Year-end Legislative Elections

[quote=“Falcon”]What are some typical numbers for “representation” at the state level, and how that is proportioned?

In the USA, what is comparable for Taiwan? Texas perhaps?[/quote]
See house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.htm

The Texas House of Representatives has 150 members. The population of the state is about 21,000,000

The good news is that, in a poll conducted by the pro-blue China Times, Lien’s and Soong’s approval ratings have plunged to 28% and 27% respectively. In other words, only their most loyal adherents approve of what they’ve been doing, while almost half the people who cast votes for them in the election do not approve of their post-election shenanigans. That is highly encouraging, and should ring a loud warning bell for those two rogues and their parties. It should be very clear to them that, if they carry on as they’ve been doing, and especially if this dreadful pair remain in charge of their parties, they’re going to pay a very high price in the year-end legislative elections.

It was also worthy of note that 50% of respondents to the poll are in favour of replacing Lien with Ma or Wang as KMT chairman, while only 14% are opposed to it. Could the writing on the wall be any clearer and more pointed than that?

That’s among the best news I’ve heard all day. Many thanks Omni.

HG

And one can imagine that the paper will be trying to let the two maintain some face and that the numbers are ‘softened’ somewhat as it is… The writing’s on the wall guys, let me phone my travel agent for you and book some tickets to Beijing, first class. Via Hong Kong of course. Buh bye.

Err … don’t start celebrating too soon. The same poll showed that Chen Shui Bian’s rating had dropped to 34% - so not that much better than Lien & Soong.

The interesting stat was that 47% of people were undecided about who they would vote for in the legislative elections - which implies that the ‘deep divisions in Taiwanese society’ aren’t quite as deep as you might think.
Incidentally, the report on it is here:
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003136836

Yes, and this paper’s polls were predicting an easy pan-blue win going into the elections…

I believe the KMT will need to adopt a less senority base system of those they put up for election also. By adhering strictly to senority process now in place in the KMT, they will never be able to project the image that the masses in ROC will embrace.

That being said. I also feel the DDP is fanning this ethnic issue to something that will make the race roits in the USA during the sixties look like a kindergander’s birthday party.