XP support ending--move to Linux?

:slight_smile:

One tip - defragment your hard drive from Windows before messing with your partitions. This is not to say itā€™s essential to do so, but merely to suggest that it would be a damn good idea.

This is a good strategy - keep Windows on C, get rid of D. Itā€™s best if you use the Windows administrative tools to do that before installing Linux. True, you can do it all with a Linux installation disk, but then first time you try to boot Windows itā€™s going to give you all kinds of scary alarms about a missing drive, boot into safe mode and fix things, etc. Youā€™ll avoid that trauma if you first use Windows tools to eliminate D. If you do that, Windows wonā€™t see anything unusual after Linux is installed.

Once youā€™ve eliminated D and rebooted Windows a couple of times to make there are no issues, you can proceed to install Linux. Be sure to select manual partitioning - in the Ubuntu installer, that means clicking on the ā€œSomething Elseā€ dialog rather than accepting the default partitioning scheme. In the blank space that should now exist after you nuked D with Windows tools, you can create the Linux partitions you need. Since youā€™ve got 112GB to play with, you probably want to give one GB to swap, at least 10GB for / (root partition), and the rest for /home. The use of a /home partition is optional - as already pointed out - but itā€™s not a bad idea.

Thanks, thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m in the process of doing. Clearing up some free space and backing up

I formatted a usb key last week to install Linuxā€¦ then installed it from a DVD. Now I canā€™t reformat (in Windoze) the bl**dy thing. Not sure what to doā€¦ any tips? The usual Win Format tools donā€™t seem to work. Do I have to use Linux to reformat that?

Are you talking about your USP stick?
You most likely can mount it with the EXt2FsD tool within windows. http://www.ext2fsd.com/
Windows canā€™t see Linux partitions and even has problems with disks formated within linux.

You can also use the diskutility in Linux unmout the stick and then reformate it to fat32.
After that try in windows.

ilikecoffee, these instructions are for Windows XP. If you have a different version, youā€™d have to go about this slightly differently.

Go to the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management (on the left)
At the bottom, look for your USB drive (make sure you donā€™t choose the wrong drive!) Ideally, you can right-click on the long horizontal bar to the right and format, but you may have to ā€œDelete Partitionā€ first, then format.

Got the partitions set up and installed Mint. So far so good

Congratulations!

Is everything working properly?
Do you still have your windows?

Thanks! Seems good so far. Should still have Windows. Havenā€™t tried booting it yet. I did the ā€œSomething Elseā€ installation.

If grub offers you the windows boot option on startup, then, itā€™s still there and should work.
Enjoy your fresh install.

If you can see the prtition in your file manager, all the files should be there.

file manager, check. new operating system, big fun eh

yep files still there.

hmmm I have a nvidia graphics card, seem to be having a ā€œscreen tearingā€ issue. If thatā€™s what it is. Kind of bands of light lines rolling up and down in the background.

Did you activate the proprietary driver (Additional drivers)?

Settings, Additional Drivers, wait till it scanned your system then click on th one that is recommended for your NVIDIA.

By the way, if you use clonezilla or redo recovery, you could backup your whole disk as it is right now,
Including windows, linux and the way itā€™s configured right now.
When something goes wrong, you are back to this state in no time.

[quote=ā€œTempo Gainā€]file manager, check. new operating system, big fun eh

yep files still there.[/quote]

Congratulations. Just want to let you know that - besides whatā€™s already installed by default - there are a few thousand Linux applications out there, some of which are very useful. At the moment, Iā€™ve just started playing with Krita, which is like Gimp but Iā€™m finding it works better with Chinese input - Iā€™m designing name cards at the moment, so thatā€™s useful.

cheers,
DB

[quote=ā€œDogā€™s_Breakfastā€][quote=ā€œTempo Gainā€]file manager, check. new operating system, big fun eh

Congratulations. Just want to let you know that - besides whatā€™s already installed by default - there are a few thousand Linux applications out there, some of which are very useful. At the moment, Iā€™ve just started playing with Krita, which is like Gimp but Iā€™m finding it works better with Chinese input - Iā€™m designing name cards at the moment, so thatā€™s useful.

cheers,
DB[/quote]

For name cards, you might want to try Inkscape. Itā€™s vector-based, so you donā€™t have problems when printing.

[quote=ā€œDogā€™s_Breakfastā€]At the moment, Iā€™ve just started playing with Krita, which is like Gimp but Iā€™m finding it works better with Chinese input - Iā€™m designing name cards at the moment, so thatā€™s useful.
[/quote]

Now that Iā€™ve firmly put my foot in my mouth, I have to retract it. I discovered that Gimp works fine with Chinese input. What happened was that I accidentally installed Googlepinyin instead of plain old ordinary Chinese pinyin. Googlepinyin was driving me crazy and I mistakenly blamed Gimp for the problem, so my bad.

[quote=ā€œBlaquesmithā€]
For name cards, you might want to try Inkscape. Itā€™s vector-based, so you donā€™t have problems when printing.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. I might give Inkscape a try sometime, but itā€™s yet another program to learn. Iā€™m very familiar with Gimp because I do a lot of photo editing. Actually, Iā€™m not designing namecards from the bottom up - my artistic skills are pretty lousy. I just take a photo for the namecard background and then use Gimp to place text on the photo. The fact that Gimp does ā€œlayersā€ is really handy for that - very easy to move the text around, change the font, size and color, etc.

cheers,
DB

Tempo, is your computer a laptop with an optimus video card? if so, then run these commands in a terminal

sudo apt-get purge bumblebee* sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime

if you have a desktop then run these commands

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

[quote=ā€œBlaquesmithā€][quote=ā€œDogā€™s_Breakfastā€][quote=ā€œTempo Gainā€]file manager, check. new operating system, big fun eh

cheers,
DB[/quote]

For name cards, you might want to try Inkscape. Itā€™s vector-based, so you donā€™t have problems when printing.[/quote]
You also might want to take a look at gLabels for printing them out.

Thanks for all the help guys! PC with nvidia card. Will install that driver in a bit and see how it goes. Hope to get sound card driver as well.

No sound?
If you are on Lubuntu click that speaker Icon in the right lower corner and play with those settings.
I always had to turn the audio up or on before hearing anything.
Or open the terminal and type alsamixer.

Youā€™ll see something like this where you can turn up the values.