Yet another Visa complication. 2 Affidavits of Marriage needed?

Again, I’m from the US, married to a Taiwan citizen. We want to fly to Okinawa to get my Visa so I can stay in Taiwan (currently just using a passport and doing ‘passport runs’).

I went to AIT to get an Affidavit. It’s titled “Affidavit Regarding Marital Status”. It’s all signed and ready to go. However, the place in Okinawa said it is a “single certificate” and that we need to apply for ANOTHER “Affidavit of Marriage” from AIT.

Why?

Then they sent us a picture, of what they need, and it’s literally just the same thing as the affidavit we currently have. I think they are confused, but I don’t know how they could possibly be confused, since we sent them photos…

Yeah I think it’s different. It’s basically a recognition by the US government that you are married. The previous one was a recognition by the US government of your statement that you were not married.

This seems to be the form?

2 Likes

Thank you a ton! I will print that out. :slight_smile:

Do you need to authenicate this form. I got it notarized and went to BOCA to get it authenticated but they say they don’t know what’s it for.

Sorry, no idea. If they don’t know what it is, doesn’t that mean you don’t need it?

Yea hopefully not. Thanks.