Yilan-Linkou without car

I might have to travel from Yilan City to Linkou once per week for a job. I don’t have a car but I might have someone pick me up in Taipei. What would be the best way to get there in case 1) I go there completely on my own, or 2) someone picks me up somewhere in Taipei?

There a bunch of buses that leave Taipei City everyday.
Probably all leave by way of the bus station at Taipei Main.

Be sure to take the busses that go through the tunnel. A bajillion times safer.

[quote=“Lili”]There a bunch of buses that leave Taipei City everyday.
Probably all leave by way of the bus station at Taipei Main.

Be sure to take the busses that go through the tunnel. A bajillion times safer.[/quote]Ok. How long does it take from Taipei Main? Do they leave from the “new” bus terminal so that it’s just a quick change?

If your going to Taipei Main Station, might as well take a train. Dependable, safer, not dependent on traffic or weather…

For getting to Yilan the train is much slower than the bus.

I haven’t tried getting one from Taipei Main Station. But buses leave for Yilan from the bus station next to the Taipei City Hall MRT station. Reaching the Yilan train station takes about 50 minutes.

For clarity: I know very well how to go between Yilan and Taipei. Even though trains are way more comfortable and better for the environment someone forgot to tell that to the guys who made the Hsueshan tunnel. Thus the train takes twice the time to get to Taipei compared to a bus. There are buses that stop at City Hall and Main Station. Also some of those going to main station stop at a few places around town first. What I want to know is how to get from one of those points to Linkou, either by bus/train/MRT or by car. For example there might be some super fast tunnel or highway or some great train connection.