Yammie Super Tenere vs. R1200GS

Yamaha has found its Paris/Dakar DNA, pre-KTM era, and put BMW R1200GS buyers’ purses into the XT1200Z targeting system. The Super Tenere is a real dual sport, like the GS, not a pretend dual sport, like the Strom or Ulysses (R.I.P).

Check out the specs and the reviews … I think Yamaha has done again a feat like that in Sport Touring with the FJR1300. Changed the game, and the “5 star” threshold.

The Super Tenere is now my “perfect 'wan moto”… if it is ever sold in the 'wan.

Maunaloa, hi,
I don’t ride in Taiwan, only UK and southern Europe.
Yes, the Tenere looks good, but at 60 kilos heavier and the same power as the 1200GS, I cannot see where the upside is, except cost.
I am not sure what you mean about the FJR. You don’t see that many of them on the European tours, and their riders complain about the seat, the windscreen and a few other niggles. It is powerful though, but strangely it cannot keep up with most of the larger engined BMWs including GSs, Pans, Blackbirds, VFRs, Fireblades or R1s, on 350+ mile days without rider fatigue. Which is odd. It should not be like that. I hear that they can be a bit of a handful in the wet. Of course, I have done no survey, it is just what I have seen over the last few years.

I normally manage to get in 2 European tours per year, of between 2 to 3,000 miles per tour over 9 to 14 days, with 20 to 30 bikes in the group. Taiwan looks to be a nice place to tour, but for visitors like me, the red-tape conspires to prevent such an indulgence.

I hope that the new Tenere is successful, but I suspect that it may have to go on a diet. See specs here http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xtz1200%2009.htm

Interesting post. The FJR has won most U.S. surveys for best ST bike, and the C14 has been a dud, to the point that Kwak basically re-engineered the bike for 2010. The Pan-European has been replaced by the VFR1200, at least in the States. For tours on the Continent, I’ve always rented Ducatis in Milan, stayed mostly in or near the Alps, and seen mostly BMWs and Ducatis in the Alps. I would take the new Multistrada over an FJR.

I have no trouble with 600 mile / 1000 km days on my FJR on CONUS, but lower foot pegs and a Sargent or Corbin saddle are “must haves”. I can’t imagine doing that many hours a day in the saddle on a Fireblade, R1, etc.

In the true DS category, vs. the ST category, the choices have been the GS or the big Katoom, both of which are premium priced and have other drawbacks (oil valve seals and pumpkins for the GS, parts for the Katoom). Personally, I think the Super Tenere may do well in the DS category, assuming it has Yammie reliability.

It’s easier to rent big ST motos in Japan than in Taiwan if you are a non-resident, and outside the cities, JP is very moto-worthy. All the gaijin-friendly rental places are in Tokyo, though, so you lose a day just getting out of Tokyo and another day getting back into Tokyo. So, were I living in the UK and curious about moto-touring Asia, Japan would be my first stop.

Yes, the FJR gets good write-ups here as well, and I expected to see lots of them about, but I have not - not even on the ferry when crossing to France or Spain. And yes, the Pan has been replaced here too by the VFR1200. I have read that very few have been sold here, and have yet to see one on the road. The Multistradas look good, but the general perception of the people I usually tour with, some of whom have Ducatis, say they would not risk touring on them because of reliability issues. They get moody in the wet apparently, and sometimes don’t start. I have seen a few KTMs on the tours, and they seem to do quite well.
I take your point about touring (one-up of course) on fireblades, R1s etc., and I am surprised by the number of people that do it. They do not walk too upright after 3 or 4 days though.

Most of the tours I do are also based around the Alps, or Pyrenees. I have now done most of the passes in good weather, which was great fun. I have spent more time in the Pyrenees, not as dramatic as the Alps, but great riding, and not many people about. I have two bikes, and the most difficult decision is which one to take, the R1200rt or the K1200RS (2004 model). The RT usually wins because it has all the extras, ESA, heated seat, and that magic screen. Both are fitted with autocom and gps. I find the K marginally more comfortable and ‘natural’ to ride, although it is a bit heavy round town, and picking it up out of hairpins. The RT is much lighter (229kg) and more agile, despite it’s looks. There are normally loads of GSs on these tours, and their riders, mostly newish to biking, get on with varying results.

Thanks for the tip about Japan, but I doubt that I will get around to doing that as I do not know the country at all, and getting in or out of Tokyo must be nightmarish.

Happy riding!

I’ve heard it doesn’t rain in Bologna. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hi everybody.
I got a 1200GS few months ago and I can give you my personal feeling about this bike and why I choosed it.

First of all, why the 1200GS while KTM, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha and even Ducati provide similar bikes.
I wanted to have a shaft instead of a chain.
I do not like very much the water cooling.
I wanted easy access to the basic mecanic as I might have to do the job myself in some hard conditions.

Also the price, I was lucky to find a very good 2007 GS sold by an “old” guy for a “cheap” price.

What I like the most is : Heating handbar, ability to ride in all terrain. Not the best at all but at least good at all. The boxer engine which make the gravity center quite low and thus make the bike very agile.

The week point of this bike is that it’s really light. On snow it’s just a nightmare to ride. (It’s also a very good point :wink: )

I like the look of the bike as it doesn’t have much plastic compared to a japanese bike.

I didn’t tried the Tenere but I guess it’s a very good bike and for most of us design cares more than specifications.

I rode Africa Twin which was very good and quite impressive in pass.

Hope my point of view are not too boring and hope you’ll enjoy the bike you’ll buy.

Valken

Welcome to flob, Valken. Just about anybody here would love to have a boxer GS in the stable (I would also take the 800 GS belt drive, just to be ecumenical), assuming they can get over how butt ugly, errr… I mean “functional looking”, it is.