YangMingShan MRT Line

Those interested in transport in Taiwan may like to come to the exhibition ‘Rail Solutions Asia’ at the Convention centre (building right on Hsinyi ko Keelung)
In booth 9 I am showing my proposed YangMingShan MRT line - which could solve the Tien Mou & Yangmingshan transport problems. If built -

Today (Thurs) & tomorrow morn. My number is 0930400027 for info.

Stuart Saunders.

i thought therer was already a proposed LRT solution linking shizi to tianmu - check phase 3 of proposed MRT map

Isn’t Yangming Shan a bit steep for an MRT?

tunnel it and then the worlds longest elevator? :sunglasses:

I was also thinking he was just using MRT as a convenient term

if he actually means yangminshan, then furnicular rail is the better solution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular

tunnel it and then the worlds longest elevator? :sunglasses:[/quote]

Please do not give them any more crazy ideas than they already have. :astonished:

Bad enough with the gondola plans. They love making tunnels. Look, the largest tunnel in Asia!

Now, Screws, if you really want a challenge, how about going to Central America? We don’t even have trains there. Big, virgin market.

“Isn’t Yangming Shan a bit steep for an MRT?”

Yes it is - unless you do it properly. 3 minutes Tien Mou to Yangmingshan, 12 minutes both to Taipei 101 / city hall.

Come and have a look.

Stuart.

Where’s Shizi? (Lion? :eh: )

Where’s Shizi? (Lion? :eh: )[/quote]
社子; the Shezi “peninsula” I guess…Yanping Nth Road Sec. 6.

tunnel it and then the worlds longest elevator? :sunglasses:[/quote]
You’re not far off. I remember the OP from about 9 years ago. He came to a Happy Hour or two with detailed plans and drawings for a Yangming Shan MRT system. It looked pretty cool. Not being an engineer, a city planner, or a politician, I have no idea if it’s viable or not. I’d imagine that an MRT tunnel would make a pretty good lava tube.

lol, I’m no engineer but that sounds like it could be a problem :slight_smile:

If there was any lava in YangMingShan…maybe 1 million years ago might have been a bigger problem. How about if it filled up with toxic sulfurous fumes…not we’re talking.

How about a funicular? Those are cool!

Yangmingshan is a national park. It’s meant to be hiked, not ridden on.

But to hike it, you first have to get there.

There’s something called the bus. I’ve hiked YMS numerous times and have always taken a bus up, either from Jiantan MRT, Shilin MRT or Beitou MRT, depending on which trail I’m hiking. And it’s very convenient. The environmental impact would be too great if an MRT line is built. Do we need another Maokong gondola fiasco? Aren’t you an avid hiker, Chris? How do you get to the trailhead?

Ehem, you haven’t read about recent developments in volcanic formation in Yangminshan, I gather? Tatun is under serious observation.

The problem is with the buses… Yangde Boulevard is so bad that there are traffic restrictions on it during the weekend.

I’ve only hiked a couple times at YMS mainly because the buses to that area suck. There are plenty of easier places to get to.

Doesn’t the MRT red line go almost to Tienmu already? And as for Yangmingshan? Come on! How many people actually live up there? Enough to make an MRT a viable proposition? I don’t think so. They’re already mightily pissed off about the lack of ridership on the Xiaobitan line, and that one has tons of potential riders.

Ehem, you haven’t read about recent developments in volcanic formation in Yangminshan, I gather? Tatun is under serious observation.[/quote]

Datun is a volcano…she could blow at any time! :sunglasses: