Yang Ming Shan's Tatun Volcano Still Active

As if we didn’t have enough to worry about, I was reading today that gasses from the fumaroles around Tatun are from magma sources meaning the volcanic area is still active.

I also read another interesting thing the other day relating to the death of that statistics guy from China. Whilst he might have died of a heart attack, it was likely caused by the hydrogen sulfide gas. Normally we think of this gas as being readily detectable because it smells like rotten eggs, but in high concentrations it shuts down our sense of smell. It is lethal in much the same way carbon monoxide is in that it fixes with the hemoglobin in our red blood cells more readily than oxygen. This means that guy probably did die of a heart attack only after his heart tissue was starved of oxygen. They say you should keep the windows open at those sulfur springs, but do they tell you the rotten egg gas is undetectable at high levels.

Did that Chinese guy die here in Yamingshan?

[quote=“Fox”]As if we didn’t have enough to worry about, I was reading today that gasses from the fumaroles around Tatun are from magma sources meaning the volcanic area is still active.

I also read another interesting thing the other day relating to the death of that statistics guy from China. Whilst he might have died of a heart attack, it was likely caused by the hydrogen sulfide gas. Normally we think of this gas as being readily detectable because it smells like rotten eggs, but in high concentrations it shuts down our sense of smell. It is lethal in much the same way carbon monoxide is in that it fixes with the hemoglobin in our red blood cells more readily than oxygen. This means that guy probably did die of a heart attack only after his heart tissue was starved of oxygen. They say you should keep the windows open at those sulfur springs, but do they tell you the rotten egg gas is undetectable at high levels.[/quote]

Jees, now in addition to wondering if my water is recycled I have to think about poisoning myself? Goodbye hotspring culture.

And I was just starting to get over some of my irrational fears… now I’m going to be lying awake at 2am thinking about the volcano erupting. :astonished: :help: :frowning:

Yes. It’s not an uncommon occurance at the hot springs, but it is always described as a heart attack. Nobody thinks twice when they read somebody died of a heart attack as it’s so common, but in fact the heart attack is actually a consequence of being gassed.

I’m a vegetarian; you won’t get gassed by me.