Year of the (Stray) Dog

Get ready to see more dogs on the street.

I’ve got to say at the Warner Village exhibition this past weekend, my wife was shocked to see the amount of breeders that attended. I think her exact words were “why do they think they won’t get chased out?” I just reminded her that most people wouldn’t see a problem with the breeders, even if we did. I don’t think they even recognized there was a problem with the clubs that only allow members who own a particular breed of dog :noway:

Though I think the booth advertising the “my dog” visa cards (right near Animals Taiwan) was pushing it a little bit.

PS. You’d think getting a puppy for free would be better than forking out tens of thousands of dollars, right? :loco:

An inbred purebred…with long list of medical problems and an I.Q. which is borderline retarded for a dog with a price of 60,000nt.

OR

A highly intelligent, healthy, strong and communicative street dog for free.

The choice is obvious! Give me the purebred! Why? Well, cause it’ll make me look cool on the one day a month when I take it to the park! :sunglasses: And as an added bonus due to it’s low intelligence it’ll clean up after itself by eating it’s own feces…less work for me!

That article states that 95% of all stray dogs are likely to be abandoned pets. That is an effing disgrace. Where did these people go to school?

Erm, at places run by people like…your boss???

The article also says the top breed of the moment is the Red Toy Poodle, followed by[quote] Maltese, Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, Pomeranians, Shiba Inus, Shi Tzus, Beagles, and Siberian Huskies, in that order.[/quote]

Personally, I’m less worried about the smaller dogs, which I imagine are less likely to be abandoned, and more likely to be re-adopted if abandoned, as they are “cuter” and better adapted to apartment life. I worry most about the northern climate dogs, which don’t belong on a tropical island, and the big, active dogs, which need more exercise and space than most owners can likely provide.

Taiwan needs more Stray Dogs, not more stray dogs.

[quote=“Dragonbones”] I worry most about the northern climate dogs, which don’t belong on a tropical island, and the big, active dogs, which need more exercise and space than most owners can likely provide.
[/quote]Hard to disagree with that…And while I’m struggling to find homes for strays, I have to listen to my workmate rave about his new Husky. :fume: When I told him I had pups for adoption his first words were “what breed are they?” I answered “Heinz 57”. He looked disapointed… This guy is Canadian BTW so it’s not just a Taiwanese cultural issue, it’s the culture of human stupidity.

bobepine

Well, I won’t go so far as to call someone stupid for liking (and therefore wanting) a particular breed, but I do hope that with more education about how severe the strays problem is and how many inbreeding problems purebreds can have, those individuals will give some stray dogs a chance first.

I really don’t understand the point of having a Husky in taiwan…

You foreigners just don’t understand Taiwan nouveau riche culture!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Well, I won’t go so far as to call someone stupid for liking (and therefore wanting) a particular breed, but I do hope that with more education about how severe the strays problem is and how many inbreeding problems purebreds can have, those individuals will give some stray dogs a chance first.[/quote]I’m not saying liking or wanting a Husky is stupid. What I’m saying is getting one when living in a country such as Taiwan is pretty inconsiderate and stupid. No doubt about that in my mind.

bobepine

Then I’m guessing you don’t also understand why huge droves of people flock to department stores to buy designer brands at 10 times the cost of regular brand items that do the same job.

Yeah, I don’t understand either :loco:

I live in Montana, USA. People here love Huskies too. There are a lot of them in this town of 50,000 people. I adopted one from the Humane Society in 2001. People love them because they are gorgeous, smart, social, and they make great pets. Almost every time I take my dogs out (I have 2, the other is half border collie, half black lab-who is also adopted) people say what a gorgeous dog the Husky is. People just really connect with them for deeper reasons than we know. They are closely related to the first types of dogs that humans decided to keep as companions many centuries ago.

I have been to Taipei and I have considered living there. After much thinking, however, I decided my Husky would not like living in: a) a crowded city, b) a sub-tropical country, and c) an island with few places to run like a crazy boy and sniff everything in sight and chase deer and roll in poop and dead stuff. So I will remain in Montana so my dogs can live out their golden years here, near clean rivers, forests and mountains.

If you are going to have a Husky, you better have a lot of open space where you live, and you better have a very active lifestlyle; otherwise your beloved Husky is going to be very miserable. They are very active, very smart, very loyal, very funny, very vocal and very gorgeous. They are almost human. They are not a Gucci handbag.

Don’t encourage any importation of Huskies to sub-tropical countries. Let them roam the cold, northern regions.

Dogs rule,

John

culture of human stupidity.

Couldn’t agree more Bobepine.