Ya ! I'm officially a writer

Indeed, especially when you deduct the transport time for teaching, or any job really. And the joy of working in your houserobe on a chilly morning just can’t be said enough times.[/quote]

You travel around Taiwan in your houserobe? Is that the LP uniform?[/quote]

Pretty much. A houserobe or a hoodie. Both if you really want to show class.

[quote=“jdsmith”]would you oDesk oldtimers be willing to write up a bit on how the site works and how to use it?

It’s interesting, but how does one build a portfolio, starting from scratch and all?[/quote]

On odesk you are likely to earn $10-$15 an hour unless you have professional writing experience or marketing experience. One former journalist I saw on the site makes $25 an hour. Some technical writers earn $25 and up. The jobs other contractors have worked is public knowledge. They cannot be hidden.

I currently work using the site full time while I am living in Costa Rica.

Actually, I think it would be perfect to mix with an afternoon buxiban job.

If I don’t make it back to the U.S., I may work at a university in China while working on odesk 20 hours a week.

One could work fours hours a day in the morning on one of these freelance sites before working at a buxiban in the afternoon.

Sounds like a good mix. Kudos to you for making people aware of the opportunities out there. :thumbsup:

Good job.

I remember the first time someone came up to me, asking me for my opinion on some bit of Israeli English. And, I just looked at her with this puzzled expression.

“But, John, you’re a professional writer,” she said.

That set me back a bit. Writing computer manuals for money is professional writing?

But, I guess that it is.

Welcome to the club. May you put fewer people to sleep than I do.

Do you have to live in Taiwan to work for Odesk? I can’t imagine you would, but people were asking about permits, etc. so. . .

I wrote some articles for one of those junior high school English magazines once. The editors pretty much rewrote them though, so I wouldn’t even say they’re really mine. The funny thing is that at least one has appeared on numerous blogs. It’s basically just been ripped off straight from the magazine. I don’t think I’d call myself a writer (or an ex-writer) based upon those articles that I wrote.

Nope, but you would need an ARC/JFRV/APRC to live in Taiwan.

Oh I see now, stupid of me. :doh:

Just thought I would post an update on my writing career.

I’m doing fairly well and my hourly rate is now up to around NT$500 - NT$700. I could probably do more writing than I do but I’m trying to find a balance between writing, family and teaching English.

I’m not ready to give up teaching English yet because I need the safety net of a guaranteed income. I’m probably averaging around $25-30,000 dollars a month now which is not too bad.

The one thing that I’ve noticed is the work never seems to stop. I’m either writing for clients or trying to find new clients. It would be nice to find some sort of permanent job but no luck so far. It still takes a fair amount of time to find decent paying jobs but they are out there.

I’ve been able to write on a variety of topics so, for the most part, things stay interesting. I’ve written articles related to history, philosophy, psychology, law, business, finance and even medicine.

Some of the articles can be a bit boring to write but others are fairly interesting. I’ve picked up my writing speed as well which helps make fixed price jobs pay better.

Anyway, for all those people who have thought about getting into something like this, it can be done. It just takes a little perseverence.

[quote=“Gilgamesh”]Just thought I would post an update on my writing career.

I’m doing fairly well and my hourly rate is now up to around NT$500 - NT$700. I could probably do more writing than I do but I’m trying to find a balance between writing, family and teaching English.

I’m not ready to give up teaching English yet because I need the safety net of a guaranteed income. I’m probably averaging around $25-30,000 dollars a month now which is not too bad.

The one thing that I’ve noticed is the work never seems to stop. I’m either writing for clients or trying to find new clients. It would be nice to find some sort of permanent job but no luck so far. It still takes a fair amount of time to find decent paying jobs but they are out there.

I’ve been able to write on a variety of topics so, for the most part, things stay interesting. I’ve written articles related to history, philosophy, psychology, law, business, finance and even medicine.

Some of the articles can be a bit boring to write but others are fairly interesting. I’ve picked up my writing speed as well which helps make fixed price jobs pay better.

Anyway, for all those people who have thought about getting into something like this, it can be done. It just takes a little perseverence.[/quote]

Thanks for the update, it would be nice to make a little bit of extra cash.

Sounds great Gilgamesh!
Thanks for hearing a successstory every once in a while :slight_smile:

Agreed. Thanks, Gilgamesh. It sure would be nice to save an extra 20-30k a month!! :thumbsup:

I have been doing it for a year and make 60,000 NT a month. I could earn more, but I really can’t stare at a computer more than 8 hours a day.