Yet another school shooting in Canada

canadaka.net/link.php?id=36791

A 16-year-old student is in critical condition in hospital after he was shot outside a Toronto high school, one of three shootings in the city on Tuesday that left two men dead.

The school shooting happened just before noon outside Bendale Business and Technical Institute near Midland Avenue and Lawrence Avenue.

According to Toronto police Chief Bill Blair, the 16-year-old became involved in an altercation “with a number of young men” when one pulled out a gun and fired.

By the time police arrived, the injured teen had managed to get inside and was found in a pool of blood in the main hallway.

Blair said the teen was shot once in the stomach or chest, and was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital, where he is in critical condition.

The victim is a student at Bendale, but Blair refused to give any further information.

One man was killed and another sent to hospital after a shooting in northwest Toronto at a playground near Jane Street and Driftwood Avenue.

Police arrived on the scene around 5:15 p.m. to find two victims had been shot on a basketball court. One was pronounced dead at the scene. The second victim was rushed to hospital and is expected to live, according to police.

Three suspects were seen speeding away in a silver or grey sedan southbound on Jane Street.

And in Mississauga, a man believed to be in his 20s was reportedly shot dead around 4 p.m. while he was sitting inside his car on Reindeer Drive, near Derry and Airport roads. Witnesses said the man was shot at point-blank range as he was waiting for someone to enter the car.

Police were still on the scene Tuesday evening collecting evidence.
Looking for suspect in school shooting

In the Bendale shooting, a person of interest was taken into custody for questioning around 4:30 p.m., but has not been named as a suspect.

Police said earlier in the day they were looking for one suspect described as “a male, black, 18 to 19 years old, approximately 5-foot-8, and … last seen going [through] Donwood Park onto Norbury Crescent,” according to Const. Wendy Drummond.

At least three other males were involved in the fight and ran away after the shooting. They are being sought by police.

A nearby resident has reported finding a black hooded sweatshirt on her property about two blocks south of the school. Police roped off the yard and believe the clothing may have been worn by the shooter or his accomplices.

Connelly called the shooting “tragic.”

“We cannot prevent every single incident,” she told reporters on the front lawn of the school, but she said the board is taking “every step it can to ensure the safety of the students.”

A couple of dozen concerned parents and area residents gathered behind yellow police tape as news helicopters buzzed overhead, with all eyes fixed on the school’s doors waiting for any sign of movement.

This week, following last week’s start of the new school year, armed police officers began patrolling 27 Toronto high schools, but Bendale is not among them.

Coincidentally, it was almost exactly a year ago — on Sept. 11, 2007 — that 16-year-old Dinesh Murugiah was stabbed to death in a laneway behind nearby Winston Churchill Collegiate Institute at Lawrence Avenue East and Kennedy Road.

Winston Churchill is now one of the schools with an armed police officer on site during the school year.

In May 2007, Jordan Manners, 15, was shot and killed inside C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute in northwest Toronto. That slaying prompted increased security measures at Toronto schools.

The thing I think is most interesting about this story is that the Canadian news source mentioned the skin color or the perpetrator. I thought this just wasn’t done in Canada.
And I’m surprised to hear about all of the schools with armed police. I’ve never met a Canadian who mentioned such a thing.
Things really seem to be changing, and not for the better, why?
And, my condolances for the victims and their families. Peace.

That’s hardly what is normally referred to as a school shooting, i.e. someone running into a school with guns and randomly shooting at people. As the article points out this was the result of an altercation that happens to have taken place near a school.

:thumbsdown:

First of all, the shooting happened outside of the school as indicated by the story. Second, the victim himself has been charged with armed robbery, so this appears to be a case of a robbery gone wrong that happened just outside of the school of the victim. Third, the news source quoted the police description of the person they’re looking for, which as far as I can remember, always includes the skin colour or perceived ethnicity of the person.

As for armed police patrolling schools, this is a response to an unfortunate increase in gang violence in Toronto.

Tell me more about the gangs in Toronto. Are they multicultural?

Well Toronto being the most culturally diverse city in the world certainly has lots of different gangs. However, street gangs are seldom multicultural. Here is a list:
10th Street Boys, 18Buddahs, AK Kannan, All Crips Gang a.k.a. (ACG), Ardwick Blood Crew (A.B.C.), Asian Assassinz, Asociacion Ñeta, Bay Mills Crips, Big Circle Boys, Blake Street Massive, Block 13, Byrd Gang (B.G.), Chalkfarm Bloods, Chester Le Crew aka (CLC), Christie Boys, Connection Young Bloods, Dawes Road Crips a.k.a (DRC), Dixon True Bloods, Driftwood Crips, Eglinton West Crips (EWC), Falstaff Crips, Five Point Generalz (aka 5PGz), Galloway Boys, Ghetto Boys, Ghost Town Crips, Gilder Block Deciplez, Glendower Crips, Jamestown Crew (aka Doomstown Crips), Juice Mob, Jungle City Goonz, Junior Gatorz, L.A. Boys, Latin Browns, Latin Crips, Latin Kings, Lil’ Gangsta Crips, Lil’ Rascalz, Luen Kung Lok, Malvern Crew, Markham Boyz, Mother Nature’s Mistakes (MNM), Mornelle Court Crew, Mount Olive Crips (M.O.C.), MS-13, New Born Crips (NBC), Norteños, Orton Park Bloods (O.P.B.), Pacos Pero Locos, Pelham Park Bloods, Point Blank Souljahs, Project Originals (P.O. Boys), Shoreshot Crips, Silent Soldiers, Silver Boys, Stick-Up Kids, The Gatorz, Trethewey Gangsta Killaz (TGK), True Portuguese Bloods, Tuxedo Boys, Versace Crew, VVT, Y-Block Blood Niggaz

Jamaican gangs are frequently in the media.