. At home we have ADSL via PPPoE. I have to install a connection and give it my username and password.
My problem is that once this is installed, when I go to work I have a dialog box pop up every 15 minutes or so that wants to dial up to the ADSL connection at home. I cannot just ignore this since while that box is open I cannot access the internet via our office ethernet connection. Some days it’s so bad I have to uninstall that gateway to get any work done. Other days it’s not so bad. I guess it has something to do with the stability of the connection in the office.

Anyway, how do I stop XP trying to ‘help’ me?[/quote]

Redwagon, easiest way is to install a router between your notebook and the ADSL modem supplied by your ISP. The router will hold the username and password and if it is set to have permanent connection then all you need to do is connect your notebook to it by ethernet cable the same as you do in the office. With that in place you can then remove the dial up connection you have currently got set up and your problem disappears.

[quote=“Traveller”][quote=“redwagon”]I have XP on my notebook and an annoying little problem. At the office we have fulltime internet access via ethernet. In other words I just plug in the ethernet cable and I have access. At home we have ADSL via PPPoE. I have to install a connection and give it my username and password.

Redwagon, easiest way is to install a router between your notebook and the ADSL modem supplied by your ISP. The router will hold the username and password and if it is set to have permanent connection then all you need to do is connect your notebook to it by ethernet cable the same as you do in the office. With that in place you can then remove the dial up connection you have currently got set up and your problem disappears.[/quote]
And of course, you can get wireless…

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“Traveller”][quote=“redwagon”]I have XP on my notebook and an annoying little problem. At the office we have fulltime internet access via ethernet. In other words I just plug in the ethernet cable and I have access. At home we have ADSL via PPPoE. I have to install a connection and give it my username and password.

Redwagon, easiest way is to install a router between your notebook and the ADSL modem supplied by your ISP. The router will hold the username and password and if it is set to have permanent connection then all you need to do is connect your notebook to it by ethernet cable the same as you do in the office. With that in place you can then remove the dial up connection you have currently got set up and your problem disappears.[/quote]
And of course, you can get wireless…[/quote]

Indeed you could, but as router administration should never be done over wireless connections and the OP is already used to just plugigng in his cable seemed the more logical method, plus it is still quicker and more reliable than wireless. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. I have a router on the way. It’s just a pain in the ass until it arrives. You would think there would be a way to turn this ‘service’ off, but no, Windows just has to ‘help’… :unamused:

I don’t think you need any hardware (the ADSL modem usually is a router), I use the same config and don’t have any messages popping up.

How did you create the PPPoE? Does it show under Dial-Up or Broadband in your Network Connections?

Or maybe the pop-up window is actually caused by IE, check the settings under Tools/Internet Options/Connections - choose “Never dial a connection” if something else is selected.

[quote=“Rascal”]I don’t think you need any hardware (the ADSL modem usually is a router), I use the same config and don’t have any messages popping up.

How did you create the PPPoE? Does it show under Dial-Up or Broadband in your Network Connections?[/quote]
No, my DSU is not a router. It has just the one RJ45 socket.

I open up ‘Network Connections’, click ‘Create a new connection’. Then there’s a ‘wizard’ to create the connection, I choose ‘Connect to the internet’, to do that manually, and then ‘Connect to a broadband connection that requires a user name and password’. Then I give the connection a name, enter the user name and password, and it’s done. The new connection then shows up in the list as a broadband connection.

That’s sufficient for a router since it just connects two different IP networks; one side is your ISP (ADSL), the other side your LAN (RJ45 socket).

If you want to connect more than one PC you need a switch or hub, not a router, though note that there are devices which may have more than one function. Sometimes the names are used in a more general meaning, causing a bit of confustion.

Hm, same here but check this: In the properties of the connection you created click on Advanced and disable the Internet Connection Sharing if it’s active.

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“redwagon”]
If you want to connect more than one PC you need a switch or hub, not a router, though note that there are devices which may have more than one function. Sometimes the names are used in a more general meaning, causing a bit of confustion.
[/quote]No, no confusion. I know the difference between a hub and a router. :wink:

I checked that. Sharing is off. So is redialling on dropped connection.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply you were confused.

Ok. Did you also check the settings in IE (see above)?

Internet Explorer? I never use it. Firefox all the way. :sunglasses: And, FF is not the only application that will try to dial-up. Skype will try, Outlook will try. Whatever app I’m running that wants to use the internet will try. Lots of popping windows.

Can’t you just disable the connection you don’t use?

In my Network Connection, I have 2 Broadband (PPPOE), 4 Dial-up, two LAN and several wireless defined. I just enable what I need, the most frequently used ones via a shortcut on the desktop, works just fine!

[quote=“Shiner”]Can’t you just disable the connection you don’t use?

In my Network Connection, I have 2 Broadband (PPPOE), 4 Dial-up, two LAN and several wireless defined. I just enable what I need, the most frequently used ones via a shortcut on the desktop, works just fine![/quote]
The connections under the category of LAN and wireless connections when right-clicked have the option of ‘disable’. The broadband connection does not. The only way I found so far to stop that damn window from popping up is to delete the connection entirely.

Hi redwagon, when you make the new pppoe connection, during the setup process, there is an option labelled “Make this the default Internet connection” (it’s on the window entitled “Internet Account Information” (last step before finishing setup).

Try re-doing the pppoe connection, but make sure this option is unchecked.

[quote=“irishstu”]Hi redwagon, when you make the new pppoe connection, during the setup process, there is an option labelled “Make this the default Internet connection” (it’s on the window entitled “Internet Account Information” (last step before finishing setup).

Try re-doing the pppoe connection, but make sure this option is unchecked.[/quote]
Did that the first time around, makes no difference.

Is now a good time to mention that Windows smells?

[quote=“redwagon”]

Is now a good time to mention that Windows smells?[/quote]

Yes. This is a weird one though, because I have done this exact same setup many times without any problems (pppoe in one place and normal dhcp at another (same laptop)).

Never given me a problem like this.

OK… try this:

Double-click on your ADSL connection, like you’re about to connect to internet through it.

Then instead of clicking “Connect”, click on “Properties”.

Now click on the “Options” tab at the top.

You will see some options in there that might be worth playing with.

Thanks, but tried all those settings already. Still no go. I have a router sitting here now. Hopefully that will fix this stupid problem.

Redwagon,

FWIW I had the same problem a while ago when I set up a new connection for a notebook to connect to the modem directly by hardwire(bypassing the router) for doing dodgy torrent stuff.
When I then then connected back to the wireless via the router, I was getting that damn connection dialog popping up. I tried a bunch of stuff but in the end I deleted that connection.

It is a PITA.

Another idea to try would be to see if you can find a 3rd party connection manager utility.

My router showed up so I use that at home now. Problem avoided, if not solved. Thanks all!