Yehliu - Is the Queen's Head still standing?

Just a quick question (and yes, I have searched.) One of my (young, therefore not sure if reliable) students recently told me that the Queen’s Head rock formation in Yehliu has collapsed. Is this true? Has anyone seen it in the last few months or so and can verify this? Or verify that it is still OK?
Thanks in advance.

[quote=“bababa”]Just a quick question (and yes, I have searched.) One of my (young, therefore not sure if reliable) students recently told me that the Queen’s Head rock formation in Yehliu has collapsed. Is this true? Has anyone seen it in the last few months or so and can verify this? Or verify that it is still OK?
Thanks in advance.[/quote]It was there a year ago. Don’t know about now.

How about that story in previous editions of the Lonely Planet? Was the queen’s head really stolen then later returned by remorseful thieves?

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“bababa”]Just a quick question (and yes, I have searched.) One of my (young, therefore not sure if reliable) students recently told me that the Queen’s Head rock formation in Yeliu has collapsed. Is this true? Has anyone seen it in the last few months or so and can verify this? Or verify that it is still OK?
Thanks in advance.[/quote]It was there a year ago. Don’t know about now.

How about that story in previous editions of the Lonely Planet? Was the queen’s head really stolen then later returned by remorseful thieves?[/quote]

I was there about 3-4 months ago and it was still there, but looked to me that one decent push would finish her off :smiling_imp:
I find that theft story hard to believe to as the head/neck/shoulders looked to be once piece of rock fused to the ground, and would weigh about a ton, so a bit tricky to steal.

[quote=“truant”]I find that theft story hard to believe to as the head/neck/shoulders looked to be once piece of rock fused to the ground, and would weigh about a ton, so a bit tricky to steal.[/quote]I think that story was in older editions; it’s not in the 2001 one and of course not in the completely redone 2004 one.

IIRC the head was supposed to have been sawn off. Presumably it was reattached with some very strong glue! But I too have my suspicions about the story. As you say it looks like one piece of rock with no visible joint line.

I’m pretty sure that it’s still there, although it’s been a year or so since I last saw it. The first time I went, I didn’t see it at all becuase my wife was convinced that ti had fallen over. I’ve heard from other people that it had fallen over too, but it’s always been still there. Must be a recurring rumour.

(It’s not that special anyway).

Brian

it’s head, and good head…but not outstanding head.

The head was still attatched two months ago.