Yet another mass shooting in the US

So you guys have just concluded that TL is full of crap?

“TL”? Traditional Latin?

1 Like

That’s a bit harsh.

The homophobic angle however is really a thing in Taiwan. You’d know that if you were here during the same-sex marriage referendum, where some of the Christian churches in Taiwan (not the Catholics, as far as I could tell) picked up and used some of the most extreme homophobic rhetoric they could find. The won the referendum battle, but the courts smacked it down and asked the legislature to come up with a nondiscriminatory law pronto. That, however, is another topic and another thread.

Guy

Yeah, same here.

I was taught the opposite.

I was told by evangelicals that Catholics are real stickler for rules, the seven deadly sins and all that, burn heretics at the stake, mass persecutions in the middle age, and all that. One prominent evangelicals even compared the catholics with the whore of revelations. I mean their bad behavior in the 1500s (which was caused by a series of bad management causing financial difficulties for the church) was what promoted the Reformation to start and the start of all the evangelical churches.

You given me a lot to think about… maybe I should give catholic church a try.

1 Like

Lutheran is a good middle ground.

I’ve not seen a Lutheran church in Taiwan…

See a lot of baptist and “Bread of life” church, Presbyterian and pentacostal churches though…

Yes, agree. Even though my mother would not have been called a super devout Christian…she displayed Christian qualities. Giving to the poor. Doing volunteer work. When she learned that one of her favorites among my friends was gay…not a bad word said.

Let me give a story about my mom. When I was 17 one morning I informed her that I was not getting much out of mass so would not be going with her. When I got home at night my father told me my mother had been crying all day. I went in to talk to her and she told me that I was her last hope. My sister did not go to mass. My brother did not go. And now…even after footing 12 years of private Catholic tuition (we were lower middle class income) I still did not want to go to mass. I really did not know my mother took this so seriously. Watching her crying was making me miserable so I promised to go to mass. But she said that religion was my own independent decision and I should not go to mass just because of her. Looking back…my mom did and said alot of cool things. Well, but after our talk my father took me in the car to see my brother who just got back from being stationed in the navy in Japan. In his apartment my father sat us down and said very clearly that if mom wanted us to go to mass…well, “WE WOULD GO TO MASS”. This is from a father of few words. My brother turned to me and said “what the hell did you do?” After that I did not go every week but did go with mom on the big ones…Christmas, Easter, etc.

2 Likes

It is, however, in my defense, I feel it’s warranted. But, relax, it’s the internet— ahhh! :grimacing: :grin: :smoker:

download

From an aging dad, you did good!

Jesus never said anything about sexual orientation so that may be why we rank and file Catholics don’t have anything to say about it. I consider it none of my business. My business is confined to dragging myself out of bed this morning to drive thirty minutes to mass in a small church with twenty or so ancient Japanese parishioners.where everything will be conducted in Japanese including the sermon. I’ll feel right at home though because the ritual is the same.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t understand why many Christians think it’s their duty to enforce God’s laws.

I believe if God isn’t happy about something in your life, the Holy Spirit will deal with you, otherwise just try to be a good human being.

From my limited understanding of Jesus, he mostly told people to tend their own house and leave other people alone. Which seems like good advice.

1 Like

Parts of the OT also compares busybodies (basically people who seems to make it their calling to stick their nose into other people’s businesses) as murderers and thieves. They are what makes authoritarian regimes possible.

That was to fulfill a prophesy that he be counted amongst the transgressors,.not for action with the swords.

36He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
37It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’ b ; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”
38The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”
“That’s enough!” he replied.

ThIs is the mass murder thread. Can we not sully it with religion?

3 Likes

Badass mom doesn’t have a lot of nice things to say about the local police…

2 Likes

God died in April 1966 and five months later America’s first mass murder happened so maybe there’s a connection.

Have you seen Under The Banner of Heaven on NF yet? Lots of god there, old timey god.